G1XNext Review

8.5
reviews (4) pictures (2) 16 comments vote for this gear:
G1XNext Reviewed by: HUNDuffman, on april 20, 2012

Purchased from: A local store

Ease of Use: It is perfect for experimenting with patches, and you can actually find some on the Internet if you don't feel like starting from scratch. The manual is very handy, and you get a little card too where you can check the meanings of the abbreviations displayed on the seven segment display when you are making a patch. It sure is a surprise to have so many combinations after getting used to just 2-3 knobs on an amp, but that is not the pedal's fault! For such a complex thing it is very simple to use, although the drum backing tracks' rhythm controls are a little hard to get used to, but whatever. It is perfect as it is. // 10

Sound: I use it with a Powerstate guitar and a Marshall mg10fx combo, and I must say that the distortions and the overdrives are all a little too boxy for what I expect. I don't know if it is my guitar's fault, or the amp's, but you can fine tune the equalizer to make it acceptable. The most surprising feature in it is the amp simulation. You can simulate a combo, a bright tube, and a stack amp, each perfect for different genres, and they all make the boxy sound go away a little. The Wah sounds a little weak to me, and I'm not satisfied with the distortion and Overdrive effects, but the acoustic simulation and the Zoom clean at high gain is very pure and beautiful, especially with modulation. If one would connect some real analog disto or Overdrive pedal before it it would be THE perfect effect chain. Just don't use the distortions and overdrives in the pedal if you want a perfect guitar experience. // 9

Reliability & Durability: There isn't much to say, it is totally dependable under any circumstances. You never need to take any types of failures into account, because in my experience it simply won't. If I had a separate Wah and distortion pedal I would definitely use it on any gig. (Literally any.) // 10

Overall Impression: I play thrash metal, power metal, neoclassic metal and power ballads, and I expected more from the distortion, because it's not harsh enough for thrash, but you can get a pretty decent modern power metal sound from it, and the same sound suited me for neoclassic metal and power ballads too. The acoustic and clean effects are simply the clearest and most beautiful things I heard so far (especially with mods and reverb and delay). I wish I had tried the distortions, the overdrives and the wahs before buying, but if you have a Wah and a separate distortion pedal then you don't need to buy any other effects because everything else is flawless. I also recommend connecting it to your pc for your jam sessions and covers. There is nothing to hate about this actually, although I wish it had a more powerful Wah and a spring in the expression pedal (it moves freely, but it holds its position, don't worry). I would definitely buy this once again if I lost it in one way or another. // 10

G1XNext Reviewed by: vince.mondi, on september 26, 2011

Purchased from: JB Music Philippines

Ease of Use: It's very easy to use, more like very intuitive that you only need to know what the acronyms mean. The adjustment of levels are really easy. Editing the patches and switching the pedal functions are also easy to do. I haven't fully read the manual but in less than an hour, I got the hang of it. It also has 40 patches that you can save and edit, and 40 artist patches that are un-editable - I don't use the latter much though. // 9

Sound: I use it with a Fender Squier Stratocaster SE and a Laney LX65R. There is a little static, actually. But it's due to the bridge pick-up of the stratocaster. Haven't done any modifications with my gear aside from adjusting the truss rod and the bridge height. So the static would probably be due to the stock pickups - at least that's what I get from most reviews too. Anyway, the effects in the Zoom G1XNext is very good. I love the EQ, it's accurate enough for me and helps me get a the tone I want. I mostly use the blues Drive and the Marshall drive. The Reverb and Delay is good. When I try to go EVH, I use his Peavey Drive model (PV) and add a little chorus with it. The pitch shift is also awesome. However, its levels depends on the scale that you're playing, I think. The Cry Baby Wah sounds good. I suppose you can give it an 8 out of 10 stars if you'd rate how it compares to the original Classic Dunlop Cry Baby Wah. What I don't like with this one is that you can't mix up two modulations (Chorus, pitch bend, etc.) as well as two Comp/Efx functions (Booster, compressor, wah, etc). But if you're not really into mixing these effects up with each other, you'll be fine. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I can definitely depend on it and would use this one on stage. It's expression pedal is a bit squeaky though. But I think I just need to oil it up a little. I've had this for seven months and it's the only problem I've had so far. // 9

Overall Impression: I've been playing for 7 years now. And this is my first multiple guitar effects. I usually play a bit of blues and modern rock. And it suits my needs. But if it were stolen or got lost, I'd probably get pissed off because you don't get this one at the price I got it (PhP 4, 600 ~ USD 100+). In the Philippines, guitars and accessories' prices are usually doubled compared to the ones in the US. But if I have the cash, I'd probably go for a Boss multi-effects board or the Zoom G2.1Nu or maybe a set of stomp boxes because they're more advanced and have better sound quality than my Zoom G1XNext. What I love about this though is it's ease of use and the good tone. It's good enough to get the sound of my desired gear. At first, I wanted to set my gear with an Overdrive, Delay, Reverb, and Wah. So I was thinking to go for Boston pedals because they say that it can match the ones of Boss and Digitech, and just save some money to get a Dunlop Classic Cry Baby Wah afterwards. But when I got to the store, I saw this one and tried it out. After that, without a doubt, I bought it. My budget was tight but this little fella gave me just what I needed. It's not too advanced, and not an overkill for my set up. But it gets the job done. // 7

G1XNext Reviewed by: macd32, on may 14, 2012

Purchased from: ebay

Ease of Use: Though the user manual is fairly explainatory, you still need a good deal of experience to operate this pedal. I have had it for over a year, and have just recently figured it out completely. I have done tons of fidelling with it, and some things I still can't figure out. Once you get started with it you can, operate it with ease. Patch editing is simple once you get the hang of it. Just scan through the amp choices, chose reverb, any special effects, and the amount of noise reduction, and you're good to go. // 6

Sound: My main guitar is an Agile AL-2000, but I also have played my Fender Squier Strat, and an Ibanez (I'm not sure which model) through this pedal. I play through a Fender Mustang II, or a Peavey sound system. The sound quality is top notch with all of them. Most of the effects have a very strong sound, but some of the factory presets are weak or strange sounding. Virtually any sound can be achieved using this pedal. I have played Newsboys, Metalica, Kutless, Green Day, Bon Jovi, and Guns N' Roses, and I was able to get spot on sound. I don't like the Chorus they have, and i don't use Flanger or anything like that, but the distortion and Wah effects are really good. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Even though it is made mostly of plastic, it is very durable. I have dropped it countless times, and all I have to show for it is a few surface scratches and dings. None of the electronics have been damaged, and its taken a few hard falls and kicks. I would definately take this to use on a gig without a backup. I actually have gigged this pedal without a backup. // 8

Overall Impression: I play mostly praise and worship, but I play everything from blues, to metal, to classic rock. This works for all of these styles. I've been playing for about two and a half years now, and I still use this pedal. If it got lost or stolen I would probably by another one, but i might try a DigiTech RP250 or something. There is really nothing I would change, except maybe make it simpler to use. // 7

G1XNext Reviewed by: 2Crosser, on april 07, 2014

Ease of Use: It is truly incredibly easy to edit the preset patches to get a good/the desired sound out of it. The manual explains everything perfectly, and it takes less than three hour's worth of messing around to pick out your favourite patches, create a couple that you might need or want, and start rocking to your hearts content. You need not worry about the firmware - it is not upgradeable. The patches are edited by knowing what the symbols displayed mean, turning two knobs and pressing three or four buttons, depending on what you want. I reckon a kid seeing a guitar for the first time could do it. // 10

Sound: This Zoom sounds as good as any entry level multi - effects processor. It has several patches with universal implementation, and specialized presets for most music genres, which means it will suit most guitarists who are not hooked on sound "quality" reduction due to the multi - effects processor status/classification. It is amlost noiseless, and has a noise gate (Z.N.R. for Zoom Noise Reduction) which can eliminate most if not all the static feedback problems. I use my LP60 guitar with it (which has extra high resistance humbucking pickups so that I do not have to deal with the afore - mentioned problems) and my semi - decent SMART III amplifier. I use the Zoom overdrive and gain instead of the amplifier's one. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This little processor can withstand some serious stomping, and can take a live gig on without a back up with ease. I still cannot decide whether the body is a very hard plastic or a metal, but the point is that I have dropped the thing several times and it has no marks, scratches or dents. I am sure the first thing that will break is the display that would burn from the amount of displaying hours. The pedal is not perfectly balanced though, and when stomped on a little hard can cause the whole unit to tilt and rotate, causing other potential problems. // 8

Overall Impression: I play almost everything on a regular basis: from slow 1950's - style jazz and blues lead to fast modern death metal rhythm. I absolutely love the way this pedal is able to handle that wide variety of playing and some of the presets were perfected for a particular music genre. Though I do use this with my first electric guitar, and I am inexperienced in that aspect, but have been playing acoustic guitar for almost four years now. If this were somehow damaged beyond the warranty or lost, I would definitely buy another one again as there is no other price to quality to content equivalent on the market yet. The only thing is that I wish it had U.S.B. connectivity, more preset patches/options and upgradeable firmware. // 9

More Zoom reviews rating category latest review
+ G2.1Nu 8.8 Guitar Effects 02/18/2014