GFX-4 Review

manufacturer: Zoom date: 06/22/2011 category: Guitar Effects
Zoom: GFX-4
Guitar multi effects pedal. This thing is for real. It's not a cheapo pedal in any sense of the word. You really get your monies worth. Every effect is quality in sound.
 Ease of Use: 9
 7.8
 9.3
 6.2
reviews (3) 5 comments vote for this gear:
GFX-4 Reviewed by: UG Team, on august 04, 2003

Purchased from: Walthamstow Music

Ease of Use: It's so easy to use, I got it home and took it out the box and it is truly plug n play, the manual is very straight forward if you need it (i didn't, it's all self explanitory). The only thing you need the manual for is the list of effects, they are all rarelly easy to edit and change and it sounds great even when played through a practice amp. // 10

Sound: It's load but it has a master volume control and you can control the volume of the effects using the pedal. So volume isn't a problem all the effects sound great and it has artists own effects ie EVH and Satch effects. The effects are so easy to switch from and to create sounds of your fav people. I can recreate KH sounds and switch to Clapton with an acoustic sim. It's so versitile and sounds great. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Yeah, I can depend on it. It's strong and sturdy and I would gig with it and wouldn't worry about needing a backup. // 10

Overall Impression: It's great, sounds great, effects are great, easy to use, versatile, durable, I would buy it again if something was to happen to it. I've seen my mates pedals and this wipes the floor with them, so amny effects and they are all good. // 10

GFX-4 Reviewed by: ***Hydra***, on june 22, 2011

Purchased from: Ebay

Ease of Use: Love my GFX-4. Buttons are easy to figure out. Just turn until you get the effect desired. "Save" to keep it permanent. You can really tweak the hell outta this thing, to your own taste. There is a bit of a learning curve. Not the easiest pedal to understand, but after awhile, you'll be able to find and create with ease. // 9

Sound: Awesome effects. This is one of the last true analog multi-effects pedals, so the sounds are pure and true, (unlike the digital, robotic sound distortions, now.) I love hard rock and some metal, and I can get some of the most violent sounding distortions from the GFX-4. There are so many different amp and guitar simulators, you'll be able to make even a crappy amp sound decent. Rock, country, jazz... It's all here. Now, some bad news. BE AWARE that if you want to Switch from one pedal effect to another, or add in an effect what you're already playing, there will be split second of silence as you do the switch. It's not a long delay, but it goes completely quite for about 1/8 of a second. For that, and that reason alone, I have to drop it a full 2 points in rating. The sound effects are a 10 in quality, but that pause of silence between effects is killer, when trying to record. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This thing is a brick. I don't see it any damage on it, but then again, I'm pretty gentle with my equipment. I've kept it clean and safe for years, and it still works like new. I would definitely depend on it at a gig, if there wasn't for that damned delay between changing effects! Grrrr! // 9

Overall Impression: This thing is for real. It's not a cheapo pedal in any sense of the word. You really get your monies worth. Every effect is quality in sound. I would say buy this pedal, and I'd probably look for another one, if it was lost/stolen. I love everything about this pedal... Except that damned delay between switching effects! Haha // 9

GFX-4 Reviewed by: disuse_PUNK, on may 30, 2005

Purchased from: AKM Music

Ease of Use: The GFX-4's presets sound amazing when tried in the store, but when you take it home, you end up spending hours getting that perfect sound. It can be frustrating, but it's totally worth it. The knobs and options are many, and it can get quite difficult to get that perfect sound, but to get the basic sound you want, it couldn't be easier. The manual was a real help, though. Diagrams and info, and pretty much the way every manual should be. // 8

Sound: I use an Ibanez RG-370DX, through the GFX-4, into my Laney TF300. It sounds awesome. I can get amazing high-end punk tones for lead and pick-scraping, amazing bass for more metal tones, and perfect clean/reverb tones for those slightly more ambient moments. The pedal can be noisy which can be useful for the style I play, but the ZNR (Zoom Noise Reduction) eliminates any noise you want out. Pretty much every effect sounds great, and it's great for how much it cost. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on this pedal, I've gigged 6 times since I got it in Decemeber with no problem, and without a backup. It feels a little flimsy, but it's taken abuse, which is cool. I have a feeling I will use a back-up in the future, tho. // 8

Overall Impression: I play everything, and the pedal suits everything especially with my Ibanez and Laney. I love it. I've been playing for nearly 4 years and this is the first effects board I've bought. Otherwise, I use the Ibanez SM7, or the Boss MT2. If this pedal was stolen, I actually try and get the Boss GT8 (amazing), but since the GT8 is so damn expensive, I'd probably go for another GFX4. I love the looks, the sound, everything, except I hate it's slightly flimsy feel. Comparing it to the GFX5 or the 505/606. I'd easily say this is the best Zoom pedal board out there except for the GFX8 which again, costs s--t loads. One thing I wish however, was the the distortion (which is very near perfect) had slightly more dist. Everything else is totally worth getting. // 10

More Zoom reviews rating category latest review
+ G3X 9.3 Guitar Effects 10/09/2014