Canada (Toronto). Sep 14, 2011 Review

4.9
 9.7
review (1) user comments vote for this concert:
Canada (Toronto). Sep 14, 2011 Reviewed by: s12k17, on september 19, 2011

Sound: I saw Sevenfold last year at Uproar and was stoked when I heard they were coming back to Toronto. Last time they were great so my expectations were pretty high. To start the show, the volume on the lead guitar and vocals seemed a bit low but was immediately fixed after the first song. M.Shadows sang an amazing show. He's really starting to get his screams back and it reflected in a couple of songs. The instruments they all used were what was expected. The Syn Custom and the Zacky Custom. Johny had the same bass and Arin was ripping it up. All in all, great quality of sound with the one early low volume. // 9

Perfomance: They had a massive deathbat that Arin played from the mouth of. It shot fire in every direction you could think of and the lighting was spectacular. They really upped their stage presence in my opinion. The sound of the gunshot almost made me fall over a couple of times. Songs: Nightmare- The obvious opener, but it never seems to get old. Crowd was going absolutely insane for it but my only complaint was that the sound was a bit low. They really showed of what their deathbat can do early and it really warmed up the crowd with pyro.\I was really surprised to see Johny doing some background vocals. Cool opener /9 Chapter Four- I never thought I'd ever hear this song live. It is a personal favorite and was played to perfection. This turned the crowd on simply because it's just never heard live. No really effects for it though. It's an experience that I may never get to see again. /9 Welcome to the Family- Shadows asks if anyone is at their first ever A7X concert and explains how we're all just one big screwed up family. Arin was a standout in this song. Its good to see him fitting in so well. /9 Almost Easy- This is possibly my favorite song. I love the repeat after me thing, "I'm not in F--king sane!". The background vocals were sweet here and they came together perfectly. /10 Seize the Day- I was disappointed last year when they didn't play this so I was pumped when it came on. They talked about the Rev for a bit and then played. So heartfelt. Watching Syn play those sweeps at the end made my jaw drop. /10 Afterlife- They jumped straight into this. Watching Syn play this solo with so much ease was inspiring. A great song, Rev's vocals were great as well. /9 MIA- This is a song I would have never expected to be played live. I was so happy and it was played to perfection. My only complaint is that it takes up alot of setlist time with a couple of boring sections. The solo was amazing and I hope I can see this one again someday. /8 God Hates Us- This is the song all the serious metalheads loved. Shadows screams were better than expected. /9 A Little Piece of Heaven- This is one of the most interesting songs I've ever seen live before. The little speech Shadows gave about how it is a love song was hilarious. The security guards looked so confused when he gave the explanation about what the song is about. The only bad thing about the song is the lack of instrument playing there is. It made for an awesome sing-along and the actions Syn did on the side were pretty sweet. /10 Bat Country- Shadows said they played this because of how pissed we were when they didn't play it last year. Nothing overly special about it though, kind of like listening to the CD on this one. /7.5 Unholy Confession- Definatley the best closing song they have. It was cool when before it ended they threw a bit of the song "Crossroads" in there. It worked out pretty well. /10 Their performance was amazing. It is really cool to see how much they've matured (for lack of a better word) on stage. So professional but without sacrificing the fun factor. Only other song I really wanted to hear was Not Ready to Die. // 10

Overall Impression: Avenged Sevenfold just proved they are one of the elite bands in the world today. There was some serious talent playing that night with Escape the Fate, Bullet for My Valentine, Seether and Three Days Grace and they outshone all of them. They played in one of my favorite venues, the Molson Canadian Ampitheatre (september 14, 2011, toronto, canada). I payed $100CDN for my pit ticket and was on the bar at the front of the stage. I was on the right so I really got to see everything Syn did. I noticed how much he specifically interacted with a few of us at the front. If we gave a thumbs up for example, he'd smile and do the same. There was a lot of highlights of the show like the Miss Uproar contest, free jagger and rockstar, and the awesome music but a couple take the cake, catching Syn's pick and at the end when Shadows picked up the setlist I pointed at him and he pointed back and gave me the setlist. It was an unforgettable experience. Waiting 5 hours for that spot was so worth it. Next time they come to Toronto, you can find me in line even earlier. // 10

More Avenged Sevenfold reviews rating latest review