G1J Review

manufacturer: Zoom date: 06/09/2010 category: Guitar Effects
Zoom: G1J
Zoom has created the G1J pedal featuring John 5's favorite and most innovative guitar sounds.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.7
 Ease of Use: 8
 9.5
 9.2
 9.8
reviews (3) pictures (1) 4 comments vote for this gear:
G1J Reviewed by: jeffo46, on april 01, 2010

Purchased from: American Musical Supply

Ease of Use: I just got this in yesterday and it comes with a Guitar Pick, a John 5 Poster, a card from John 5, and another card, explaining what the displays are, which I've found to be very helpful when making my own settings. It has 40 of John 5's settings and 40 user settings, along with 20 amp/distortion settings and over 50 something different effects. It runs on 4 "A" Batteries or you can use the enclosed AC adaptor which'll save you a lot of coin on batteries. The casing is made of plastic, while the bottom of it is made of metal. The instructions were kind of hard to follow, so I went to www.gearwire.com where they have a video explaining how to set up your patches. Once I saw that, setting this up was a breeze. // 9

Sound: I'm using my 2006 Fender MIM Standard Strat and a 2009 Fender Frontman 65R Combo which by itself, sounds okay, but adding this to it, adds another whole dimension. The effects on this are great and sound remarkable in comparison to Digitech's RP line. The Reverbs and choruses actually ring out, while the distortions sound bright and crisp and don't have that muddiness that the RP's have to them. I just can't believe the difference in tone between this and the DigiTech Rp's of which I have owned several in the past and have sold because I wasn't pleased with them. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I baby everything I own and this is no exception, so reliability shouldn't be a issue here. I could see myself using this at a gig, considering that I've used a DigiTech RP-50 at several gigs in the past and never had any problems with that. If you take care of your equipment, it'll last you a lifetime. I'm a firm believer in that motto. // 9

Overall Impression: I play Classic rock and 80's hair Metal and this is the pedal that I've been looking for, believe it or not. I'd wish I had come across this much earlier and am kicking myself in the ass for not. I've always looked at Zoom in the past as a cheap DigiTech knockoff, but not anymore. I definately reccommend this pedal for anyone who is on a low budget or is a beginner who would like to add some effects to their rig. For $50.00, this is one hell of a bargain and sounds a helluva lot better than any of Digitech's RP pedals IMO! // 10

G1J Reviewed by: Victor Escobar, on september 29, 2009

Purchased from: Amazon

Ease of Use: This was the first pedal that I have ever bought. I bought it on a recommendation from a friend of mine. Although I never owned a pedal, every pedal I had used before that was analog so it was hard to use a digital one. I've gotten the hang of it since then but I encounter problems every now and then. Editing patches is one of its best features. You will be able to create your own signature tone as I did. // 7

Sound: I don't have a lot money so alot of my gear is beginner equipment so I run this pedal through an Epiphone Les Paul Special II and an Epiphone 15w Amp. Man is this pedal one loud motherf--ker. I had never had my amp sound this loud. The patches have a lot of weird effects that seem useless but there are some great ones that you will without a doubt be using on your own Original songs. Well its a John 5 signature pedal, so you do get to sound like John. If you work around with some of the effects you can achieve some other tones. I've gotten some Metallica, NIN, AC/DC, Chet Atkins and a ton more. The one problem I have is that it can get a little to loud at times so i usually play when no one is home. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Well as it is my only pedal, I would depend on it. The top is plastic so you do have to be gentle with it. The bottom is metal with somecushioners on it so its is fine on the floor. I haven't used it on stage yet but I've used it tons of time during band practice and some recordings. // 10

Overall Impression: If it werent for John 5, I would have never picked up a guitar. One thing that I heavily take from him is the fact that he plays all kinds of music. I can play some bluegrass and I can play some Death Metal. My band is a metal band (we sound like Metallica/Megadeth) and yes this pedal does achieve some great metal tones. I've been playing for almost two years and every time I plug this bad boy in I just get a Rush of inspiration. I don't know what I would do if I lost this pedal. If ti were stolen I'd probably have to hunt down and murder the guy Who stole it. Some cool extras that come along with the pedal are a John 5 poster, a special John 5 Pick and a greeting card from John himself. A word of warning though: if you want to store your own personal effect you have to delete one of Johns. I deleted the "American Witch" one as it sounded nothing like it. // 10

G1J Reviewed by: mattbarden13, on june 09, 2010

Purchased from: Amazon.com

Ease of Use: Pretty easy to use once you get used to the simplicity of it. Some of the sound patches that come preloaded are very close to some of the sounds I've heard John use before. They don't really give you his basic tone at all, but some his effected out noises are reproduced pretty accurately to my ear. // 8

Sound: I was pretty skeptical about this being its so cheap, so I did my internet research first and found some vids of guys using it and I wanted to try for myself. I'm primarily using a les paul and I run it through 2 full range powered speakers and I have no problems getting a Killer sound. For my dirty tones, I really like the model of the Marshall 2000. I use this for my main tone, the 5150 and Deizel are pretty good for layering. I love the Acoustic sim on this, sounds great even with high output buckers. The effects overall are pretty good and plentiful especially considering the cost. You've got compression, autowah, booster, numerous delays, cab sims, choruses, pitchshifting and harmonizers and a few others. Trust me at least one thing on this will be worth your 60 bucks and you get so much more compared to just a single effect pedal. The noise gate is kind of weird though, you have to use it very sparingly or you affect the attack to much. I still prefer using its gate to my Boss gate though. // 9

Reliability & Durability: So far it has been very dependable and works incredibly well with all my other gear. No backup needed, maybe extra batteries if you choose to power it that way. Its strange looking at the floorboard and seeing this pedal that is literally 1/5th the size of my old X3L pushing out something that to me sounds much clearer and less digital, even though it still is. // 10

Overall Impression: I gave up on my X3L after Line 6 repeatedly dropped the ball with assisting me in fixing the usb audio dropout problem. Long story short, I sold it and will never buy a product from them again. I've tried Digitech, gag me please. I've tried Boss, I hate the interface. The economy sucks so I can't buy nine hundred stompboxes and amps. So I decided to check out Zoom, and this little guy packs a lot of fun. John 5 has a very diverse knowledge of guitar styles, so you can pretty much use this for anything. I myself play a wide variety, so I really need the flexibility of modeling units. Super cleans to the soaring gain, tripped out effects and even a built in rhythm machine. I like it so much, I decided to order the bass guitar model as well (also 59.99) I will review that when it comes in and I've had ample time to mess with it. // 9

More Zoom reviews rating category latest review
+ G1XNext 8.3 Guitar Effects 06/09/2014