Tri Metal TM-01 Review

manufacturer: Zoom date: 10/02/2006 category: Guitar Effects
Zoom: Tri Metal TM-01
The TM-01 Tri Metal uses its three stage cascading gain circuit to accentuate heavy phrases as it is best matched for lower register and 7-string guitar voicings. Power Chords maintain detail and leads soar with well defined distortion. Ergonomically designed rugged all metal box, gain, level and tone controls, a status LED and runs on a 9V battery AC Adaptor optional).
 Reliability & Durability: 8.8
 Ease of Use: 9.5
 7.8
 6.5
reviews (4) 5 comments vote for this gear:
Tri Metal TM-01 Reviewed by: TheConsequencer, on april 24, 2006

Ease of Use: This pedal is great, and has a great sound for what I play (Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, etc). It is very easy to tweak the settings for a good sound. The manual explained as much as I neded to know and helped me a little further. It has not been upgraded. // 9

Sound: I am using it with an ESP LTD F-2005 with a small Crate MX-15 amp. It is extremely noisy on all settings and raises the volume of the sound considerably. The effects (distortion) always sound great and there are a wide variety of sounds you can adjust to fit you. I can get a slightly different but very close sound to Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, or Shadows Fall and on a very low setting GN'R and other rock. The only sound you can get out of this pedal (that I know of) is distortion and you can get a ton of it in the highest quality from this. // 9

Reliability & Durability: Dependability is one issue with it, though my case may be unusual: it just stopped working after several new batteries were tried and I sent it back in for a replacement. During those months though, I never had any problem with it all. I would probably not use it live without a backup, but again, maybe just my paranoia about things breaking. // 7

Overall Impression: I play mainly thrash metal (Metallica), though some heavy metal (Iron Maiden) and hard rock (GN'R) it works great for all the aforementioned styles. I have been playing for about 8-9 months and my other gear is my one guitar, and ESP LTD F-2005 and my very weak, small amp a Crate MX-15. If I had only one thing that I know now about this product now to ask it would be "how many of these have been returned with issues before?" If it was stolen that person's head would be found a good distance from his body and if it was lost I would definitely get another one because it is a great product. My favorite thing about it is the wide range of distortion available (Beatles-Cannibal Corpse) my least favorite thing is that it sems to be unreliable (I had to try several times to make it start more than once) and the fact that it is a complete battery-hog (one full day of playing or less with a new 9-volt battery and it is out for sure). When I as at the music store I tried it out against several similarly priced dist. pedals (one with overdrive in its name) and it simply had the best tone of all of them. The only thing I wish it had is something that it cannot do: other effects, but besides that it is very good. // 8

Tri Metal TM-01 Reviewed by: False_God, on january 02, 2006

Purchased from: Local Music shop

Ease of Use: This is a sigle distortion pedal from Zoom, it's pretty new, not too sure but it's the best metal pedal out there, even better than the Metal Zone. Your sound can range from Pantera to Metallica and any other style. It's very easy to use the basic gain, treble, middle, range, bass and level, and I liked that alot. That was another problem with the Metal Zone highs and lows that I want distortion that takes a second to set up not 10 minutes! The manual is basic and good, It also gives you samples which are alright for beginners, basicly it tells you how to set up the pedal. // 10

Sound: I run it through a Hughes & Kettner amp and a Jackson Flying V and it sounds sweet! No matter how much gain and treble this baby is as quite as if it were switched off. The distortion is very strong and sharpe and any setting it sounds great! The sound can range from Pantera to any stage of Metallica young and old and alot more. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on this fully it seems very strong with the alluminium case. Also it's nice and heavy so it won't budge on stage. I would use it easily without a back-up though I'd bring batteries. // 10

Overall Impression: I play heavy metal to Death Metal and it's the perfect pedal for it, I used to own a MT-2 and I couldn't get as much variation off it. If this was stolen I hunt the bastard down and break his neck! I love everything from the design to the sound of the pedal! I compared it to Metal Zone and this won easily! I wish that the pedal would would light up for playing in dark venues! But that's me. // 10

Tri Metal TM-01 Reviewed by: newman13, on may 04, 2006

Ease of Use: It sounded pretty good as soon as I plugged it in, not a whole lot of tweaking required to get a good tone. I eventually settled on everything set on 6 or so and ended up with a reasonable facsimile of Slayer tone. Basically just twist the knobs 'till you like what you hear. // 10

Sound: I'm currently using it with a Schecter Omen 6 and a Crate GX1200 half stack (yes I know my amp is pretty much junk but it's what I'm stuck with at the moment). It's by far the quietest pedal I have ever used. The pedal I compared it to is the Boss MT-2 Metal Zone(which I also own), and the Zoom just blows it away. It always sounds great, I haven't gotten a bad sound out of it yet (except for the time my guitar fell over while still pluggeed in, but I don't think that counts). I listen to a lot of Chimaira, Lamb Of God, Killswitch Engage, and Trivium and the Tri-Metal does a pretty good job getting those tones. I wouldn't suggest it for classic rock-type sounds but if you roll back the gain it'll work in a pinch. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I would definitely depend on this pedal. I've owned it for about 3 years now and have yet to have any reliability issues. One note though, it eats batteries like they're going out of style so I would suggest getting an AC adapter. I would and have used this pedal on a gig without a backup. // 9

Overall Impression: I play metal (no sub-genres here, either it's metal or it's not)and it matches my playing style perfectly. I've been playing for about 11 years now and I wish this pedal existed when I first started. At the moment I own a Schecter Omen 6, a Crate half-stack, about half a dozen various distortion pedals, and the Tri-Metal. If it were stolen I would track down the perpetrator and beat them to death with the very same pedal they stole(it's pretty durable). I love the tone, the only thing I don't like about it is the relatively small Switch, which would be easy to miss on a dark stage (I have). I compared it to the Boss MT-2 and the Tri-Metal is the only dedicated distortion pedal I have yet heard that tops it. The only thing I wish it had is a bigger switch. // 9

Tri Metal TM-01 Reviewed by: Shreddin 4 Life, on october 02, 2006

Purchased from: Kitts Music

Ease of Use: Very simple pedal to use. Just turn the knobs around like most distortions. However, getting the desired sound can prove to be a little bit of a task considering that there are 4 EQ controls: treble, bass & 2 mid range frequencies; all of which have a distinctive affect on the tonal range of the entire tone, which is unlike a few pedals I've worked with before. But again, once you get used to the format, it becomes a breeze to scroll through desired tones over and over again. // 9

Sound: I use humbucker-pickup-equiped guitars with this one all the time & I gotta tell you, the results never fail to impress. It's not very noisy at all (surprisingly) on pretty much all the settings, and most of the settings are that way. Furthermore, with the settings that I usually use, they really seem to put a real kick into the overall sound, regardless of exterior effects that I place under or even on top of this distortion, so it always cuts through! The Tri-Metal is an excellent, in fact, immaculate rhythym distortion pedal. The tones I can get seem to range from a blusey-rock style crunch/overdrive all the way to a searing death metal-esque over-the-top distortion! But unfortunately, I personally would not recommend this pedal for lead-playing tones. Maybe it's just me, but that's just the way I feel about lead playing with the Tri-Metal. However, I still give it great props (and recommendation) for it's effects on rhythym playing. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This pedal has quite a hardware casing. If it's not metallic, then it's definitely something wickedly durable because it looks like it can handle (and has handled) quite a beating, so you can be sure that this would be a great pedal to gig with. However, I would suggest using it in conjunction with other pedals & an adapter to make it that much more noiseless for live peformance situations. // 9

Overall Impression: I play a lot of metal (all kinds of it) and this pedal doesn't disappoint in the least; with the exception of using it for leads and solos and whatnot (in my opinion of course). But nonetheless, this pedal really cuts through and should really be checked out by general metal fans. I also own a DigiTech Death Metal, and have a lot of experience with the Boss Metal Zone, and this pedal is a pretty good match. Some tones are in between, so I wouldn't necessarily say that each can be classified as better than others, so it's just a matter of taste in the end. All I can say is that this pedal is great. In my honest opinion, this should be a great competitor in the world of distortions along with the other 2 I mentioned above, but due to its lack of knowledge to most guitarists & the fact that it's overshadowed by others like the Metal Zone & Death Metal (again mentioned above), it doesn't seem to be. Personally, I found this pedal used in a privately-owned shop and have never seen it anywhere else, so if it were ever stolen, you can be sure that I'd be one unhappy metalhead. // 8

More Zoom reviews rating category latest review
+ G1on 9.2 Guitar Effects 09/11/2014