USA (Eugene), December 4, 2009 Review

artist: 3 inches of blood date: 03/19/2010 category: live concerts
3 inches of blood: USA (Eugene), December 4, 2009
First and formost, let me say this was an awesome show. I was extremely excited for the show. 3IOB wasn't the only good part of it.
 Perfomance: 9
 7.1
 8.7
 5.5
reviews (3) 9 comments vote for this concert:
USA (Eugene), December 4, 2009 Reviewed by: thrashmonkey, on march 19, 2010

Sound: First and formost, let me say this was an awesome show. I had learned about 3IOB a few months before this, and as soon as I went to their website, I learned they were coming to my town. Needless to say, I was extremely excited for the show. 3IOB wasn't the only good part of it. One of the openers, Saviours, was kind of a mix between NWOBHM and doom/stoner metal (by that term I mean no offense whatsoever, they were great) and the other was Holy Grail, who were about reviving the classic metal of Judas Priest and Iron Maiden. Now for the actual show. Cam Pipes' singing was excellent as usual, but Jamie Hooper wasn't there, sadly, as all 3IOB fans will know. However, I will say that Justin Hagberg did a great job with the screams. 3IOB and Holy Grail were mixed perfectly. Saviours' bass was too high, but their music is very bass-driven so who cares? Shane Clark and Justin Hagberg were excellent. The overall volume was good and loud, the way a metal show should be. // 8

Perfomance: I was right in front and center, and about five feet away from Cam Pipes (and all the other singers.) 3IOB played this set list (to the best of my memory): 01. Battles and Brotherhood: the first track off the new album (Here Waits thy Doom) and an excellent opener. One of my favorite 3IOB songs of all time. 02. Silent Killer: off the new album as well, another good one. 03. Demon's Blade: off of Fire Up the Blades, great song for early in the setlist. 04. Wykydtron: a 3IOB classic, but it's sort of old, so I was a little surprised that they played it. 05. At The Foot Of The Great Glacier: off the new album, decent song but not my favorite. 06. All of Them Witches: one of the best songs off the new album, played it without the pointless intro found on the album version. 07. Trial Of Champions: good song, not their best. 08. Execution Tank: never a huge fan of this song, but they played it well. 09. Call of the Hammer: a short blaster off their new album. Got the audience's blood moving again after Execution Tank. 10. Swordmaster: love this song, one of my all time favorites of 3IOB and was happily surprised when Shane and Justin started playing the opening riff. 11. Night Marauders: the closer of their set and an excellent choice to include in the setlist. After this they left the stage and we all loved their set, but we were shocked that they didn't play Deadly Sinners. Then they came back out for the encore 12. A cover of classic hard rock band Bachman-Turner Overdrive's song Not Fragile. I'm not sure how many people knew the song, but it was awesome to hear. 13. The moment we all had been waiting for...Deadly Sinners! Cam got the crowd to sing along. 14. Goatrider's Horde: the true set-closer and a fantastic way to end the show. I wasn't too familiar with the opening bands, Saviours and Holy Grail, but they both earned at least one new fan with two well-chosen covers. Saviours covered Fire in the Sky by Saxon and Holy Grail played one of my all-time favorite metal songs, Fast as a Shark by Accept. The singer said, "You guys ready for some fast heavy metal? Fast...as a shark!" The guitarist instantly started playing the classic opening riff, and it was one of my favorite concert moments of all time. They basically just had a 3 Inches of Blood banner behind them. // 9

Overall Impression: The show was on December 4, 2009, at the WOW Hall in Eugene, Oregon, which holds about 300 people tops. They got a band from Salem to open as well, called Dusk's Embrace. They were a melodic death metal band, but they were pretty good. Then Holy Grail took the stage, and they were great. Really skilled guitarists and a decent singer. Saviours were good, except their performance was hindered by the fact that their singer was drunk. The lead guitarist and drummer were very skilled, though. Then, 3 Inches of Bloo hit the stage, and they were amazing. I paid $12.00 for the ticket, and for a show of that quality, I could easily have paid 20. If they ever come to town again, I will be there for sure. // 9

Comments