MRS-8 Review

manufacturer: Zoom date: 01/21/2008 category: Guitar Effects
Zoom: MRS-8
The Zoom MRS-8 is a full-featured compact eight-track digital recorder with an incredible array of professional recording features including a fully programmable Drum/Bass Machine with touch-sensitive pads.
 Reliability & Durability: 6.5
 Ease of Use: 7.5
 7.4
 4.5
reviews (2) user comments vote for this gear:
MRS-8 Reviewed by: Oddfull46Dodger, on october 23, 2006

Purchased from: Samson Technologies Corp.

Ease of Use: Just experiment for a few days with this device and you can do some amazing things. I have just been using a 10-watt amp and the sound quality is awesome. The device itself comes with multiple editing patches. The manual is a bit complicated, but I think that is because there is so much you can do with this recording device. // 7

Sound: I am not exactly a professional musician since I basicaly just have a beginners setup. The guitar is an Indiana and the amp is made by Johnson. Some of the distortion settings give too much feedback, but I think that is to be expected. If you are using the correct equipment you should have no problems with sound effects quality. I have been able to get many of the sounds I hear from my favorite artists and am sure I can get even more with some practice. // 8

Reliability & Durability: I have run into one problem with dependability when it comes to switching sound effects from the mic to guitar while still on the same recording track, but other than that, this device seems quite dependable. I have not had any shows as of yet, but I hope to soon using this kickass product. // 6

Overall Impression: I have no particular style of music. I like to experiment and usually play whatever I feel at the time. I also own a keyboard synth. and looking into buying a midi output device. If money were no concern I would probably buy another device, but for the money, the MRS-8 is an amazing product. I think my favorite feature would have to be the guitar effects feature and send/return effects feature. // 8

MRS-8 Reviewed by: burntomato, on january 21, 2008

Ease of Use: The MRS-8 is not exactly a guitar effect, but there is a lot to it than meets the eye. Once you start using it you will keep finding out amazing things (the manual is like 300 pages thick plain text I don't think anyone would read it), the eight-track recorder comes with a lot of features, like the different effects and simulators waiting for you to explore, the touch sensitive drum pad, and over 500 different built-in drum rhythms and bass riffs. You can use batteries or plugged, and uses SD card for storage. // 8

Sound: Fender Tele and a Roland 15W amp. I can write a hundred pages on the sound of this portable multi-trak recording studio. To keep this short, I will concentrate on the effects that is built-in this Machine. Once you plug in your guitar, you can select a whole range of effects. First, you select the type of effect (eg. acoustic/bass sim, clean, distortion), then the specific built-in effect that you can edit (eg. f-tweed, JB style, full size) Once you have selected the specific effect you want to stick on, press the Edit button and you can edit the EQ, PAT, the effect and additional effects (eg. v chorus, auto wah, delay) You can also start from scratch and save your effect because if you edit an effect it will return to default once you re-select. Overall, I think the sound is good if you play it through a smaller amp, however I don't think it's clean enough. // 7

Reliability & Durability: I use it in my bedroom, since it's portable I don't really use it as a studio, however I record my early songs through it. The built-in mic on the machine is terrible, but the overall durability is pretty nice. Once you get the hang of it, you can rely on this thing really well. // 7

Overall Impression: It's a good Machine for whatever style you play. I think it's especially good if you are a lonely guitarist and you don't have a drumkit or a bass nearby the record all the layers (of course you can do that, but it comes with the wonderful range of different drum patterns from rock, blues to afro, and bass riffs). If I could choose another Zoom product, I would get a guitar pedal, since I use this multi-track recorder as guitar effect. What can I say overall, it's a very mysterious Machine that is waiting for you to discover all the different features inside. // 8

More Zoom reviews rating category latest review
+ G1XNext 8.3 Guitar Effects 06/09/2014