G2 Review

manufacturer: Zoom date: 07/18/2011 category: Guitar Effects
Zoom: G2
The next generation Zoom pedal is here! The G2 features 16 Classic Amp & Stomp Box Models, 40 user patches + 40 factory patches, 9 effect modules with 54 effect types, Zoom ZFX-3 DSP chip, 96 kHz sampling rate and much more.
 Reliability & Durability: 9.4
 Ease of Use: 8.4
 8.4
 9.1
 7.7
reviews (27) 35 comments vote for this gear:
G2 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 07, 2005

Purchased from: Sound Control

Ease of Use: It doesn't the easiest user interface, but once you get used to it, it works like a charm & you can start editing your own patches. The only downside is that you have to setup each of the category of effects that is compressor, drive, effects, delay, using the same control knobs which needs getting used to. // 7

Sound: This is the best part of the kit. It blew my expections completely. I got this pedal as a gift as it had a built-in rhythm Machine. But when I tried it home, it was great (now I want to buy one for myself). Amp modelling. The clean sounds are clean & clear. The AC30 & Roland JC Amp sims are very good for clean sounds. For distorted sounds, the Zoom Extreme Distortion & Boss MT-2 are excellent and give provide enough crunch. It also has other drive amps like the Boss OD-2 simulator, an acoustic simulator (this is not bad but not the greatest), a Fender Twin Reverb, a Mesa Boogie stack simulator (this gives very good crunchy distortion). Effects. It's got a very nice chorus & delays. Has a harmonic pitch shifter (fancy playing maiden solos). The flanger was acceptable and the Wah works well. It has a new effects called steps which is very interesting. Reverb. Quality spring reverb and settings for echo and delays which are very good too. ZNR has a pretty noise reduction system. I have absolutely no extra noise. I would recommend you try this yourself to check the sounds, they are fantastic & considering the price, it is one best pedals for starters and intermediates. I run my Yamaha Pacifica through the G2 into the headphones or a Marshall MG15DFX. // 9

Reliability & Durability: It is built well, a change from the older Zoom models that were extremely plastic. This has metal body with rubber sides, can take it to a gig. // 9

Overall Impression: I have to say that I have been a starter for many years in terms of talent. I play mostly clean, as a starter try to practice with stuff like Hank Marvin for clean lead tones. Also play some stuff like Green Day and Blink 182, Snow Patrol. I mostly experiment with sounds and chord progressions. If it was stolen, I would buy another one. I have a Korg AX1500G which also I love for the clean sounds but the distortion is not that good on the Korg, I would say that the G2 matches the Korg for clean sounds easily which was a pleasent surprise. The best thing about the Zoom G2 is the sound it produces for the price (69 British Pounds). // 9

G2 Reviewed by: stoat_toast, on june 19, 2006

Purchased from: ebay

Ease of Use: I bought this pedal a couple of weeks ago and it rocks, simple as that. You can get a massive variety of sounds from the preset patches however you may wish to tweek this or make your own according to your tastes. It only took a couple of hours for me to figure out completely how to use it and editing patches is a doodle. // 9

Sound: With this pedal I use the Marshall Rock Box set. Before I bought the pedal, the sound I got from my guitar and amp was very thin and weedy, however now I can immitate most guitarists sounds perfectly. The pedal only gets really noisy on some of the distortion/overdrive effects however a certain amount of this can be cancelled out with the built in noise gate. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is built like a tank. I have played live with it without worry of it letting me down (however I was worried about my guitar failing completely). I can completely rely on this pedal and will certainly gig without backup again. I think this pedal will last me along time and a cannot see it breaking without something majorly catestrophic happening to it. // 10

Overall Impression: This is a great match for me as I am still finding out which types of music I most enjoy playing as I haven't been playing for a vast amount of time. If this pedal was stolen or lost I would probably save up for the Zoom G2\.1U which is only around 40 more expensive, however I would have no problem buying it again. I chose to buy this pedal as my friend had it and I thought it was awesome, also, this pedal completely dominates over another friends xv-amp by berhinger. The only thing I could wish this pedal has which it doesn't is a usb connection to connect to my computer. // 9

G2 Reviewed by: lshaddock, on december 02, 2010

Purchased from: Deals - Cardiff

Ease of Use: Fairly easy to use once you get the hang of it. Good effects on there but when you put the drums on to keep rythm whilst playing. The drums go really quiet when the guitar is playing and when the guitar is silent the drums go loud again. Does this on all amplifiers. The manual that comes with the G2 is quite complex if i'm honest as it goes into detail a bit too much and gets hard to understand. // 8

Sound: I personally use a 75watt amp with an Ibanez rg350ex. With all these as a combination it sounds really good. Some of te effects on the G2 are a bit weak but some of them are amazing. The only problem with the effects that I have is changing from one to another in the middle of a song. (e.g. Say ou wanted to go from effect 1 to 10. It takes ages). I have to admit though some of the distortion effects are really meaty and give great sound quality. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would definately depend on this pedal as it is robust and can take a few knocks. For a gig I would'nt take a back up pedal as it is a really reliable pedal. I have had this item for four years now and have not had to take it back for repairs or maintenance(touch wood) so far. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a lot of punk/pop punk songs ad the pedal gives me a great variety of sounds for each one. As there are lots of distortion effects on this it gives me a great sound quality. Finally, if I were you I wouldn't buy this I would wait and collect single pedal and create a pedal board. This option maybe a lot more expensive, but trust me if you have the money to do so I would for sure as pedal boards are the ultimate. You can get your favourite noises out of the guitar whilst looking cool on stage with loads of effects pedals. // 8

G2 Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 09, 2006

Purchased from: Local music store

Ease of Use: It's dead simple to use. 2 foot switch, 1 goes up 1 goes down. Editting patches is fairly simple, but it can get a little confusing at first. The manual isn't any great shakes, but it's not a hard little thing to use in the first place. Unfortunately, the little screen is a bit of let down. A proper multi-character screen would've been a big help, but I guess for such a compact little unit it wasn't possible. You'd have to keep the manual close to hand, at least until you learn what the 2 letter code for each patch is. Also, the knob for selecting which effect type is confusing, as all types are crammed into one knob. It can get pretty confusing whether the knob is at mod/SFX or delay. // 9

Sound: It is usually fairly noiseless, thanks to ZNR, or Zoom noise reduction. However, on 2 of the 40 channels you get terrible feedback at high volumes. It sounds pretty great, all fairly natural. The Pick of the litter is the Zoom Extreme Distortion. It doesn't sound quite as good as some of the high-end effects but it doesn't cost half as much so I'd consider it a fair trade. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This thing is tougher than old boots. It's totally dependable for any situation. You can kick and throw it any way you want to. It's a real tank. // 10

Overall Impression: I don't play any particular genre, and the G2 copes well with it. I can get very satisfactory tones from it no matter what song I want to play. My friend has a DigiTech RP50, probably it's close rival. The G2 cost considerably less, and sounds way more natural. It really is no contest between the 2. If it was stolen or lost, I'd probably go for the G2\.1U, but I'd have no problem with buying the regular G2 again. // 9

G2 Reviewed by: Ghopki02, on december 28, 2007

Ease of Use: I got this about 4 months ago about a month after I started playing guitar and from the start I found it quite difficult to use and I was disappointed with it but once I had figured it out I found it really easy to get a nice sound out of it. I haven't made any patches yet, it looks complicated. All I do is Switch effects on and off until I find a nice sound. The manual was also very good and unlike the usual combined languages manual, the Zoom came with about 5 manuals all in different languages which I found very useful. The manual is very well written and until I read it I didn't have a clue how to use the unit or what the effects were modelled after. Overall, once you get the hang of it, it is very easy to use. // 9

Sound: I use a Yamaha Pacifica 112 guitar with an Orange Crush 10 amp and it sounds excellent. I haven't noticed any excessive noise on any (but 1) of the settings, the acoustic simulator can be a bit noisy. The effects are in no way weak, some of them are a bit samey, for example, many of the distortions sound remarkably similar with only about 3 unique distinctive distortions. The range of sounds is brilliant, the distortion can go from a nice crunchy blues tone to Br00ta1z Slayer distortion. The clean tones are lovely, JC Clean is my favourite clean tone and on the Class A model I can make it sound just like a tube amp, when I turn up the gain it starts breaking up and sounds really authentic. The acoustic simulator isn't particularly good compared to some I have heard but as an extra it is nice, although it can be a bit noisy, even with the humbucker selected. The only disappointing effect is the Wah but I just got a wah wah pedal for christmas from my cousin so I'm happy. The chorus is nice but what really stands out is the stereo chorus. It sounds very sexy, the range of delays and reverb is very wide and all of them sound impressive. You can highly customise you're sound from a raw sounding blues tone to a spacey reverby tone with the stereo chorus and flanger. The range of sounds for the price is astounding. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It seems to be reliable, it is constructed well and is made of metal and rubber, it is heavy for it's size and feels well built and that it's going to work for a long time. It certainly isn't going to fall apart any time soon. I would use this in a gig without backup, it doesn't seem like the kind of unit which will just conk out randomly. // 10

Overall Impression: I play all styles of music from classical to heavy metal and blues and this matches all of them perfectly. I can get all the sounds I need and more from this effects box and it is well worth the 47. It is the perfect thing for a beginner like me to buy as it kept me interested and playing around with the effects is very fun. It also gives a perfect budget, uncomplicated introduction to effects for beginners as it is much more simple than buying several pedals and much cheaper. It also means that you can Pick the effects you like and maybe buy seperate ones which sound better when you get better. I don't regret not buying the G2.1U model with the pedal, mainly because it was nearly double the price and the only effect I think really benefits from a pedal is the wah. If this was stolen then I would certainly buy another one, the drum Machine alone is worth the price of the whole unit, it is a total bargain. I love how I can get every sound under the sun out of it and the drum Machine is my favourite feature as it saves me from buying a separate one, or a metronome. I didn't compare this to any other products and I basically got it because it was the cheapest available. I can't think of anything to wish this unit had as it has pretty much everything, being able to plug my wah wah pedal in to it and use it on the other effects on the Zoom would be nice rather than having to buy a Zoom pedal separately but I really can't complain. // 10

G2 Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 14, 2009

Ease of Use: The user interface is okay. It takes a while to get used to, but after that it's pretty easy. There are 40 factory patches and 40 user patches that you can edit. Making new patches or editing existing ones are easy. Almost all the effects can be fine tuned by the 3 tunable knobs. The manual is very descriptive too. You can learn everything you need to know from the manual in a short time. One downside of the Zoom G2 is that you can't modify the firmware. So no factory update is possible. // 8

Sound: I am using the pedal with an Ibanez JEM JR. Floyd Rose guitar and a Sony TA - 1630 Amp. The sound was better than I expected. The clean sounds are perfect. The sound from Fender Twin Reverb '65 (FC) and Roland Jazz Chorus (JC) modeled amp are stunning, almost exactly like the real thing. The Boss Overdrive amp model (od) gives a beautiful Overdrive sound, modeling the sound of tube amplifiers. For distortion, Marshap JCM800 (MC) and Boss MT-2 (Mt) amp models give great sound for palying hard rock or metal songs. Besides from the amp models, there are plenty of guitar effects in the G2. I specially like the reverb, chorus, flanger and the dynamic delays. You can get the perfect Pink Floyd sound with the combination of delays, chorus and reverb. The built-in noise gets are very good and there is almost no added noise. It has a built-in drum Machine which is a nice added feature. You can plug it in your computer using the "line-in" port of your sound card and do some recording. With a suitable software, you will be able to record riffs and solos. It sounds great wheather you use to record or play through an amp. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have had the Zoom G2 for about 15 months. I haven't had a single problem. The strong rubber padding protects it against rough use. I have dropeed it a few times, didn't create any problems. The switches and knobs are durable. I would definitely use it on a gig without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: For it's price, the Zoom G2 is a great deal. The sound is very good and you can model almost all of your favorite bands. I have managed to get the sounds of Guns N' Roses, Green Day, Pink Floyd and Metallica. In this price range, I think it is better than any other product in the market. I would certainly recommend it. // 9

G2 Reviewed by: Ozeshin, on november 14, 2005

Purchased from: Owen Ray

Ease of Use: I've only just purchased this unit today, so I have'nt had too much of an opportunity to play around with it too much. The factory settings, patches and banks are very nice.. in fact, you could quite happily use the unit just on these settings alone. Editing patches seems to be easy. I've already done a few. The manual is a bit lacking when it comes to combing effects into one patch still trying to figure that one out. This unit is not PC connectable like it's big brother the G2\.1U so it has not been flash upgraded. // 8

Sound: My usual gear is a Marshall MG50DFX through a Celestion quad, Peavy Predator XPS and two Les Pauls. Some of the amp/distortion models create quite a bit of buzz but there are so many to choose from that it's only a matter of dialing up one of the quieter models. The harmonizer and pitch shifter effects sound amazing as do the reverb and delay effects. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Apart from the dials on the front of the unit sitting up a little too high. This unit seems quite sturdy. I would happily use this unit without backup but my momma didn't raise no fool and I will keep my older effects handy. // 8

Overall Impression: I play in a covers band that covers material from Floyd to Simple plan so it's a very wide spread of sounds that I require. I've been playing for 30 years and the other gear that I own/use is to long to post here. I did compare this unit to its bigger brother the G2\.1U only for the fact that it had the expression pedal but it was double the price so dollar for dollar this was the better deal. // 10

G2 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 26, 2005

Ease of Use: I think that it is very easy to get a good sound out of it. It has a lot of effects, so I have been able to play any song that I want to. The patches are really easy to edit. All it takes are turns of a few knobs. The manual explains everything very well. You can not exactly change between multiple patches very easily. There are only two buttons for switching patches. And the drum Machine can not be controled by your feet. And it can not really be upgraded. The only addition you can get for it is; a foot pedal or foot switch. // 9

Sound: The sounds are great. As I had said, I can play every song that I want to with it. I am using it with a Fender RAD 75 watt amp. I keep it on bright. I can get great distortion with this pedal, many different effects can be achieved with it. There are many different wah settings, many different distortion settings, many different clean tones, a few delay modes, a few different styles of reverb, and a six band equalizer. It has absolutely no background noise if you have the noise reducer on. The most common styles are; Metal, Rock, Blues, Jazz, Grundge and every other damn style in the world. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It is fairly durable, though I wouldn't recommend dropping it. The bank buttons are pure metal, and are easily replacable. I do use it in concert without a backup. // 6

Overall Impression: If this pedal was stolen/lost, I would buy this pedal, and a footboard. I love how it has like 90% chrome. I hate thinking that it might break if I drop it. I wish it had a built in foot pedal. // 8

G2 Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 27, 2005

Purchased from: Rikaxxe

Ease of Use: Ok, this is my first ever effects box, as I have only been playing guitar for six months, and I thought that it would be too complex. My first use, however, dispelled any worries. The interface is the easiest thing ever, and after having given the intructions a once through, and having fiddled about for an hour, I was already making some pretty decent patches from scratch. // 9

Sound: My guitar is the biggest pile of rubbish ever (Peavey Raptor, why doubt they just stick to amps), but this box makes it sound awesome. The Overdrive alone makes it worth buying this pedal, ranging from very chunky sounds, to fat fuzzing and pure scream. The reverb and delay are also awesome, excellent for some more classical finger picking, and while coupled with the accoustic simulator make for an amazing chilled out tone. The auto harmoniser is by far the most impressive, however, rendering the sounds instantly and in perfect balance. You can have happy upbeat sounding harmonies, or extreamily mean Bulet for my valentine style stuff. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This thing is built like a tank. It is tiny, yet deceptively heavy (which always reassures me of reliability), and the solid metal casing shows no scratches or dents after a few weeks playing. The patch changing is instant, with the stomp buttons feeling solid, yet never demanding too much force. I have already played 2 school gigs with it and it has performed very well indeed. I do, however, worry about the control knobs being damaged, they seem solid, but I can be careless with my kitr sometimes. Having said this, they stick out less than those on other effects boxes. // 8

Overall Impression: This can play anything you want it to, but performs especially well for punk and heavy metal players (the Overdrive is ust too good for words). More gothic style soloing also sounds excellent. At the other end of the spectrum, more accoustic style playing (which I also do a lot of) seems great, infact better sounding than my 100 accoustic guitar itself. // 10

G2 Reviewed by: recklessftw, on january 02, 2006

Ease of Use: This unit is very easy to use. All you have to do is grab the small manual that comes with it and read it as you're infront of the Machine with your guitar plugged in, that's it! Once you see the basic layout of the knobs you'll have it in no time. // 9

Sound: I'm using it with a '92 US Fender Strat. I'll also plug it into my Line 6 Spider 210 if I want some volume out of it. The effects are really full and what you'd expect from the high sample rate. I haven't had the chance to try and mimmic my fav artists but with all this thing can do I don't think it'll be hard. There are some good presets too that sound alot like some artists. The reverb is really good with this. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on it so far, looks tough and feel really solid. // 10

Overall Impression: I play a very wide style of music and this will do it all for me I can see. I had nothing before buying this and had looked at lots of other pedals. You really can't beat the features and sounds for the price. I'd buy it again for sure if it was stolen. Also, the drum Machine is great for practicing scales, soloing and things like that. The tuner is easy to use as well. I love it. // 10

G2 Reviewed by: dark_destroyer, on january 17, 2006

Sound: I use a crappy Behringer Strat though a not bad Behringer 15w amp and Jesus Christ it seriously sounds like an Ibanez RG, I played in a guitar shop through a Vox Valve amp. No joke. Even without the noise gate active, and on a single coil pickup, and very high distortion, there is hardenly any noise atall. With the Z(oom) N(oise) R(eduction) active you can stick your ear up to the amp and not hear a thing. Chorus works really well for classic rock such as stairway to heaven and the more recent behind blue eyes. There alot effects and sound mods that I am not gonna go into nut I have to mention zooms very own creation "Zoom Extreme Distortion" bloody hell. Highest gain ever. Very good for use with power chords as they are brought out beautifly (well as beautiful as high gain powerchords get). It also contains many stomp box modals such as the Boss Metal Zone. // 10

Reliability & Durability: It is built like a boulder. You could put quite a bit of wieght on this and the rubber sides mean it can be bashed around. // 10

Overall Impression: I have had no experience with other pedals but I have heard some top range stomp boxes and this is as good even more and its the same price as just 1 stomp box. USB would be useful but the quality from the specialised studio patch setting is good enough straight from line out. I love the simplicity of this Machine and to be quite honest theres only onething I don't like, the effects change, you need to use your fingers to press the small buttons. I can live with it though as the sound quality blows me away everytime. If it was stolen I would be bak on eBay looking for another one that hour. // 10

G2 Reviewed by: broken_leg, on february 23, 2006

Purchased from: Music Force

Ease of Use: When I first plugged it in I found it a bit hard to figure out how to edit my own patches but I read the manual for a bit and it wasnt that hard. Switching between effects is easy, you just need to push once on the foot switches to scroll through them all. Generally its quite easy to use and I would recommend it for beginners and less advanced players. // 8

Sound: I have a peavy raptors plus exp and that sounds alrite for a cheap beginners model. Its plugged in to the shitty peavy practice amp I got with the starter kit. Once I plugged the pedal in I was shocked at the improvement in sound quality it produced. There was virtually no unwanted noises, though on some of the preset patches there was a lot of annonying feedback but thats ok. Everything seemed to sound better, the clean tones and the Overdrive and distortion effects sounded great, even through my little amp. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Well I havent had it very long but it seems quite sturdy and durable. If I was playing a gig I most likely wouldnt worry about a backup. // 9

Overall Impression: I play many different styles such as rock, punk, slow stuff but mainly metal. There is a setting on there that suits pretty much any style I can think of. One thing I didn't like about it was it didn't come with an AC adaptor which would of costed me another $50 or so. If it were lost o stolen I would probably save up for a more top of the range one simply because I can. // 9

G2 Reviewed by: ezlow, on september 01, 2006

Purchased from: Internet

Ease of Use: These is a very good gear for beginners. It has some basic effects. The programing is not hard. Like everything you just need to get used to it. But I really hated one thing. For some that's not important. The thing is, I am portuguese (sorry my bad english). And the G2 doesn't bring a Portuguese manual! For someone that isn't that good with english that can be very bad! But well. These only goes to Portuguese people. And maybe for other countries I don't know. // 7

Sound: This is the best part! The effects are just amazing! You've got a lot of distortions to choose from. You can play everything you want! The Zoom Noise Reduction just cut that annoying sound during breaks. You can simulate a lot of amps. Bring the metal! Listen the clean. The pitch shifters are just mind blowers! Just perfect! // 10

Reliability & Durability: The durability it's good. Metal body, ruber on the sides. But I think that is too light. A strong cable movement and the G2 almost flyes away. I would use it on a gig but as backup. The reliability it's good also, it wont fail you, but you just need to have carefull with it. // 9

Overall Impression: One great piece of equipement that can't be forgotten. Play erverything with it. Very fast patch change. Too bad that the change bank buttons are not big enough so that you can change with your feet. Another great freature is that you can use an external pedal to control some efects parameters. Of course that you need to buy it. But anyway, an excellent product to have in mind! // 9

G2 Reviewed by: almost_skater, on october 04, 2006

Purchased from: Long and Mcquade

Ease of Use: At first the figuring out everything was a pain, but after reading the manual everything was simple and easy to use. My stomp box didn't come with a manual (used). Editing the patches takes only a couple seconds to select the effect then boom organise it in the memory. // 9

Sound: My setup is a les paul custom and the amp is a Fraynor T30/GR. The sound for all the effects are straight out amazing. With distortion it's all a matter of fiddling with the knobs until the fuzz is berable. I play a lot of metal, rock and occasionally classics and I can get everything with this G2. The effect that I find is awesome is the choice of distortion. There are so many choices to choose from and each one is popular single pedals. // 10

Reliability & Durability: For sure I can depend on it because it's made of metal. I also don't go really hard on anything so I know it will last for a long time. I would for sure put my trust in the G2 at a gig. if anything would be to break then I would guess it would be the knobs but that is only if somebody abuses it. // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal, rock and classical so I can find everything with this stomp box. I have been playing for about a year non-stop. I don't have any other gear. If this where stolen or lost I sure as hell wouldn't be able to afford another one. But imagine I could then ya I would buy it again. The only thing I hate about it is that there is no pedal that comes with, the pedal is extra. But for the pedal I would only use it for wah which is all I could think of right now. The drum beats is a cool feature but I don't use it at all. I first wanted to get the DigiTech RP100A but the store didn't have it so the next best thing I could afford was this. // 9

G2 Reviewed by: evanfan, on october 20, 2006

Purchased from: Louth, Lincs., England

Ease of Use: This gives the fastest patch change that I've ever known for an fx pedal and editing patches is dead easy too! I've created a list of myt edited patches to suit the songs I like 2 play and it is really easy to understand what's what and where evrything is. The manual is split up in to easy to understand sections for doing everything that you'd need to do on an fx pedal. It also gives troubleshoting and a list of fx stored on the pedal which you can mix into one patch. There are 40 spaces for an edited patch with the default on in its own menu too. // 10

Sound: I have a Fender/Squier Strat and a Marshall amp (which ic can't remember the make of). I can get a really good range of sounds out of it from soft clean sounds to absolute bloomin' tons of distortion (if I need it). My amp also has a clean/overdrive button on it and the sounds created by the FX pedal change accordingly. Some effects you need to set just right on all the right settings so they sound just right but some of them are great on whatever setting. My fave artist at the mo is nirvana and I've adapted loads of patches to suit the different songs e.g. Come As You Are and Lithium. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I have depended on it for a while now and it hasn't really made me want to throw it out the window! No, I wouldn't really do that to any of my music stuff anyway! It relies a lot on battery power (4 AAs) and I've had to change them quite a lot but when it's up and running it's great! It has a mega fast patch change so I could use it in a gig without backup if I needed to! I'd get fresh batteries first, though! // 9

Overall Impression: I love grunge and heavy metal and this is really good for any type of sound you would want to make for this ind of genre. I don't own much other stuff but this for me is a great buy! I don thate anything about it, there are a few itsy bitsy probs about batt. Power but it's great! Not much else it doesn't have that I would need. It can go into 8va mode either way and double 8va upwards! // 9

G2 Reviewed by: AwesomeGav, on january 12, 2007

Ease of Use: It is rather complicated to get wht you want out of it. I'd recommend reading the manual before pluggin in this baby. It's quite straight-forward (by turning the effects knob to play you can flick through 99 differnt sounds!) but then there's the difficult bits (e.g. fitting in drukm patterns, tuning). // 7

Sound: I use a Vintage SG copy through a Fender FM65R. It works ok with the amp and sounds amazin through the guitar (which I highly recommend). I'd have to say it's a bit noisy with effect number 15. You get a lot of unwanted feedback. You get brilliant effects though. Just turn the effects knob to play and press the right footbutton to go up through the effects and the left one to go down. You can get perfect Muse, Led Zeppelin and even Slipknot sounds. By Turning the effects knob to all the different effects (such as delay, reverb, Drive) and change them as you please. Plus by pressing the bank button and following the manual instructions, you can make your own sounds! It's even got a tuner! // 9

Reliability & Durability: Guys, you can depend on this baby. It's very, very, very reliable and almost impossible to break down. If you go to a gig without a back up, don't woory, it wont let you down. The Zoom G2 is probably one of the most reliable and durable things you can buy! // 10

Overall Impression: I play metal and rock and the Zoom G2 does it all fantasticly. Apart from a few rough controls and complicated things it's brilliant. If it's stolen or lost buy a new one immediately! I compared it with the Line6 Floor POD and, no comparison, the Zoom was miles better. For 60 why say no? // 9

G2 Reviewed by: Tomhigton, on october 22, 2007

Ease of Use: It's fairly easy to use but the manual is a bit confusing. Patches are easy to edit. it's quite time consuming to get a good sound out of it but it is possible. Editing patches is easy enough and storing them is easier too. it's easy to have your patches in order for gigs. // 8

Sound: I use a Epiphone Les Paul and a Vox AD50 VT-2 XL and it sounds good. The Zoom Noise Reduction elements any noise the other noise gates are good aswell. The effects are great especially the reverb. also I love the autowah. I've tried to get Led Zeppelin, Wolfmother, The Hives and Jet and I've done OK. The Zoom extreme distortion is good for metal. I haven't found an Overdrive that's good for blues yet(the blues Overdrive just doesn't do it). Overall the sound is very good for the money and the preset patches are quite good. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I've only had it for a couple of days but it looks solid enough. I'm planning to use it at a gig next week without a backup, it should be fine. The casing and the display appear sturdy and Zoom's are reliable. It's worked fine for me so far. I'll give it a ten becuase I don't think it will breakdown in the near future. // 10

Overall Impression: I play classic rock and blues (Eric Clapton, led zeppelin) and it's not the best but it does the job. the exteme distortion is good for metal and modern rock. I love the reverb and auto-wah and some of the presets are nice. Also the acoustic simulator is good. I would buy it agian if it were lost or stolen. // 8

G2 Reviewed by: PurpleFlavoured, on november 10, 2007

Ease of Use: This was my first effects pedal, so naturally, I was slightly overwhelmed when I first took a look at it. After a few weeks though, I have really grasped the settings and I know how to make any sound on this. I like the fact there aren't too many buttons and switches, which probably could make it confusing. For a first time user I found the instruction manual a little incomprehensible, it doesn't really matter though. After a few weeks using it, it's easy enough to understand. // 7

Sound: I have to say, I am impressed by every setting on this. It has an extremely wide range of sounds and I haven't needed another effects pedal to create what I've wanted to. Not only that but the sound is beautiful, from clean to distortion. It sounds very natural on any effect. With just this pedal I've made some horrible (horrible in a good way) drone/harsh noise effects on this aswell as echoing clean sounds. The Zoom G2 can basically do anything. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I haven't gigged with it yet, but I would. It's made of metal and is heavy, it feels durable, which gives you ease of mind. I've used this with 6 inch platforms on and I would do it again, it just feels like it's built to last. I can safely say, I wont need a backup when I gig, the only thing that would break this monster is throwing it off a high rise building into a cement mixeer. // 9

Overall Impression: I play anything from drone to goth, metal to shoegaze and I can use this pedal for all of them. I've found that if I can think it, I can make it on the G2. Not only that, it's small and durable, so it's simple transport and will last for ages. I would recommend this pedal to anyone. If you do buy it, don't waste it! You can make so many effects of your own, it quickly becomes personal to you and your style. // 10

G2 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 20, 2007

Ease of Use: Using the Zoom G2 guitar effects processor was very easy to get used to as long as you have the owner's manual handy. The two characeter letters make it difficult without the manual handy, but after that's taken care of it's simple. This pedal offers everything to the user right at their finger tips, there are so many different variations to any playing style availible. The only downside is that this model doesn't have an expresson/ Wah Pedal attatched to it, but it's cost redeems it completely. // 9

Sound: The amp medeling and Effects are completely briliant. You can acheive a wide range of tones just by taking the time to sit and mess around with the seetings. The cleans and super crisp and the dirty sounds IE: Massive distortion and crunch can be dialed in to the most bad ass of settings. // 10

Reliability & Durability: The G2 is pretty sturdy and the materials used in it are solid. Would I use it without a back? Probably but I havn't really hammered down o n the thing yet. As far as depending on it for sound? I would say that this pedal is all you need to make a shitty amp sound good. // 8

Overall Impression: Recently all I've wanted to jam out on is Lamb Of God riffs. I currently am running a Behringer Full stack with a V-Tone GMX 1200H Head, which isn't exactly the best sounding amp head I have ever tried, but for the price I got my stack for. I'd say I got a damn good deal. The Zoom G2 effects Processor gave me that rich bad ass distortion needed so that I jam out on Lamb Of God sounding riffs. I was considering buying a better head for my stack (like a Messa Boogie Mark 4) but now that I've dialed in the sound that I want with the Zoom. // 10

G2 Reviewed by: Deagle-Eyes, on december 08, 2007

Ease of Use: I've had this unit for about 8 months. The first couple of months, I struggled to find good patches and create nice sounds. However, in the last months I've been having so much fun with this, specially with the buil-in rhythm machine. What I'm going to do next is get the Zoom expression pedal, as with this, I'll use the wah-wah and other effects the way I want them, // 9

Sound: I'm using a crap guitar (Silvertone Revolver) through the worst amp you can think of (Silvertone Smart II). However, this thing makes it all sound nice and warm, and makes people I've got good gear too. You can play from good cleans, to great distortioned effects, and everything in between, such as bluesy and crunchy effects. The effect I don't particularly like is the Digital Fuzz, just seems to buzz out of control as soon as I touch a string, no matter how soft. Overall, awesome! // 9

Reliability & Durability: It's much more reliable than other Zoom units. Though, one of the knobs (the upper-right one, to be precise), got sort of broken, and now it moves so smooth that it seems it'll break sometime. Apart from that, this is resistant, not like a Panzer, but it would still Live after some intense bombing. // 9

Overall Impression: I play hard rock and classic rock, mainly (GN'R, Led Zep, AC/DC, Wolfmother) and some White Stripes from time to time. I've been playing for a year and 4 months now, and it does make a difference, specially for a beginner. Although I've not had the chance to try it on a decent amp, I think it would still sound awesome. // 9

G2 Reviewed by: Joel., on january 21, 2008

Ease of Use: This pedal has some sweet presets, so getting a good sound is pretty simple as most of these sound unique and nice. It takes a few days to get used to the interface, but after you've worked that all out it's good fun to play around with it and make your own presets. The manual is fairly small and has diagrams to help you out. It's great and helped me alout. // 8

Sound: I am currently using this with a Roland Cube 30X and an Epiphone Les Paul Custom Midnight Edition. It goes perfect and all the distortion settings are wicked. I previously used this with a Squier Bullet Strat and a Samick SR25 or something, and I got this for an extra bit of oomph and some good distortion; it did the job well. Some of the cleaner effects can be fairly weak but that isn't a problem. Some of my favourite sounds are that of Pantera, Eddie Van Halen, Opeth, Children Of Bodom and Metallica etc. This amp actually has a preset for EVH, a preset which sounds identical to Pantera, and I found settings for Metallica and the others within minutes; it's a sweet pedal. There are 2 settings on the pedal which do nothing but buzz and sound very fake, but avoid them and you're fine. It also has a realistic acoustic setting which I use. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It's build a lot sturdier than the G1, and I can't see any normal person breaking this. I would definately gig with it, due to ease of use. It is made of hard metal or something, but it's still fairly light, and the size is awesome, it fits into my guitar case perfectly. // 10

Overall Impression: I play lots of metal, lots of Grunge, lots of acoustic stuff, jazz and pretty much everything else. It suits all my stuff great, but is better suited for the heavier tunes. I own 2 other guitars and 2 other amps which I mentioned earlier in this review. It suits my Cube and Les Paul very nicely and I am very glad I bought it. It I lost it or something, I would probably go and upgrade to a G2x or something better, because I know Zoom are very reliable when it comes to FX pedals. I compared it to a few Line 6 PODs and Boss pedals, and this one definately outperformed any others. There is nothing else I think it needs, it has pretty much everything! // 10

G2 Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 05, 2008

Ease of Use: It's pretty straight-forward pedal, very easy to use. After you play with it a bit, you know how to do with anything in there. That simple. Only 4 knobs and two button, not so hard to remember all uses. My suggestion to you is to read the manual first. It's simple but explains well, and you can find out the parameters of the effects and how to use all things in the pedal, from the built-in drum-Machine to exploring between patches. // 10

Sound: I was surprised by the quality of the sound this little guy provides. I play an Epiphone Les Paul Standard through a crappy Fender Frontman 25R, and it still sounds great. The amp and pedal simulators are very good: the mesa/boogie high-gain is perfect for soloing, but not strong enough for rhythm guitar, the extreme distortion is very versitile, the Marshall stack simulator is awesome when going in low gain setting... The effects are also pretty good - the ZNR is amazing, the chorus is nice, and I love the delay and Hall reverb. The steps effect is one of the coolest effects I ever heared. You can get very interesting sound with it. I mostly play hard rock, metal and shred, and this guy can do the work. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Extremely reliable. Since it's built from Solid Metal, and the buttons and knobs are made from metal, the pedal is very solid and strong, and I'll rely on it when playing gigs and stuff. No backup needed for this pedal. It doesn't collapse or not respond, and the patch change is ultra-fast (only a few miliseconds) so no sound disappearance or noises when switching patches. Very reliable pedal. // 10

Overall Impression: I was impressed by the quality. This pedal worth way more than the 150$ I paid for it. One of the best multi-effects I've ever heared (from this level of multi-effects). Exctually, I'm about to buy this guy's big brother, the G7\.1UT. It's about the same, but with more amp and pedal modeling and effects, and with a 12AX7 tube. Anyway, if you look for a simple and good pedal, that will provide good sound for very low price, get yourself the G2. // 9

G2 Reviewed by: draljo, on july 04, 2008

Price paid: € 99

Ease of Use: It takes some time to get the yound you want because it has a really big span of effects bulit in. Editing is quite complex, you need to study the manual first else you won't get anywhere. After some time when you get used to it doesn't seem so complex anymore, but after few months I still don't know all the effects bulit in. Manual is really good, it explains all procedures from putting the baterries in to creating custom patches and explains all effects and settings. // 9

Sound: I use them with my Ibanez GAX30 and TBX15R at home. I also used them with larger speaker system-about 1000 watts and it still sounded good. Pitch shifter function is the only one that disaponted me, instead of shifting pich as the name suggests it only adds the alterned sound to original. I tried it for playing GN'R without downtuning once(I set the pitch shifter to lower the sound for one semitone) and it sounded really horrible. Harmoniser acctualy works surprisingly well. I also like acoustic "distortion" wich sounds very nice and auto wah and resonate functions. They give such meaning to dinamics. I miss dynamics dependent overdrive, but maybe I culd create a patch for that. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I really trust this product. It has never failed me. I could sure use it for a gig without a backup, running on DC power. I never tried it on batteries and probably won't until I have my DC adaptor. // 10

Overall Impression: I mostly play rock stuff, from classic rock to alternate, Indie, punk or metal, even some blues and acoustic stuff. If fits me quite well, because of it's big nubmer of overdives (17 or 19 I belive) and I can create patch for almost everything if I have enough time. I totaly love the no attack function wich makes your guitar sound like a violin whithout messing with the volume knob on guitar itself. In combination with delay you can play even som relaxing/meditation music. I just miss the pedal for real time adjustments like the one in Zoom G2.1U (wich is about 70% more expensive here so to expensive for me). I might buy additional pedal sometime, maybe. // 10

G2 Reviewed by: |Matt Dolan|, on august 15, 2008

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: The pedal is not to hard to get used to, it just takes abit of using and reading the manual. Editing patches isn't to hard once you get used to it, you just got select the effect then twiddle the knobs until you find the sound you're looking for and you can then layer the effects over each other, for instance, chorus and delay, to create some really unique sounds. The Manual is rather good actually, providing helpful pictures and not just paragraph after paragraph of boring and uninformative text. // 7

Sound: I'm using it with a Fender Frontman 15G and AV50T Marshall half stack. The effects are generally good, with a few crap ones, but for the price, they're good. I've been able to get a Slash type sound which I use quite a lot. The good thing with this amp is that people post vids on youtube/text guides on sites onto how to recreate certain sounds of your favourite artists, meaning there's loads of possibilities. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The thing is built like a tank, I've dropped it countless times and it has shown no signs of breaking, and don't drop it on your foot, it hurts like a bitch. I probaly would gig without a backup as this is all I've got and my band doesn't really require a pedal as we don't use delay or phaser etc, just the pedal gives me a wider choice of distortion sounds and makes my cleans nicer, especially the Vox clean effect. // 9

Overall Impression: Some of the more subtle tones, such as the Overdrive and amp modellers are good for my band's type of music, but the phaser and delay gives me more options and is fun to mess about with. If this were to be stolen I would replace it straight away, this pedal does everything I want it to and more. It has a phaser, auto wah, delay, amp models, EQ and much more. The only thing I'd like it to have is a pedal so that I could do the wah manually, but the reason I didn't get that is because I cheaped out on the G2 and not the G2.1U which comes with an expression pedal. // 8

G2 Reviewed by: Amer21214, on september 16, 2008

Ease of Use: It's patching is amazing, and suits great to get any metal, jazz, ska, punk, blues sound out of it. crazy! I just love finding new sounds from day to day with it! // 10

Sound: I use it at home with a Ibanez GRG270B and a (Ibanez ibz3 amplifier at home/marshall valvestate 50w in the garage), and I must say that I like it better with my small home Ibanez ibz 3 rather than any other amplifiers I tried it on (Peavey's and Crate's mostly). Some effects can be noisy a bit (I plugged it into a high frequency Marshall input on a gig once while my "ex-"distortion was active and the sound crashed making it quite irritable, but it can be fixed by meddling with the gain. I can't quite find the perfect metal sound I'm looking for, but for the money paid for it, it gets pretty close.:^D= I'm still searching for a patch to get a Metallica sound, but it seems like a mission impossible. I got a Machine Head(burn my eyes) sound, a Slipknot(subliminal version) sound, as well as the clean for most ska bands. I don't play blues or jazz, but I think that I accidentally passed over a few clean sounds which are pretty great for blues/jazz/mellow music. But then again, I prefer metal, so if you want to get a great variety of distortions for this money, I'd say go for this one. It's a surprising little gadget! // 9

Reliability & Durability: This little device has the armor alloyed from Titan and Chemical X. It's almost impossible to chip, break or malfunction the ZoomG2! It's one of the most reliable processors on the market and it'll never fail you. Gigging with it using no backup what'soever is 100% safe, and you'll be most satisfied with it's durability no matter what you do or where you go with it. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly metal, and I must say that the ZoomG2 is a perfect choice if you don't play professionally (metal, that is. professional artists from other genres could probably be using it!). I've been playing guitar for 12 years now, electric for 9, and I'm still using this processor and I don't think I'm gonna replace it that soon. If I did lose it or someone stole it, I'd definitely buy it again. I don't trust any other processor more than this one. I love it's durability and reliability (which is the main reason I bought it!). The patching and sounding are incredible, the simple display, integrated drum samples and tuner, it deserves to be topping all other processors when it comes to the economic aspect of this product. I played on DigiTech's and Behringer's and the ZoomG2 completely wins them. Boss processors are better than the ZoomG2, but they are also pretty more expensive, so... // 10

G2 Reviewed by: sumeet911, on october 20, 2009

Purchased from: Musicians Mall (Mumbai)

Ease of Use: Using this pedal with the default presets will not take much time and efforts.Although editing patches is a real pain.There are total four knobs, One for selecting a category and other three to edit the parameters of that.You will have to refer the manual multiple times to understand the meaning of the characters shown in the 2x EIGHT SHAPED digital display. Manual is very detailed and it will be best for you if you go thought it at least once before using the unit.It's there for a reason! The G2 doesn't have any PC connectivity, so Upgrading the firmware at home doesn't seem to be an option (may be the service center may upgrade it). // 8

Sound: Setting it up is very easy, Just connect your amp and guitar and its ready, I am using it with my marshal amp and Ibaner GRG 50 guitar and it sounds great. switching between presets is also easy, although creating your own patches will require you to read the whole manual. Noisy? No! not at all if you are using a good adapter,I tried it on a cheap Chinese adapter and it started to make buzzes.The unit itself doesn't have any unwanted noise. The effects are good. The product is being promoted by mentioning that it is having 40 presets and 40 user editable effects but actually it only have 20 presets. The remaining 20 presets are the copy of first but these are tagged as "FOR RECORDING". The first 20 are tagged as "For Live". The difference between the 1st 20 (For Live) and next 20 (for recording) is negligible. Anyways having 20 good effects is better than having 40 crappy similar sounding effects ( as in DigiTech RP80). The distortion presets are good.The Acoustic simulator is also good.Although better sounding patches are available on net.You will have to add them in the 40 user editable presets. // 9

Reliability & Durability: The build quality and looks is awesome. The knobs are of plastic coated with metallic luster (I am pretty much sure that it will Wear out in a a year). The body is of real metal with rubber coating in the sides. Its a little heaver than G1X(which includes a expression pedal).The foot switches are of very good quality (metallic). I Would definitely use it on a gig without a backup, but not on battery.The batters drains in an hour of continuous usage. // 10

Overall Impression: I like to play rock and Acoustic type music(country style with finger picking) the Acoustic simulator works fine for it.The effects are good for lead and rhythm in rock music. Although if you are planning to play thrash metal or metal then the distortion is not good enough.Actually I don't think you will find that type of distortion in multieffects. Overall its an excellent piece in this this price range. Go for it! // 9

G2 Reviewed by: ibanez1997, on july 18, 2011

Purchased from: Amazon

Ease of Use: First of all, let me start off by saying that this little unit can coax the most amazing sounds out of the worst amps ever made. That being mentioned, the user interface is very tricky, and it is almost impossible to edit patches without the user manual. The parameter table in the manual is confusing at first, but explains the unit very well. Also, switching patches in real time is extremely difficult if you're using more than two or three, as you have to toggle the footswitches repeatedly to find what you want. // 7

Sound: I have a good Ibanez GRG170DX and a really horrible 10-watt amp, but I can get some really amazing tones with the G2. Because of the amp, the clean tones are really fuzzy, but the distortion is superb. There are several amp and stompbox simulators on the Drive module (which are excellent) and an Acoustic simulator (which could be better). I play mostly hard rock and metal, like Metallica, GnR, and the like, and I've found the MS Drive to be excellent for these tones. I've only had it a couple of months, so I haven't fiddled with the other modules too much, but there's not much interference. All in all, the sound more than makes up for the bad user interface, and is a lot better than I expected for the price. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've heard a lot of comments about the Boss pedals, along the lines of "you could drop a nuclear bomb on it and the casing wouldn't break". In terms of durability, the G2 seems like that, IMHO. The feature that makes it stand out from the Zoom G1 is that it has metal casing with rubber on the sides, while the G1 is plastic, so it's far more durable. I haven't gigged with it, because I'm not in a band yet, but I play on it at least 2 hours a day, 4 or 5 on a weekend, and it's not even scratched. So yes, I would gig without a backup, but I'd either keep some spare batteries with me or use the adapter. // 10

Overall Impression: As I've mentioned, I play a lot of metal, and the distortion effects suit my style perfectly. I generally use the Compressor module too, and throw some EQ into the mix, and that's about enough. It's the only effects unit I own, and I won't need another one for a while. If it was stolen or lost, I might save up and buy a Zoom G2.1 or Zoom G2.1Nu, because of the USB interface and built-in expression pedal, but I'd have no qualms about getting the G2 again. I compared it with the G1 and some DigiTech pedals, but my guitar teacher firmly recommended this one, and I'm happy I got it. Also, I've heard that DigiTech has bad distortion, so... // 9

More Zoom reviews rating category latest review
+ G1XNext 8.3 Guitar Effects 06/09/2014