G3X Review

9.5
 9.4
reviews (3) pictures (1) user comments vote for this gear:
G3X Reviewed by: kunal.vt.3, on december 21, 2013

Ease of Use: The editing is so simple with the G3X. You can instantly use the stomp-box mode to make changes. Plus, the global button makes it even easier to change the master volume of the whole unit. You can also change the signal flow direction if you are using it with other effects. You can easily assign effect of the expression pedal as well. The auto save function automatically saves the recent changes without you having to store it again and again. The manual is very succinct. You can upgrade the firmware to the latest version too from the website. // 10

Sound: I try and play everything from classic rock to heavy metal to soft melodies. I needed a processor to take care of all those tones and help me tweak them when needed. Zoom G3X is just the perfect unit. I do not use any effects with it. I have never been a pedal board person. Well it is a bit noisy if you connect it to your PC with the USB. Other than that, if you connect it straight to the amp the ZNR (zoom noise reduction) works perfectly to nullify any such noise. The effects are very organic and do not sound digital. I pretty much like them all, except for the acoustic simulator, which is not as clean as it should have been. But seriously, editing is so simple with the G3X. You can instantly use the stomp-box mode to make changes. Plus, the global button makes it even easier to change the master volume of the whole unit. You can also change the signal flow direction if you are using it with other effects. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I have played live using the G3X. No hassles whatsoever. Switching between patches is very smooth, and the foot-switches are very robust. Very reliable. It has battery port for such exigencies though. But I doubt I'll ever need it. There has been a glitch while playing with it. There is no lag whatsoever, nor any problems of the unit freezing. The finish looks impeccable and nice quality. I'm sure I'll be using this for a while. Besides, I love how the G3X looks. Zoom always makes aesthetically pleasing products. But this not only looks good but performs just as well. // 10

Overall Impression: I play from Metallica, Led Zep, Andy James, Petrucci, Santana, to anything I find appealing to my ears. I have been playing for around 4 years now. There isn't much science going on with the G3X, it's for everybody - very easy to use. If it were stolen, I might buy it again depending on what else is available at the time in the market. My personal favorite is the edit & share feature. I keep it connected to my PC all the time when playing so that I can edit instantly. I had been doing my research for months before buying this. Trust me there is nothing better than G3X in its price range. // 9

G3X Reviewed by: chaijen, on february 04, 2014

Price paid: € 180

Purchased from: Thomann

Ease of Use: It's really easy to start with the presets and edit them, select a different amp model, effect, effect level and in the forums you find lots of cool presets for U2, Police, Santana etc sounds so you will get really good sound results very fast. The manual is helpful and the unit is really easy to handle. Before forget, the internal looper and the drum machine (it's a simple drum machine that plays patterns but its great for practicing and recording loops) are great. Will have to check for the firmware version, i have it for a year now. Received it 1 week before CEBIT 2013 where I played with it, there's some U2, Police, Santana, Jeff Beck on my FB page and I have to say i got good feedback for my sound just tele in DI then straight in the PA. This is my first review of this kind. I really just want to give me honest opinion on this fantastic peace of gear. Thanks for reading! // 10

Sound: I use the G3X with the optional footswitch. I play all different kinds of music from latin/salsa to funk jazz, pop - it's just for country that I prefer my setup with a Fender Supersonic 1 overdrive and one delay to using the G3X. Unless someone gets a really good tele clean twang out of the G3X. For the rest its fantastic, I love the warm lead sounds, police and U2 stuff works really nice because delays and modulations sound really really good. So my main setup is the G3X 1 out in a palmer di then straight in the P.A. and the 2nd out in my monitoring system which is really nice old 60 watt Yamaha monitor. If you are interested you can hear me play Jeff Beck with this setup from cebit 2013 where I performed.

I do not use G3X in front of an amp. But it fits well in a pedalboard with other pedals as well. I tab tempo with the optional footswitch and use pedal as volume, wah, whammy, sometimes I use a second volume pedal in front so the G3X can make delay level or other controls. I really don't like having to spend too much time on finding out how an effects unit works and I am not very good at it but the G3X is really very very easy to use. Start making 3 good presets go from there and it's really nice and easy to work with this unit and it's really not noisy at all. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I'ts really built as a tank - there is nothing to worry about. I would use it at any gig without backup. Never broke down on me. Very reliable. I put it in my metal case with cables and stuff and also the built in pedal is very solid and does not feel cheap at all. Live it shows a nice colour so no problem during daylight also. I forgot. The tuner is so so, not very accurate and could be improved. I think this kit will last for a few years so there is nothing to worry about about durability. Never had a problem so far. // 9

Overall Impression: Yes I can recommend it to any style. Personally I use it for anything live but country. I play all different kinds of music from latin funk soul fusion jazz, country. I have been playing for 30 years have left-handed telecasters, strats, vigier guitars, I made my patches with the Tele maybe thats why I think it sounds best with a Tele. I would immediately get a new one when it got stolen. You can easily save your presets through a software with USB. I compared it to the bigger and more expensive Roland Line 6 and the bigger G5 board and for me there was no alternative. I liked it right away. If you could add like an old Vibrolux Bassman or similar amp model could be something i would wish to have. Overall love the unit! // 10

More Zoom reviews rating category latest review
+ G1XNext 8.3 Guitar Effects 04/07/2014