MS-50G Review

8.9
reviews (2) pictures (2) 8 comments vote for this gear:
MS-50G Reviewed by: RichieJovie, on february 14, 2013

Purchased from: GAK

Ease of Use: How good is this unit? Well I bought one and as my other bits of gear include Cornford Amps, Parker Fly's, Gibson, Fender, Taylor, I do prefer the finer instruments and equipment. I purchased the unit for 2 applications. Number 1, I tour abroad a fair bit and fly to the locations. Hand luggage sizes are such that most of my floorboards either exceed to sizes or weights allowed. So I wanted something compact. This unit is the size of one stomp box. The unit can also be run off 2 AA batteries. This is advantageous when flying to gigs. The second application I wanted it for was to fill in on my pedal board for some effects I don't use very often but would like to use on occasion. Auto wah, Cry, Pitch shifter, backwards delay and many more. This unit can be used as a multi fx or as a single stompbox and this flexibility was what I was looking for. // 8

Sound: Is it the best sounding fx ever? No. I have numerous Stomp boxes, and Line 6 HD500, Boss GT5, POD farm with all packs. I can get just about any tone I want when combined with the rest of my gear. However, I don't always want to use the Multi FX floor boards. I often want just my amp with a couple of stompboxes. I don't use a lot of fx, generally I have a bit of chorus, some delay and reverb. For some of the gigs I do I needed some pitch shift, some backwards delay, flanger, maybe some other occasionally used oddities. This unit has them you can just switch the pedal to be this effect and stick it on your pedal board. This flexibility for 77... You'd be mad not too. The sounds are more than adequate, you can have it as a single effect or as a upto 6 fx patch changing unit. Well I have a HD500 that cost 4-5 times more. IS it 4-5 times better? No. This unit is not quite as good, but it is not far behind. There are presets on there, they are pretty good. Making your own patches, requires the manual as it does take a bit of getting used to the way the various controls work differently in different modes. Once you get used to it, well it seems ok, but its not as intuitive as some pedals I have. Don't expect this to be the greatest Overdrive unit of all time, it's not, but it certainly does a good job. // 8

Reliability & Durability: The unit is pretty sturdy, seems like a good weight. It will be gigged hard as I play 2-3 times a week live and will use it in lessons, 4-5 hours a day. If it isn't robust enough Zoom and the retailer will know about it. All my gear needs to cut it live and be able to travel and take the knocks and bumps of working gear. I will be using this unit mostly in fx loops as chorus/delay type fx, but on some occasions the unit will be used as front end and so far the tones seem ok. Richie Kotzen seems to use the stuff and he is pretty good in my eyes. // 8

Overall Impression: I play all kinds of music, literally right across the board. I require this unit to be as transparent as possible, I also require it to be silent. Well I have tried it on a Cornford MK50H and a Peavey 6505 and I am not hearing any colouring to the tones. The unit has the Zoom ZNR noise reduction, I usually use an ISP Decimator so the bar is raised pretty high in terms of what I expect. Verdict, very good, it passed. The Peavey is very hissy and this cleaned and silenced it. Good work. So this unit will allow me to travel abroad and have most of my FX to hand available in one stomp box. It cost less than most of my other FX so I am very happy and would recommend this to anyone. It is a great convenient stomp box and would be great as a back up if your main floorboard packed up. Thank you Zoom, you did it again! Video from YouTube:

// 9

MS-50G Reviewed by: TeleNikon, on november 01, 2013

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: The Zoom Boss NS-2 may look like a classic stomp box/guitar effect pedal but it does not actually work like one. The footswitch does not turn the effect on and off like a classic/normal stomp box/ guitar effect pedal. The footswitch is used to do different things like cycle through patches and choose/select effects when programming patches. It can also go into a tuning mode when pressed. It's a little weird only because it looks so much like a classic Boss stomp box/guitar effect pedal. The preset patches are great but I like to tweak my own. Took me only a few minutes to wrap my head around the interface but once I did I can say I find it very easy to use. It's not only weird to have a footswitch that doesn't turn the unit on or off, it's also a little strange that there's not ANY off switch at all. To kill the effect you either have to remove the power supply or dial to an empty patch. // 6

Sound: The Zoom MS-50G is pretty miraculous. Does nearly everything. The amazing thing is that it's a huge collection of stomp boxes in one. The sound quality is clear, vivid and rich. The effects are high quality, very wide in variety, comprehensive, and I say that as a person who makes their living in sound design and audio production. The only thing about the Zoom MS-50G I don't like is the way the noise gate steps down in levels. It steps down about 6dB each time. Can hear 3 or 4 steps but this happens in less than a second so it's not that big a deal. You can hear the effect to a lesser degree if you've ever heard the trail-off of a Boss NS-2. It's acceptable of course because the phenomenon is not apparent if you're not listening too critically. But that's my only gripe. Otherwise the Zoom MS-50G is simply amazing. It's so inexpensive for the variety of FX. It has nearly everything you can think of in there. And unlike some of the reviews I read before I bought this unit, I find the Overdrive effects to be excellent. I mean just superb. And authentic. The amp models, too. Accurate and inspiring. Scrolling through the many cabinet choices for the different amps is highly satisfying. Final note on sound - I also play bass through this and it sounds absolutely great. There don't seem to be any limitations if using a bass though this unit. Performs magnificently. // 10

Reliability & Durability: You should have this thing for a while. Made like typical stomp boxes. The box is heavy metal (appropriate) and the knobs seems to be able to withstand rigorous use. Been messing around with it on a daily basis for the last 8 months and no problems at all. It's odd that the Zoom MS-50G doesn't come with an AC adapter. It's odd because even though the Zoom MS-50G looks like a classic stompbox and provides effects one would expect with such pedals (which don't usually come with an ac adapter), the unit is actually more like a rack FX unit which would usually come with a power cord of some kind. Anyway, I never use batteries so I had to order the adapter on eBay. // 10

Overall Impression: Blues over here. Rock blues, Memphis blues, Chicago blues, Texas blues, British blues, etc, etc... The Zoom Boss NS-2 dials it all in for me. I mean everything. Amps, cabinets, overdrive, compression, tremolo, noise gate, delay, reverb, all of it. Spring reverb is authentic, the choice of overdrives is staggering. And if I'm in the mood to explore different styles then everything I can think of is available in this box. I used to have a standard stomp box pedal set up that consisted of (not necessarily in this order): Overdrive, Noise Gate, compressor, delay, wah. Occasionally a tremolo or vibrato. What a pain in the ass to keep these pedals and their associated cables and wires tidy. Transporting them becomes a hassle too as we all know. This unit solves all of that. If consolidating and organizing your effects - even a simple setup like the one I used to have - is what you need to do, then forget the pedalboard and power supply and little connector cables because that's an even further expense. Sell 'em all and buy the Zoom Boss NS-2. Problem solved and money made. This one pedal unit is the same price as a single Boss pedal. That's incredible. // 10

More Zoom reviews rating category latest review
+ G3X 9.3 Guitar Effects 10/09/2014