UK (Bristol), November 25, 2005 Review

7.7
 6.3
review (1) user comments vote for this concert:
UK (Bristol), November 25, 2005 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 28, 2005

Sound: The setlist focussed mainly on songs sung by Dan Adriano, probably due to Matt losing his voice at the start of the tour. However, Matt seems to have recovered and both vocalists did extremely well. I think that their vocals have improved since last time I saw them, two years ago. I'm unsure of the instruments used but Matt tends to favour Gibson Les Pauls. The band had an additional guitarist on stage during their perfomance to help out with the more complicated riffs whilst Skiba was singing. The sound quality at the front was pretty poor as the vocals were hard to distinguish, but towards the back of the arena it was much better. // 8

Perfomance: The performance was brilliant and I definatly enjoyed it. I can't remeber excatly what songs they played or in which order but I will list them as I remember them: 01. Private Eye 02. Warbrain 03. The Poison 04. Settle For Satin 05. Clavicle 06. Nose Over Tail/Blue In The Face - Matt sung the last part of Blue In The Face (And all that followed fell like mercury to hell) during the guitar part at the end of Nose Over Tail) 07. Prevent This Tragedy - this was sung dedicated to a Blood Pact member who had requested it as it wasn't on the orginal setlist. 08. This Could Be Love - Matt got the crowd to sing "Love For Fire" after he sung "This could be love." Healso changed the words to "I got a book of matches, I got a can of kerosene, I got some bright ideas about Bristol and me." 09. We've Had Enough 10. She Took Him To The Lake 11. Sadie Encore: 12. Time To Waste 13. Radio That's all I remember but there were a few more I think. The decoration was typical of Alkaline Trio's morbid style. The background started off as a dark picture of an angel, then changed to the band's heart/skull logo. Derek's drums were decorated with the star logo. // 10

Overall Impression: The show was in Bristol Carling Academy, Bristol, The UK, on Friday November 25th. The opening act were Sunshine (I think) who were probably quite good but the vocals were drowned out entirely by the guitars and the crowd were generally quite unsympathetic to them. The next act was Asian Man, of Asian Man Recods, Mike Park. He was a really good singer, seemed like a genuinly nice guy and played an anti-racist video as he sung, which went down pretty well. The thing I loved most about the show was that I got to meet Matt 'cause I showed up 5 hours early and waited around, but other than that I liked the part where he slipped the Blue In The Face lyrics into Nose Over Tail, as they are two of my favourite songs. What I hated was the crowd, as they insisted on pushing forward and crushing everyone so I had to move away from the front to actually breathe. Still, the show itself was faultless. Except I wanted them to play Queen Of Pain or '97 and they didn't. The most unforgettable part had to be meeting Matt before the show. He's my hero and I'll never forget it. And I'll definatly be at their next gig when they tour next. // 9

More Alkaline Trio reviews rating latest review