GFX-8 Review

manufacturer: Zoom date: 04/05/2004 category: Guitar Effects
Zoom: GFX-8
69 Effects types. MIDI in and out. 160 built-in Zoom patches/80 user programmable patches. Built-in expression pedal. Large display.
 Ease of Use: 7
 7.4
 6.8
reviews (2) 14 comments vote for this gear:
GFX-8 Reviewed by: m2fu, on december 05, 2003

Ease of Use: I bought this multi fx approx about 4 years ago, it is an extremely versatile unit... You can get some really neat sounds out of this pedal, and it's really quite good value compared to the high priced DigiTech and Boss pedals that were selling for a much higher price back in the day with exactly the same features. The Zoom GFX-8 is complicated to use at first, I remember reading the manual for about 2 hours before I completely understood how to use all the features. the manual is in clear english although some things are explained rather awkwardly. But this is forgiven cuz they use diagrams for dummys :) editing the patches is simple, just press store, choose the bank and wham bam thank you mamm, your done! There are over 300 fx available with infinite combination effects etc,... some of the sounds are unnecessary and I doubt anyone except steve vai could find a use for them lol. The cool thing is the VAMS technology which is basically amp modelling software which is really neat. You dont need to use an amp to record any more, just run your guitar straight through the pedal into a recording system. // 6

Sound: You use the pedal with my 100 watt Marshall and my Jackson, but basically it can make any set up sound remotely good. Some of the effects are just plane jane, for example the pitch shifting effect sounds like space invaders not a Whammy pedal. All in all though its pretty good. The chorus, reverb, delay effects are great, and you can even customize your own distortion which can be handy. One big problem with this pedal is it sounds really 80's, maybe it's just my playing style but whenever I listen to recordings of myself with this pedal I sound like early Metallica or Racer X or something... argh, its sucky when your trying to do covers by Third Eye Blind or something lol. // 8

Reliability & Durability: Uh ok, this pedal is really durable hell, I even dropped it on concrete and I only got so much as a small dent, the adaptor however is another story. The adaptor is extremely flimsy and weak which is bad for playing live. It was inevitable that eventually it broke, and I spent about 6 months trying to get a new one... which makes this pedal very inadequate for playing live. I would only use it for recording... // 6

Overall Impression: This is a decent pedal, but I wouldn't buy it again. It's so much better than the standard 707 fx series that Zoom produced, but it's also much less practical for playing live. You would have to become a tap dancer to make use of all the effects that are offered here. I would rather buy a few single fx pedals now, but then, it's the best value I could have ever gotten for the price I was willing to spend. if you wanna play lead, theres plenty of tone, if you wanna play clean thers plenty of options too. It's certainly something you don't get bored with easy, and it's a lot of fun playing around... well thats all hope someone finds this helpful. // 8

GFX-8 Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 05, 2004

Ease of Use: Took me a little while to figure it out, but it's pretty straight forward and good. // 8

Sound: The sound is AMAZING. I don't care much for the preset distortions on there, BUT, they have 2 bands for a custom distortion, and the distortion I made for myself is so BALLS TO THE WALL METAL it hurts! It's got a great heavy punch to it, which is what I really like, and have used it to get my awesome sound. The acoustic sim on here is just totally awesome too. I had to tweak it a little, but it's got a great acoustic sound, very realistic, blows Boss's out of the water. Like the other guy said, some of the effects are kinda odd, and they are, but the basic stuff, such as distortion/chorus/reverb/delay, e.t.c., that stuff all works really well, and has a good sound. The wah was decent, nothing too spectacular, a good original cry-baby wah is a lot better though (or you could do what I did, and get the Dime cry-baby from hell, which is totally beast, and well worth the money). // 10

Reliability & Durability: Good, solid built, all metal chasis, just like the DigiTech, all the knobs turn fluently e.t.c. I've gigged with it multiple times, and I've had no trouble what so all with it. I think a knob fell off, but that was my dumbass drummers fault (haha, when in doubt, blame your drummer), but that was easily fixable. // 10

Overall Impression: Like I said earlier, I play balls to the wall metal. This does do a good job. One thing I really like is the LED display, vs. many other brands LCD display, or lack of display (and so on) so you can easily see what setting you're on on stage, not to mention, it's chromatic tuner, is easy to read and use on a dark stage e.t.c. It's got a pretty cool function, where you can go into a "sub-bank" if you will, within your current preset, so, you can go into a preset, and turn off the distortion if you want, or turn on/off the delay, chorus, reverb, wah, e.t.c. I'm thinking, if this does go haywire, for, whatever reason, I probably wouldn't get another one, simply, cause, Zoom is no longer made by the same people anymore, and frankly, their newer stuff is starting to suck. Their old stuff on the other hand (such as this) are totally beast, and if you can get your hands on one, go for it, other than that, eh. I might try using the amp distortion or whatever on my Randall RH200 if this crapped out on me, but, with that said, YES, this pedal has more gain and punch than Randall as far as distortion goes (it's straight up clean electric tone can't match Randall's though [or Fender's for that matter]) but the rest of the fx rock. // 8

More Zoom reviews rating category latest review
+ G1on 9.2 Guitar Effects 09/11/2014