Live At The Theater For The Living Arts, March 21, 2013 Review

artist: alt-j date: 03/28/2013 category: live concerts
alt-j: Live At The Theater For The Living Arts, March 21, 2013
I saw Alt-J in Philadelphia, PA - USA at The Theater for the Living Arts on 3/21/13.
 Perfomance: 6
 3.2
 6.3
review (1) pictures (1) user comments vote for this concert:
Live At The Theater For The Living Arts, March 21, 2013 Reviewed by: Alice2Mudgarden, on march 28, 2013

Sound: Alt-J is new band out of the UK and their unusual sound was interesting enough for me to a buy a cheap ticket to one of their concerts in a big city. The singer for Alt-J has a unique/weird voice. One of my friends compared him to Adam Sandler. I think he sounds like a southerner with a helium voice. But I really liked it on "Fitzpleasure" and "Breezeblocks", and unsurprisingly, I think those were the best songs played on this night. "Something Good" was a cool jam, but they kept everything pretty straight the entire time; they really didn't make any of the songs louder or faster from the album. They were a four piece with a drummer, keyboardist, guitarists, and lead singer. The keyboardist and other guitarist sang back-up vocals, and they captured their sound really well but a little too well, I thought. I'm a little disappointed I didn't hear any longer solos, extended jams, or cool sonic detours from the album's formula. A handful of their songs ("Dissolve Me") have noticeable acapella sections, and those were a little awkward in a concert with everyone talking and yelling. "Fitzpleasure" was pretty awesome though. // 7

Perfomance: I was in the pit and there were a lot of girls there as well. They all seemed to be having fun, so that was a plus. Everybody was singing along with the songs, but I couldn't really tell what the singer was actually saying. People were dancing but it was pretty toned down most of the time. I thought the audience was a lot more hyped than the band was. The set was "Intro", "Interlude I", "Tessellate", "Something Good", "Buffalo", "Dissolve Me", "Fitzpleasure", "Matilda", "Interlude II", "Bloodflood", "Ms", "Breezeblocks", "Hand-Made", and "Taro". They didn't interact with the fans too much except for saying a few thank you's and how good it was to be there, and that was mainly done by the keyboardist. The lights and backdrop design were cool. It was bright and colorful visually, but overall the performance was a little too structured and predictable for my tastes. // 6

Overall Impression: I saw them in Philadelphia, PA - USA at The Theater for the Living Arts on 3/21/13. They didn't announce the opener, but they were pretty good; two girls on keyboards with a guitarist and drummer. I even thought they rocked harder than Alt-J as they seemed to get into the music more. The doors opened at 8pm, the opening band came on at 9pm, and Alt-J came on a little after 10pm and played for almost an hour. I kinda expected the set to be longer, but they played most of their only album, "An Awesome Wave", and two B-sides and that was it. I wouldn't have minded a cover song or something; although I don't even know what song they would cover as a band that would sound any good. The crowd seemed to be a lot more energetic and in the zone than the band playing. The show was put on by a radio station, and a representative came out before the show and kinda talked about the radio station's promotion, but I guess that's just part of the business. I suppose I was hoping for a show as unique as their sound, but it was pretty step-by-step with no transitions into other songs or anything. The ticket was only 20$, so I'd say it was worth the money. There weren't really any unforgettable moments except for me drinking four 24oz beers in five minutes. I didn't know I could still drink like that. It was a good show, but not a great show. // 6

Comments