G2Nu Review

7.9
reviews (2) pictures (3) 11 comments vote for this gear:
G2Nu Reviewed by: markleehunter, on august 22, 2011

Purchased from: American Musical Supply

Ease of Use: This is the G2NU, and NOT the G2.1Nu. It's the same device except the latter has an expression pedal. OK, is it esy to use? If you know Zoom's G2 interface, it's the same, only better, more control over the parameters and better visibility. If not, you'll have to read thye manual and get used to it. I learned this interface by tweaking or programming a sound every time I played. You learn it fast. // 9

Sound: I use this device when I travel, so it runs through any amp I encounter from PA to tranny to tubes, and at home I run it through a Yahama DG60FX - yup, a modeling amp - a Kustom Centender, Crate PB150 Powerblock, and a Pevaey Royal 8 I modded. It sounds excellent with all of them. I nailed Page's "Whole Lotta Love" with this, but I prefer making my own sounds. Some I've programmed from scratch, but the onboard artist presets on this thing are actually so good, and so different, that I've simply tweaked them to get the sounds I want for the most part. Check the online specs for the specific amps and stomp boxes modelled on this device; I'll just say here that there are plenty, and they sound very good. They're not exact copies, but who cares? The Vox model sounds Voxy, the Fender models are Fenderish. The octave divider and booster features are excellent; delays and reverbs sound rich, and even the chorus, which I usually hate on MFX, sounds lush, not tinny. I used the tremolo on a Fogerty tune yesterday, sounded perfect. It would take me months to work through everything that's here, and in the meanwhile here's the bottom line: I quite liked the G2, and this is better. It also has better drum parts onboard, and better control of the beats (time is in BPM). One problem: The noise reduction is not as good as on the G2. Not that it lets noise through: On the contrary, you'll have to tweak it carefully to stop it from killing your sustain, But you can. I point off. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I depend on my G2s. I take a G2 with me, loaded with 4 AAs, ont he orad or to jams. I set it down, turn it on, plug it in, and there's my sound. However, of the three I wowned - a G2, G2.1U and now this - the G2.1U has bugs I hate. The drumbox feature stopped working and the selector pedal buttons don't always function. So you CAN get a bad one, and it can go bad after the guarantee is done. 2 points off. // 8

Overall Impression: I'm a Slide player, and I do not have a band; I sit in when I feel the need for company. I use a lot of different gear, from Pignose to Bassman 100, tranny and tube. I have about a dozen guitars, mainly Reverends these days, and all very nice pieces, even if they're not luxury guitars; they all play and sound great. I need good bass response, because the basis of my technique is Delta Blues, and I need good modern rhythm and lead sounds too (though I do NOT play metal in any form). The Zoom has it, as well as a lot of effects I will never use. You get this device so you can put a good-sounding amp in your pocket and on stage if you get the chance. There is no other modeler that sounds this good and offers as much versatility and portability. I've compared it to Line 6 and Digitech; the battery-powered Line 6 devices aren't as good sounding, and the Digitechs don't have that capability and sound much more digital to my ears. I also own a Tech 21 Blonde Character pedal, which does nothing but modelm Fender amps. That is a truly amazing device, and the amp models sound richer than the Zoom, and distortions sound better on it too. If you just want a modeler, the Tech 21 character series are top value. If you need an all in one package, which I often do, get the Zoom and you'll thank me. // 9

G2Nu Reviewed by: guitarplayer369, on december 20, 2013

Purchased from: Muisicians Friend

Ease of Use: Let's put it this way, I didn't even need the instruction manual to figure this unit out. That easy. But if you do have problems the instructions guides, online support and YouTube videos can help you out. You'd have to be pretty dumb not to be able to use this unit. If you have problem editing patches you can always go to their website and download free editing software and user submitted patches to help get the sound you're looking for. To get the right sound take a little bit of tweaking, but it's so easy for me to tweak it didn't take long and for most people I know it wouldn't for them either. // 10

Sound: I was looking for something compact with decent priced with the basic features I needed without a bunch effects and other useless thing I didn't need to paid for. I already have a Peavey 5150 2x12 for gigging and a small Roland Cube 15 for home practice so it's not like I needed a processor for major distortion effects. It does have a USB port for computer recording which is a plus and cleanly done record too. It has a good variety of the basic effects I was looking for like chorus, an EQ (6 band by the way), digital delay, acoustic simulator, noise gate, harmonizer and a signal booster. The effect themselves sound great and more than do the job. Unlike the G2.1NU it doesn't have an expression pedal. You maybe thinking "wouldn't that be a com?". Answer for me, no. I went on Amazon dot com and saw this thing selling way cheaper than on any other site, but they had a limited quantity of them. I called up Musician's Friend and they priced matched me on the deal I found so with the difference I save I am able to get a separate expression pedal that would sturdier and much more responsive and still have a few spare dollars. Expression pedal on most low to mid grade effects unit tend to be slow, unresponsive and junk most of the time. If you use action pickup (especially EMGs) be careful using the noise gate, it can kill your sustain and your notes will die fast. I love the fact this unit didn't have a ton of unless artist preset, rarely does any effects processor ever even come close to how an artist or band ever sounds, but you can go online and download and demo a bunch of user made presets (and from my experiences they usually sound closer lol). The recording software that comes with unit is old and worthless. I couldn't even get it to activate and I went through it step by step. My buddy showed me what real recording software is so I now use Pro Tools. Cubase LE 4 is junk. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I was very surprised with the build. A metal case, solid rubber sidings and rubber mounts on the bottom for when gigging it won't slide all over the place. The bypass switches are 2 metal stick poles which since I have big feet they're easy to switch channels. I had problems in the past with other multi effects unit because they had wide plastic channel selectors which tended to be too close to each other and were easy to accidentally hit the wrong bank when going for another effect. I love the fact this unit has 3 power options which are batteries, plug in adapter or power off a USB port. This unit also has an on/off switch in the back, in the past I has unit were I had to unplug the whole unit just to turn it off which was a pain. I do like the well lit mini display, if gigging it would be easy to see in dim places. // 10

Overall Impression: Consider what I already have as far as amps and guitars this unit does everything I need it to do. I This is great for home practice because it can either plug into an amp, powered speakers or your computer. It had a built in drum machine to help write song, practice song and it's easy to adjust. It also has a metronome for practicing scales and picking. The the built in looper to me is useless, what good does 5 seconds of loop time do for most musicians? My only wish would be the looper have at least 15 second. The built in tuner is pretty decent, but I wouldn't rely on it for gigging, you have to hit both bypass buttons at the same time and that takes up too much time to do, any gigging musician should use a clip on tuner always and make sure it's a good one that doesn't come loose easily. I could easily gig with this because if I set up my banks ahead of time then to switch to the sounds I want would be easy. This unit is sturdy, yet very portable. If lost I'd have problems finding it because it's small lol. If stolen, I'd call the police with the serial numbers (always keep your box and serial numbers around, I had the police return something stolen once before because a pawn shop ran the serial numbers through their system), if I didn't get it back I'd get a better one like the Zoom G5 (never go back, always move forwards). // 9

More Zoom reviews rating category latest review
+ G1XNext 8.3 Guitar Effects 06/09/2014