Canada (Toronto), May 16, 2008 Review

4.2
 8.3
review (1) user comments vote for this concert:
Canada (Toronto), May 16, 2008 Reviewed by: teddytheturtle, on july 16, 2008

Sound: The overall sound can be summed up in four words: just like the record. I know they use midi so their entire live sound is basically computerized, but it was slightly disappointing. They used the same instruments they normally use; two guitars, bass, and drums. The singer was just as talented as she is in the studio. Basically, it sounded great, but it lacked the rawness that metal is supposed to have. // 7

Perfomance: Amazing. Just amazing. I don't know what else to say. I didn't recognize all of the songs, but they definitely played "My Apocalypse," "Nemesis," and some new ones from their latest album. They tend to throw in random solos between songs. The show is obviously well rehearsed, but that doesn't leave much room for audience interaction (which consequently there wasn't much of). They used a lot of crazy lighting and smoke machines. It was cool. The singer was wearing a shirt that says "Canada you f--king rock," which made me feel special. If I wasn't already in love with the band, this performance would have done it for me without a doubt. If they just involved the audience a little more, I'd give them a perfect 10 for this part. // 9

Overall Impression: This was Friday May 16, 2008, at The Opera House in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. The opening acts were Firewind, Divine Heresy, and Dark Tranquility. I didn't get to see Divine Heresy because I somehow ended up with my face covered in blood half-way through Firewind, but the other two bands played some great sets. Service charges included, I paid about $40 for my ticket. The show sold out a few days in advance, and I was in desperate need of cash at the time, so as much as I wanted to see the show, if someone offered me $200 for my ticket, I would have sold it and went home. I'm glad I didn't find a buyer because it was worth more than that! The one thing I really loved was just the overall feeling of unity in a crowd of 850 metal heads, especially when they played "Nemesis" (my favourite AE song). But I do hate that it doesn't really sound "live" in a sense. Not so much that I would suspect they're not actually playing Live, but enough to take away some of the value of the overall experience. But I will definitely be at their next Toronto show. // 9

More Arch Enemy reviews rating latest review