G3 Review

7.2
reviews (7) pictures (2) 26 comments vote for this gear:
G3 Reviewed by: lithium17z, on november 06, 2012

Purchased from: Online

Ease of Use: The Zoom G3 Multi-effects Pedal. With the power of an advanced multi-effects unit, the convenience of a pedalboard, and the versatility of a USB audio interface, the Zoom G3 guitar effects and amp simulator pedal is your go-to all-purpose guitar super tool. Three large LCD displays and footswitches give you a genuine stomp-box experience, and individual controls for effects and amp molding make the G3 an invaluable live tool. Create and store up to 100 original tones using 100 built-in DSP effects. Other features, such as an onboard drum Machine and a built in 40-second looper are especially handy for private practice. In the studio, you'll love the G3's USB and XLR outputs. And because the it comes with both ZOom's Edit & Share Preset Software and Steinberg's Sequal LE recording software, you'll get even more out of your G3 when you hook it up to your computer! // 9

Sound: I Play Zoom G3 using Jackson Dinky JS-22R Guitar And Line6 Spider IV Amp, the Noise is Negligible with settings of 75% gain with no voltage drop. Zoom G3 is perfect in many cases and it has remarkably great sound, I like jazzy tone, sometimes crunchy rock n roll & metal of various Frequency of tone and all that I can get my favorite patches from the Internet or by setting patches by myself. Zoom G3 is very good at replicating analog circuit. The distortion, chorus, etc and all other effect available are very carefully set and gives a very lively tone with max sustain which is very good. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have used Zoom G3 Processor in Many of my Studio And Live Performances and it's been great experience using this gear. Although I always keep other for back up, but I can definitely rely on Zoom G3, because it doesn't need much for maintenance and it runs smoothly with zero noise. // 9

Overall Impression: I am a rock alternative & acoustic artist, and I know how much it is important to have a muti-effect processor, for many reasons Zoom G3 is great, reliable and also cheap in price. Zoom G3 multi-effects pedal specifications: - 3 large LCD displays and footswitches; - Amp or stomp box effects can be used in any combination; - Authentic amp modeling simulates amps, cabinets and mics separately; - Over 100 built-in DSP effects; - Create and store up to 100 original tones; - Integrated drum machine; - Looper function with 40 seconds of phrase recording and overdubbing; - USB audio interface for DAW recording (Mac and PC); - Includes Edit & Share and Steinberg Sequal LE recording software; - Over 6 hours of operation using 4 AA batteries, as well as USB bus and AC power.

// 9

G3 Reviewed by: kutless999, on february 15, 2012

Purchased from: Ebay vendor

Ease of Use: It is very easy to get your tone out of the Zoom G3. Right out of the box you have many good and usable presets to start playing with. It is very simple to edit and make patches on the G3. All you have to do is scroll through the many great fx and amp models the G3 has to offer and start turning the stompbox like knobs that correspond to the parameters on screen. The manual is pretty good, although it doesn't explain everything. I had to upgrade the G3 only once for some bug fixes and other minor things. // 10

Sound: Most of the time I just plug my headphones into the great headphone out the G3 has to offer. This unit sounds amazing through headphones. The effects in this thing are Stellar and have many parameters to tweak. The delays and verbs in this thing are worth the $180 alone and are amazing. You can also use the tap tempo button to set delay times and flanger rates, chorus rates, etc... The only effects in this unit that aren't that good are the pitch shifting effects such as the harmonizer and the Octaver. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This thing is built like a tank and can certainly take a beating. I'd defanatly rely on the G3 without a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mostly classic rock and blues, and the G3 can give me those tones without a problem. I've been playing for about three years and the other gear I own is a Squier Affinity Strat and a Roland Cube 15X. I love the amp models and effects in this thing. You can't get a unit with better effects for under $200 IMO. If I somehow lost the G3, I'd probably buy it again. I don't really like the patch switching in the G3. It's not the best for live use. My favorite feature has to be the 40 second looper and the drum machine. It's a great practice tool for getting inspired and having fun. I wished the G3 had a few more amp models like the 57 Champ and the Vox AC15. All in all, the G3 is an amazing price of gear for the price and I think if you're looking for a mfx unit under $200, you can't go wrong with the G3. // 10

G3 Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 25, 2012

Purchased from: Pakistan Electronics Music

Ease of Use: Three screens and plenty of knobs and buttons put pedals like the POD HD to shame when it comes to ease of use. At a glance you can see exactly what you have in your signal chain. The screens are big, bright and clear. Perfect for live use. I must say three screens go a long way in giving this pedal its value. You can see exactly what you're doing on these three crystal clear screens all the time. It helps a ton when dialing in your tone settings and makes everything just a button press away. You don't have to think about at all. Its hard to explain how simple and well presented every thing is on this pedal. Child's play nonetheless. // 10

Sound: This pedal definitely shines when it comes to Drive sounds. The distortion sounds you can get from this are as organic as can be. I've seen some on line demo's of this pedal (particularly guitar worlds demo) which do this thing No Justice. If you have a particular tone in mind and know how to dial in your sound, then the sky is the limit. The distortions sound absolutely amazing. The amp are excellent too. Though I'm not a fan of all of them some work really really well. All the way from clean scooped chorus tones to Hendrix crunch tones to powerful metal chugging they sound brilliant. Overall very very happy with the Drive tones. The number of effects you get are mind blowing. Although some like the "bomber" are utter pieces of crap, the rest are pretty good and quite useful. If you have an effect in mind, chances are you'll get it on the G3. Some are definitely better than others but all most all can be used to get creative. The delays and reverbs on this are also Brilliant and could be the soul reason to pay 1000 dollars for this pedal. There is a huge variety to choose from and all of them sound really really good. The looper and drum machines are also super easy to use. For practice as a metronome, playing over a chord progression, creating riffs or working on a guitar part both are very very helpful. I should mention that the Drum Machine has plenty of beats to jam and practice to. Metal, Blues shuffle, Rock its all there. These make hours of jam sessions on your own riffs possible. I still have a lot of fun with it. Great for practicing! Overall this pedal sounds very good. For the price, Its a steal! // 9

Reliability & Durability: All metal body, metal switches, solid buttons and knobs with good tactile feedback, not a single loose part. This thing was built to last and to play live. The only problem is that the screens can get scratched up very easily due to the soft material on them. I'd recommend buying a cheap screen protector for them. // 8

Overall Impression: Awesome for Metal, Rock, Blues, clean strumming and singing lead tones. Amazing delays and reverbs. Huge array of effects. Looper and Drum Machine are Great for practice and jamming. I use it as an audio interface to record guitar in my home studio. Truly can do professional quality recording. Saves you $150 from buying an audio interface if you're starting out. Metal body and switches make it great for live playing. I'm so much in love with this pedal that I'm planning to buy a second one for 6 stomp boxes at my disposal! Zoom hit the jackpot with this. The best value in the market no doubt. Congrats and hats off to the guys who made this! // 10

G3 Reviewed by: adilovemetal, on may 15, 2012

Purchased from: Small town shop

Ease of Use: The best guitar effects till date for live use and tweaking patches. Zoom has lived up to it's name in the metal genre with the introduction of the new ZFX IV chip inside this little monster. The high gain sounds of this unit beats Line 6 modeling any day. Acoustic modeling isn't that great though, but I don't care. I am satisfied with my vast array of high gain sounds that this unit offers me, with the exception of the PV Drive, but who cares? Its child's play to edit the patches on this unit. Manual is helpful too. All in all, a great product for metal guitarists who perform live. // 10

Sound: I use it through a shitty Zoom Fire 18 amp, my guitar is a Schecter Damien 6 FR with passive EMG's. I am satisfied with the overall tone, but its the USB sound quality which blew me away! The edit and share software is a hands down for me. I Simply love it! The noise gates on this unit are pretty good. Generally I play bands like Lamb Of God, Meshuggah, MegaDeth, Slayer, sometimes As I Lay Dying and the other metalcore bands. And the result! I get the desired tone any time I want! The effects are okay-ish. Generally I use a Distortion pedal on 1 channel, a noise gate on the second and some reverb on the third. That's all I need actually. So this unit works best for me. Many people complain about the expression pedal. Honestly? You don't really need it until you are some pro gigger. What else can you expect out of a $200 box? // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can really, really, really, really depend on it. Its made out of S.O.L.I.D metal body, and if it falls down, I doubt its gonna shut down permanently. It looks strong enough to handle stage abuse. I would definitely use it in a gig without a backup. Another plus point is the really long battery life! (thumbs up). If I ever, Ever lose this unit I am gonna buy this again, or buy the G5. // 10

Overall Impression: I play all types of metal, it really suits my style. The factory presets suck by the way, I would recommend that you should make your own "signature" tones... The drives are awesome, acoustic simulation OK, effects are more than OK, noise gate rocks, basically you can get Any sound. Top boost, smoking blues, over the top boost, bone crunching metal tones, and some weird effects like the "bomber". I really don't know what use is this "bomber" for! I would recommend this to: 01) Metal guitarists 02) Recording buffs 03) Live players This unit has been very poorly reviewed on Ultimate Guitar. I hope the ratings increase and this little bastard of a G3 gets some recognition. It truly deserves it. // 10

G3 Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 24, 2012

Price paid: C$ 300

Purchased from: Ebay

Ease of Use: Massive amount of pedal choices but a bit of learning curve. Choosing pedals is best done on the computer, while adjusting levels is best done on the pedal itself. This is a bit of a pain in the butt, but if you think about it, once you find the levels, you wont really change them. Updated firmware to 1.13, easily done. // 9

Sound: I play through 500 Watt Fender MetalHead using a heavily modified Epiphone Casino. Effects sound good through amp, but I still haven't gone through all of effects as there are thousands of combinations. The effects are quite electronic sounding not not bad over all. I really wanted to love this pedal... But the expression pedal I bought for it was a huge disappointment. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I will not use the pedal for one major reason... The disappointment that is the expression pedal. The expression pedal only adjusts levels of certain pedals, not clicking them on and off. This means, if you want to use the Wah, you have to take your food off the expression pedal, click the G3 and then come back to the expression pedal for the Wah effect... This is horrible. // 1

Overall Impression: The useless expression pedal kills the G3. If you want to use Wah effects, or any effect you want to click on and off and adjust... Stay as far from this pedal as possible. If you can get by without the expression pedal, the G3 might be for you. It is not for me... // 4

G3 Reviewed by: r4sha, on june 04, 2012

Purchased from: Online Shop

Ease of Use: Zoom G3 is very easy to use. It has 3 pedal which operated like a regular Stomp box. It has very 3 pieces Led light with Orange color. The foot switch is very light and soft, to tell you the truth I'm quite shocked for it. There is no significant volume drop to suck tone between the FX on/off. It's very easy to get a great sound out of this pedal. I don't need the manual because it's just like 3 stomp box but with many feature. Editing the patches is really easy just turning the 3 knob to find your needs.For the firmware, mine hasn't been upgrade. And there are options for G3 Zoom plug into what (eg Amps Input, Direct to the mixer or Return amps), making the G3 is very versatile for all conditions during live or recording. // 9

Sound: I'm using a custom Tele with humbucker on the bridge. I'm using this direct to my PC. It's a bit noisy but the noise gate can handle it for sure. Now for the effects. As ell all know Zoom G3 offers several types of effects, such as Amp sims, Dynamics, Filter / EQ, Drive, Delay, Modulation, Reverb, Twin FX and FX pedals. I tried to give a quick reviews of each of them. 1. Amp Sims. On this section Zoom really works hard to develop the sound of the amps. And the result it's really good actually if it's compare to the previous Zoom G1/G2. It has more dynamics and more tweak able. Of the amps that I tried: Marshall, Diezel, Mesa Boogie, and Vox, the sound is amazing. But the cabs sims is not my liking thought. 2.Dynamics I haven't really use this section. 3.Filter/EQ. To be honest in this section I really curios and interested with the Step, Random Filter and Seq Filter. It really have an awesome sound, that I think could be applied on my band music. 4.Drive. Because I have a Heart Breaker (Blues Breaker clone) and Rasha Fuzz 70's (Fulltone Fuzz 70's clone)so for this section I haven't tweak it. 5.Delay. This section are the one who really stand out if you asked me. It has many type of delay effects, such as multi tap delay, delay Filter, and Pitch delay. All this effects sounds weird. Moreover Pitch delay, If I Pick one note, the delay sounds like it has a pitch higher than the first note. So if I Pick a note (Do) the the delay sound would give the notes (Re), It's really awesome. 6. Modulation This type of effect is the reason I'm buying Zoom G3. The Quality of this effects are really good and really complete. It has a tremolo, Flanger, Chorus, Vibe, Vibrato, Phaser, Pitch Shifter, n there is Slicer, too. But one effects that failed is the Pitch effects (HPS, Octave, Pitch Shifter). The sound is really thin, and when I bend a note, the pitch is all over the place. 7. Reverb This type of effect is the best effects that G3 has. Especially the HD reverb. It's really awesome. 8 & 9. Twin Pedal FX and FX. I haven't really use this section. And for the number 9, Zoom G3 is without Exp Pedal. So I can't try this section. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I'm really sure I could depend on it. It really strong build. I'm quite sure I could depend on it on a gig. But for a backup, I'm thinking to buy 2 or 3 more of this. Or maybe combined the G3 with Line 6 M9. I'm Pretty sure it would be an awesome mix if it were put together. // 9

Overall Impression: I'm playing a British pop rock kind of music but with ambience (Reverbs and delay). My band is very full loaded hehehe with 2 guitars and keyboard. I've been playing guitar for almost 12 years with many Genre. I have a couple of stompbox too like I have mentioned above. If it were stolen I would definitely buy this thing again. It's really awesome. For the money I spend this thing is a best buy item hehehe. There's only one problem. Zoom G3 is a multi effects unit which generated by processors. And as we know that processors has it's limits. So when you combine effects which really used the procesors such as HD reverbs, the result is you can not combine all three of them. One of them will be Thru or in bypass mode. I think it's really sucks because HD reverbs is really cool effects to combine with. But overall this is the best Effects unit I have tried so far. All sound from this units sound amazing. // 8

G3 Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 10, 2013

Purchased from: Ebay

Ease of Use: Very simple to use. The patches were a bit confusing at first (since I've never used patches before) but very easy to figure out. You can have up to 6 stomp boxes (after you update the firmware to 2.0) lined up for a plethora of sounds! Simple 3 knob + pages for each effect. The looper is also very easy to use. Overall, the pedal is very intuitive to say the least. This is a well thought out pedal with tonnes of versatility. I did not even have to crack open the manual to find out how to do everything. // 9

Sound: I run a Fender Strat with noiseless pups through this pedal directly in to headphones (when I'm at home) or a Fender Green Board Blues Jr. Sometimes I use my knock off Tele Thinline with P90s. With my noiseless pups, feedback noise is not a big problem. The gate works well with the P90s (which are noisy). There are a few effects that are not that great, but overall the effects are very nice. Not "digital sounding" at all. Running the G3 with headphones is a treat since the amp modelling is done so well on this pedal. The pedal sings through my Blues Jr though (only for about 30 mins though, since I don't have the Bias mod done yet for my amp (it (the Blues Jr, not the G3) overheats). Overall my OCD ears are very impressed with this little unit! // 10

Reliability & Durability: It's made mostly of plastic, so I don't know how road worthy this pedal is, but that said, you are not kicking around all the extra connectors and wires that come with something like a pedal board. Get a nice backpack or case for this thing and it should last. It's not built like a tank, but I'm pretty sure it will hold up to the road. Just take care of it and it should last (like most things in life that you don't eat). I don't gig much anymore (used to play on Church praise teams) so I'm just using it at home and sometimes in an empty sanctuary. // 8

Overall Impression: I play mostly CCM/rock. Depending on my mood I might play a bit of punk/metal. I've been trying to rock out "Canon Rock" and "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" (Impellitteri or however you spell it) lately, but am finding my fingers have slowed down quite a bit with age. I'm 38 and have been playing on and off since high school. This pedal seriously rocks. If it were stolen I would cry because my wife probably won't let me buy any more gear over $100. I've owned quite a few analog pedals before (about 9 on a board) and a few cheaper digital multi effects too. Honestly, I can't tell too big of a difference between this and the analog board I had (although it's MUCH better than the old Zoom G2.1U and the VAMP-2 I had), I gave up on individual stomps when I got married. And I don't play much anymore so I sold all the single stomp goodness I once had. I researched quite a bit before buying this. This pedal is definitely worth the money compared to others out there. // 10

More Zoom reviews rating category latest review
+ G3X 9.3 Guitar Effects 10/09/2014