Australia (Blacktown), February 22, 2009 Review

alice in chains: Australia (Blacktown), February 22, 2009
 Perfomance: 9
 9.5
review (1) 1 comment vote for this concert:
Australia (Blacktown), February 22, 2009 Reviewed by: stefanomassimo, on march 17, 2010

Sound: This is a review of Alice In Chains when they played the Soundwaves gigs throughout Australia. This was the Sydney gig. If you're unfamiliar with Alice in Chains, they are a four piece band, with no unusual instruments. William Duvall has a great live voice. Whilst the comparisons to Layne Staley will never go away, I hope he will eventually be recognised for his own talents. He managed to capture the essence of the songs, without the deep resonance that Layne flavoured the songs with. Having said that, I relistened to AIC - Unplugged after the gig, and William did half the songs better than Layne did that night! Hmmm, sacrilicous... The sound was pretty good for a festival gig, which are normally muted or bouncy, but it probably helped that I was right down front and centre, about 6 metres from the stage. Jerry Cantrell is an amazingly soulful guitarist, he can't just play the guitar, he PLAYS guitar, and I can't recall him missing a note. Just flowed through the set and seemed amazed at the crowd they had pulled (biggest 1 of the day as far as I know). This was a showpiece of all their older stuff, but next time they promised us new stuff, so here's hoping it's up to speed! // 9

Perfomance: The crowd loved the gig. It was late afternoon and the temperature was going down and it was definitely a slower paced gig than anything else playing (NIN, Lacuna Coil, Lamb Of God, etc), but they seemed to find themselves amongst the metal heads and goths, and everybody accepted them :) Awww. Whoa, went all hippy there, sorry. I remember most of the songs they played, here goes; 01. Again: good solid opener 02. Man In A Box: this song had the whole crowd pumped 03. Them Bones: and this set them off!! 04. Dam That River: how many ways can i say good? 05. Rain When I Die: this song always makes me think of Layne and wonder... 06. Angry Chair: 07. Down In A Hole: this song started a little horribly, with William and Jerry playing the 2 leads into it without any rythm guitar, didn't work for me :( 08. Nutshell: this was my favourite song of the night! Started with both guitars, with Mike Inez filling out the song nicely and was a well executed song, with Jerry doodling after the solo to finish... just brilliant. 09. No Excuses: is it just me, or Sean Kinney an amazing drummer? That song must have one of the hardest percussive parts, but Sean just smoked it. To the butt! 10. ????: I know the song, it's off Facelift, but I can't remember the name, humming it now, it was good to see the old skool fans in the crowd, as well as the young'uns who must have sourced it earlier! 11. Would?: this was the penultimate finish, the crowd was jumping! 12. Rooster: this song recieved a roaring Ovation at the end, and was a perfect finish to their gig. However, what would have been better, was if I was standing about 4 metres back to my right. Then I would have stood a chance of catching Sean Kinney's drum skin (autographed) when he launched it into the crowd. Can't win 'em all:( // 9

Overall Impression: This was a festival that included these bands, Bloodhound Gang, Nine Inch Nails, Lamb Of God and Lacuna Coil amongst others. I loved the bands that I went to see, but I hated the 2 hour queue just to get into the place. In 35 degree heat. And the clouds of smoke that seemed a lot sweeter than cigarettes, I do remember being hungry... I digress, my girlfriend started to have an asthma attack, so we jumped to the head of the queue for first aid treatment. Big Shout Out To The St John Ambos, Amazing People. Long story short, she got better and we had a fantastic day, except for a friend of mine who had slight detour at the gates, we were feeling for you R! The ticket was 100 dollars, and was so worth the money. 20 international bands, better value than the big day out! And I went to the Alice In Chains venue gig (3 days later) at the Enmore and thought the sound was worse and was jammed into a smaller place. This one was the keeper! // 9

Comments