G1Next Review

manufacturer: Zoom date: 03/09/2012 category: Guitar Effects
Zoom: G1Next
Very easy to use and the sound itself is interesting. Be patient with the Zoom, it's easy to use once you figure it out and the sound possibilities are endless.
 Reliability & Durability: 7.3
 Ease of Use: 8.7
 6.9
 8.5
 5.3
reviews (6) pictures (2) 15 comments vote for this gear:
G1Next Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 16, 2011

Price paid: C$ 99

Ease of Use: Exceptionally easy to create satisfying sounds very quickly... If you have a good ear for tone. Editing is as simple as it gets, just turn the knobs until the desired tone and effects are identified and save it. Copying patches can be done in seconds. The manual is straight forward for the most part, however, as with most products, you end up figuring out how it works on your own. Once you get the hang of this unit, you'll enjoy editing. // 9

Sound: Yamaha RGX 521 (20 years old now, still excellent to play). Marshall VS265(built in Chorus) - Have had amp for 14 years. No noise what so ever, noise gate on Zoom is very effective. The effects are very strong and easy to manipulate and if you have a good ear for both tone and effects, you can create some unbelievably rich sounding patches. Quite simple duplicate some of my favorite artist sounds. I love Brian "Too Loud" MacLeod's tone (Headpins), Neil Schon (Journey), Gary Moore, Mark Knopfler, Tommy Emmanuel, Angus Young. Distortion/Delay/Wah/Phaser are excellent. Flanging is certainly fine although it's not an effect that I particularly incorportate into my patches. To touch back on the Delay Effect - this products delay features are high end, simply amazing. It's easy to create a "slap back" sound with long delay (digital, echo, analog, ping-pong) because you have the ability to use 2 types of delay at the same time! Once figure out how to do this, you'll be amazed at the sounds you can create in seconds! // 10

Reliability & Durability: It is dependable. I've had mine for more than 1 year and it simply does what it's supposed to do. Take care of it, don't abuse it and you'll be fine. Zoom has been a pretty reliable brand in the music world. I'd been using Boss products (Delay/Chorus) in the past however after hearing Zoom G1Next and subsequently purchasing it, I'd be hard pressed to go back to Boss although they make an extremely good product as well. // 10

Overall Impression: Have played for 30 years, enjoy playing funk rhythm's, upbeat blues with gritty solos, rock, country. Enjoy the auto-wach on this unit. Very easy to use and the sound itself is interesting. Would definitely replace it if it were lost Personally, I have no issues with the Zoom G1Next, I simply love it. It does what it's designed to do and is quite user-friendly. From and editing persective, just be patient with it - don't be afraid to play around with it, edit edit edit... You'll be amazed at the sounds you can create. This product is designed for editing patches. That said, don't be overly critical of this unit if you are playing through a cheap amp and using low end guitar. The higher end products you use, the more enjoyable the product will be. Be patient with the Zoom, it's easy to use once you figure it out and the sound possibilities are endless... Really! I've created some patches that sound so professional and it only took a minute or two via editing. // 9

G1Next Reviewed by: jeffo46, on october 18, 2011

Ease of Use: This is fairly easy to get a good sound out of it, providing you have some patience. Editing your own patches can take some time but are definitely worth it IMO. The manual is very easy to understand if you take the time to read it thoroughly. This is a very good buy and well worth it. // 10

Sound: The sound on this is IMO, much better than any of the DigiTech RP series of pedals. I recently sold a RP-70 that I had, just so I could get this. The Acoustic guitar setting on this, is the best that I have ever heard. I'm using my Fender and Squier Strats with this through my Crate GX-65 and it definitely adds a whole new dimension to my amp's sound. The effects aren't overbearing and muddy and sound absolutely great. Of course though, you do have to have some patience to get the exact sound that you want, especially on your gain settings, but once you do, you won't look back. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I just got this on Tuesday and used it last night with my band at a gig and it passed with flying stars. So to all the naysayers who say that this isn't gig worthy, get your heads out of your asses. Even though the casing is made of plastic, I'm sure this could last a lifetime providing you don't stomp on it with your full body weight. // 10

Overall Impression: I would definitely replace this if anything happened to it. This pedal is good for any kind of music, from Blues to Metal. I've been playing for over 37 years and IMO, this is the best effects processor for it's price today. I highly recommend this for either a beginner or anyone who is on a low budget like myself. // 10

G1Next Reviewed by: fuzzhead098, on august 25, 2011

Price paid: C$ 100

Purchased from: Guitarworks

Ease of Use: I purchased my G1Next about a year and a half ago and still rely on it daily. Although like most multi effects pedals, it initially take a while to get used to, I can now edit anything from EQ to Drive on the fly using only my feet. Editing patches easy relatively straight forward and self explanitory, simply editing and then pressing "Store". Poof! Like magic! The manual is extremely helpful and I've refered to it countless times. I have never tampered with the electronics and so far haven't had to. One down side to the pedal is the lack of ability to manipulate multiple aspects at the same time (eg. Wah-wah from Wah/FX can't be switched on and off while Phaser from Modulation is on). This can be avoided by calibrating one effect to the expression pedal and the other set to be switched on and off with the buttons. // 9

Sound: My typical live setup is my Epiphone Casino through, in respective order, a Vox Wah, Boss Blues Driver and then my G1Next. This is all fed into my Typhoon JB-30 Bass Combo amp which provides a wonderful warm tone any guitarist could appreciate. Typically live, my blues driver will provide most distortion and I'll use the G1Next for things such as Phaser, Delay, Reverb and even a tuner in bypass mode. G1Next provide 40+ excellent factory set patches here are a few I use very often: A0: a sharp edgy distortion best for shred guitarists A3: auto Wah funk Overdrive ala Red Hot Chili Peppers A5: a knarly distortion remincent of the legendary Biff Muff pedal A6: U2ish jangly delay A7: squeaky clean tone with creamy phaser B1: jangly Beatles Vox AC-30 B2: wooly fuzz modeled after Hendrix's Fuzz Face B3: staple classic rock tone B6: Brian May of Queen's screaming high end tone C4: a mellow tremolo Overdrive perfect for arpeggios C6: gives even you active pickup humbucker the infamous single coil Stevie Ray Vaughn Statocaster tone. Most of the effects in the pedal are stompbox quality. My personal favourites include the octavers, phaser, Compressor and tremolo. Some of the octave down sounds and pitch modulator can be a bi iffy and your best to just stay away from them. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The fact I've used it at every one of my gigs should answer any reliability issues. Although can be run by AA batteries, my OCD side compels my to use the included AC adaptor. Although the plastic buttons and stitches look rather cheap, the structural integrity of the pedal is still 100%. The expresion pedal has become a bit squeaky, I'm sure a little bit of oil will solve that problem. // 8

Overall Impression: I play a very diverse range of music so the G1Next is the perfect fit. It is an excellent space saver for any pedal board at an unbeatable price. I would rebuy this pedal again without a single thought. Although lacking some of the variety and freedom of some other multi effects pedal on the market, the price is unbeatable. If you want to hear the G1Next in a live concert scenario, simply visit our YouTube channel. // 9

G1Next Reviewed by: jrodgersFender, on september 12, 2011

Price paid: A$ 125

Purchased from: Allans Music

Ease of Use: This pedal is quite honestly a pain to work with, it has a huge range of Fx, amp models and other key patch elements but accessing them requires the manual(which is comprehensive) being ever present, patch editing is time consuming and irritating, but when you get past that the patches themselves are great. // 7

Sound: I am running the G1Next with a Eganator Tweaker amp and my Fender Blacktop Jag, this set up works well with pedal, but the fx really come into their own when paired with a dedicated "heavy" guitar like an SG or my friends ESP, the artist tones are great, ranging from George Harrison, Steve Via to both the Metallica boys tones. This wide range of artist banks means its great for cover artists, plus the expression pedal means one can add some muse like craziness to the Distortion settings, the overall sound is excellent! // 9

Reliability & Durability: Let me stress that this is not a good on stage pedal at all! It sounds fine at onstage levels but the interface just doesn't cut it in the heat of the moment, to switch from a basic Overdrive in the chorus of a song to the Wah that I need for the solo requires a great deal of menu surfing which onstage is not a good thing! If your looking for an onstage pedal board Opt for something by Boss. // 5

Overall Impression: Overall, this is a good practice pedal which can handle recording just fine, the Whammy setting is fantastic and can handle the "new born" solo by muse just fine! This is one element of the pedal I just love, and its over $200 cheaper than the Digi-tech Whammy used by matt bellamy. If your going to use this board live, use it as part of a setup, don't rely on it to do all the work, instead treat it as if its a DigiTech Whammy, don't worry about FX cycling on stage, if your like me the Boss - ME50 does that job to perfection, or if your very lucky look at a Rockatron all access before you look at this Pedal. A good budget option for a beginner to intermediate live player...but maybe Zoom would have greater success with an easier interface? // 8

G1Next Reviewed by: MoroneSaxatilis, on january 10, 2012

Purchased from: Amazon.com

Ease of Use: Easy to use, and quite easy to edit patches. At first it seems a bit daunting, but it's really quite simple. Be careful not to store over any patches you might like, however. Easy enough to re-set if you do. The manual for it is huge, but it's quite easy to understand. It took me about a day to get over the fear of messing it up by editing a patch... First one I did was amazing, and I've been trying them out since. Easy enough to find user made patches on the intarwebz to try out. // 9

Sound: You need no amp or cab, you can plug phones into it if you wish, as long as they the phones have the correct sized jack (1/4). I have used it through a Crate V18, and my guitar is an Xaviere 550. While not noisy through the Crate, the sound is much more pure through phones or through a cab, what I think the makers intended it to sound like. The effects are quite good, some are quite punchy, and mimic the effects of several amps and cabs, from Fenders to Marshalls to Vox's. The artist modeling is a little bit thin sounding, in my opinion, most of them require a bass or treble adjustment to make them sound better. Drum backing tracks are okay, but could use more variation. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It seems plastic and the ports seems a bit cheap, so much so I have concerns when I plug into it that they will crack. It hasn't yet. For the price, I feel that they could have put some more beefy ports in it to plug into without it soundling like plastic about to give. // 5

Overall Impression: I'm going to rate this from the patches I have been able to find on line and upload along with the pre-prog'd patches already in it. This thing rules. This pedal replaced my Bad Monkey and my HR-2 Boss. It does so much more. I certainly would replace it if it were lost or stolen. I am in love with a Steve Vai and a Slash patch that I prog'ed into it; they are a dead match for the tone. I wish you could prog' the drum tracks, which would make this the ultimate pedal anywhere, but that may be asking too much. I was going to buy just a plain Wah pedal, I am so glad I bought this instead. // 10

G1Next Reviewed by: KeithBragg, on march 09, 2012

Ease of Use: I've had this pedal for about two years now, it's fairly easy to use for both beginners and experts alike. This was my first pedal, and I figured it out within minutes of getting it. Another useful feature that I love, is the built in tuner it has, while it may not be the most pinpoint accurate tuner in the world, it works well enough as a replacement in case you've lost your other one. // 8

Sound: When using this pedal, due to the extreme feedback I get on larger amps, I use a Marshall MG10. I use a Dean Razorback Cemetery Gates, or an ESP/LTD Viper 10, depending on the genre I feel like playing at any given time. The pedal has a very wide variety of sounds you can use, it's an excellent pedal for practicing with, and it has the ability to make great tones for almost any genre, from Death Metal, to Grunge, it even has an acoustic patch. I've found it to be a great pedal for things like Bush, Nirvana, Stone Temple Pilots, as well as more modern bands, like Disturbed, Bullet For My Valentine, or Avenged Sevendfold. // 9

Reliability & Durability: As mentioned in the "Sound" category, when plugged in to a large amp, this pedal seems to generate a ridiculous amount of feedback. Personally, I wouldn't bring it on any large shows because of that, You'd have a hard time winning over an audience if the can't hear you're playing over the ear piercing squeals you'd get. It is, however, a great pedal for practicing alone, with a small amp, or at a small show, maybe indoors, with a few friends. // 6

Overall Impression: Being a guitarist with a wide range of playing styles, whether it be pinch harmonics and dive bombs, or palm muting and chugging, I've found this to be a great pedal in the time I've owned it. I would definitely buy another if I needed to, it's well worth the buy. // 8

More Zoom reviews rating category latest review
+ G1XNext 8.3 Guitar Effects 06/09/2014