USA (Providence), May 10, 2006 Review

artist: 30 seconds to mars date: 05/25/2006 category: live concerts
30 seconds to mars: USA (Providence), May 10, 2006
The audience was completely into the band the entire night. There wasn't a dull spot in the entire show. Each band member gave 110%.
 Perfomance: 9.3
 9.3
 8.7
reviews (4) 2 comments vote for this concert:
USA (Providence), May 10, 2006 Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 25, 2006

Sound: It's nice to see a rock band fronted by a film actor that doesn't totally suck. Jared Leto has one of the best voices in alternative rock right now. Thankfully, all of the primal screams heard on the album come across pitch perfectly (something that some singers have trouble pulling off). He didn't miss a single note. He also played a neat-looking modified Gibson Firebird with the 30STM logo on the body. His style is beefed up and runs through every effect I can think of, but they all blend together nicely and create an interesting-sounding distortion that was new to me. The rest of the band was excellent, too. The lead guitarist (Jared's brother) played a standard Les Paul. The bassist/keybordist threw in some downright insane sounds effects and provided a sturdy, tight bass line. The drummer is not only the most intimidating man I've ever seen with his shirt off, but he's quite talented, as well. Think Danny Carey lite, with some very nice improvisations. The acoustics of the club (converted from an old theater from the 30's, so there's still a mezzanine and classical paintings towards the back on the ceiling) are absolutely perfect. I've never been to a show there that didn't sound amazingly clear, so it's easy to catch a screw-up and I'm happy to report that I didn't catch one. // 10

Perfomance: The audience was completely into the band the entire night. Whether or not this was attributed to Jared Leto's celebrity is in question, but either way, Jared is a hell of a front man. He's incredibly energetic, very engaging, and very friendly to the crowd (the whole band stayed after the show and signed autographs for everyone there). There wasn't a dull spot in the entire show. Each band member gave 110% and I haven't seen this much raw, kinetic, franetic energy since the hayday of At the Drive-In. I honstely, for the life of me, can't remember the setlist at all, but here are a few highlights: The Kill - their newest single. Played about third or fourth and really pushed the crowd into overdrive. The Fantasy - which he dedicated to anyone Who dares to be creative or different. During the breakdown, he mixed in a litle from NIN's infamous chorus to "Closer." Attack - the natural choice to close out the set. This song is much more intense live. There wasn't a single person in the audience that didn't know the words and a lot of crowd participation was given. The design on the stage was fairly elaborate (a large hanging banner and flags on either side). This was, by far, no contest, the most intense light show I have ever seen at a concert. The strobes and the pans were second to none. There were moments where I was too paralyzed by what I was seeing to even move. It was a very overwhelming experience (in a good way). There were other moments where my heart was pounding in my chest by the events taking place on stage. All in all, an incredibly performance in every sense of the word. // 10

Overall Impression: Providence, Rhode Island, USA, Lupos Heartbreak Hotel, May 10th 2006. For a paltry $15, you got four bands and close to five hours worth of music. The opening band was the Red Jumpsuit Aparatus (who was decent with some good stage presence), Who my brother apropriately described as "about as emo as it gets." Keating was up next. The lead singer was extremely greatful to even be out there, which I found endearing. I think his constant thanking of the crowd may have turned off some (kind of shows a lack of confidence on his part). But it was all unnecessary because they put on a good show and were just fine. Then came Men, Women, and Children, one of the more entertaining opening bands I've seen. They sound kind of like Franz Ferdinand meets the Velvet Underground. I won't spoil anything about it because they will be doing some solo dates this summer, as well as opening up for Brand New, but I highly, highly recommend sticking around for them. I would personally love to see 30 Seconds to Mars headline a show in a much larger venue (Lupos is sadly restrictive in its size, but it adds intamacy). Everything they do just screams arena and if they manage to continue with their success (fingers crossed), they will turn into one of the best live acts out there, but they're already well on their way to that. For the money, it's impossible to beat a show like this. // 10

USA (Providence), May 10, 2006 Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 10, 2010

Sound: I've been listening to 30 seconds to mars for about a year and a half. Their concert was the best I've ever been to. Jared Leto started the show (after Mute math) behind a sheet and started singing "Escape." After he sang escape, "Night of the Hunter" started playing and the sheet dropped, revealing Jared in a pink mohawk and skinny jeans. The quality of the whole concert was amazing, especially when he started doing an Acoustic version of Bad Romance. // 10

Perfomance: The audience was packed with very little bubble space, especially after Jared saying three times during the concert, "Everyone take three giant steps forward" and as soon as they started, everyone ran up. They played Escape, night of the hunter, This is War, Closer to the Edge, Hurricane, and Kings and Queens as the very last song. Other songs were The Kill, Attack, From Yesterday, and R-Evolve. The other songs were songs I've never heard before. When they were about to play Kings and Queens, about 30 people (Including me) got to go on stage and sing with him. After the show, he looked me, yes. ME, in the eyes and gave me his guitar pick! I still have it. // 8

Overall Impression: The concert was held at Sokol Auditorium in Omaha NE. For me and my friend to go, it was barely 100 dollars. I definitly gotten what I paid for. The only thing I hated was the guys who thought they were all badass and started stripping drunk girls. But I had a decent crowd around me and I loved them all for helping me crowdsurf for the very first time. That's how I got to go on stage =). If they come again, which Jared said they would, I am definitly going. // 9

USA (Providence), May 10, 2006 Reviewed by: Coca30stmMCRFan, on september 09, 2011

Sound: Jared Leto was pretty impressive in the fact that he almost seemed to reach new levels in his voice. The music itself sounded flawless, almost as in right off the album and I would even go to say that it was more powerful live. I really enjoyed when Shannon came out when he used the meditation bowl at the beginning of the song L490 and played on his own it was really cute but the volumne could have been a little lower. // 8

Perfomance: They put on quite a show. Amongst the various moved Jared did such as his signature guitar spin displayed in the song a beautiful lie, he also actually got down off the stage and while singing was running through the crowd. The band itself had large stage presence and used a ton of lighting effects and really tried to include the audience and get in touch with them on a more personal level. At the end of the show, the band signed pretty much anything you handed them and you got to say a few words to them. // 10

Overall Impression: Is aw them 4/20 in Boston at the House of Blues. They had three openers: first up was a band by the name of street drum corps, who did basically what their name said and drummed outta their minds on not only drums but other things like barels and was well liked by the crowd. Next up was the band Neon Trees, and they were VERY interesting. The singer came out in a bright Orange rain coat, bright white boots and a neon pink mohawk swinging the microphone as though it was a lasso. I was impressed to see their drummer was also doing back-up vocals, and they put on a good show. The last one was Mute Math, who were very laid back but played great. At one point the guy playing the piano did a small headstand on the piano while playing it. I loved almost all of the show although I wish 30 Seconds to Mars had done more singing and less of letting the crowd sing hte songs. The tickets were about $30 if I remember corretcly and it was so worth it. I think the most unforgettable moment was after Jared ran through the crowd back to the stage he said "someone ripped my d**k off can I please have that back?" // 9

Comments