UK (Liverpool), March 22, 2008 Review

9.7
 9.3
review (1) user comments vote for this concert:
UK (Liverpool), March 22, 2008 Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 27, 2008

Sound: In my time I've been to too many shows to mention, and with every show I've always come home with something to fault it. I didn't expect much different from this show. But by the power of greyskull was I wrong! This was literally the best live show I've ever been to. It surpassed everything that I had set as pinnacles in my gigging life. The first Unholy Alliance, Metallica at Download in 2006, The Black Crusade. Neither one of them can live up to this. As I Lay Dying were on top form, tighter than your little sister and more energy than your average lightbulb. Phil Sgrosso and Nick Hipa have written some of the most delicately accurate riffs in their time, and no band I have ever seen has been able to pull their own music off so well as these guys. Jordan Mancino is by far the best live drummer alive. His performance on record is so technical, so easy to mess up in front of an audience. But, you guessed it, not once did this man mess up. It's kind of an injustice that each member of this band has opportunities to show off their ability at some point, whereas the basswork has always taken a back seat in As I Lay Dying's music, often sticking solely to root notes or mirroring the guitar tracks. Nevertheless, Josh Gilbert uses his supposed lack of technical prowess to his advantage, becoming the most energetic member of all five of them on this night. His clean vocals Shine through evangelically, note perfect and with every bit of screaming emotion as on record. And Tim Lambesis? The quintessential frontman. Always interacting with the crowd, and truly giving us our moneys worth. And, you must have guessed by now, screaming to his hearts content exactly as it is on record. I have tried with every ounce of strength within me to find something wrong with this peformance. The only thing I can complain about is the sound being a little fuzzy at times, sometimes Tim's vocals sounded like an annoying buzz. Other than that, faultless. // 9

Perfomance: The audience were surprisingly the least rowdiest of any crowd I've been in. But there was circle pits aplenty, and some top notch hardcore dancing too. The set was predominantly dedicated to their latest record 'An Ocean Between Us', opening with the epic couplet of 'Seperation' and 'Nothing Left'. Throughout the rest of the night we were treated to other future classics from the new record, 'Forsaken', 'Within Destruction' and the title track to name but a few, tied in with old favourites such as 'Forever', '94 Hours', 'Through Struggle', 'The Darkest Nights' and 'Confined'. As long as I Live, I will never forget Tim screaming the chorus from 'Nothing Left' right up in my face. That was quite a sight. That plus him coming right up onto the barrier and struggling to get back to the stage (we wouldn't let go). Oh, and talking to Nick about his Ultimate Warrior shirt as he left the stage, funny stuff. // 9

Overall Impression: Sadly, Liverpool has generally been neglected of quality metal gigs over the years. We've considered ourselves privileged to have the likes of Trivium, Chimaira and Velvet Revolver visit us recently. If anythings going to keep us going until the next big Liverpool metal show, it's this night. Seraph Impaled and Glamour of the Kill, two very popular unsigned UK bands, opened the show, and despite playing to an almost lifeless crowd, they all played with remarkable enthusiasm and tightness. Due to the time curfue in the Barfly, we're only treated to an hour long set, which was a bit of a letdown on my behalf, I'm normally only just getting going after the first hour! But, I digress, this was the epitome of a great metal show. Ten of our finest english pounds I paid for my ticket, and after this show, if they come back and it's more expensive (which it really should be) I will pay up no questions asked. A truly unforgettable performance. // 10

More As I Lay Dying reviews rating latest review