USA (Santa Monica), April 6, 2007 Review

artist: bad religion date: 04/19/2007 category: live concerts
bad religion: USA (Santa Monica), April 6, 2007
The overall sound was fairly distorted, but what do you expect from a punk band. It was very loud, but still enjoyable.
 Perfomance: 10
review (1) user comments vote for this concert:
USA (Santa Monica), April 6, 2007 Reviewed by: RHCPFreak, on april 19, 2007

Sound: As a semi-famous band, Bad Religion is bound to many songs that are better than most popular bands. Along with amazing songs, they are going to bring along an amazing, energy packed live show. This is exactly what went down at Santa Monica, on April 6, 2007. The two opening bands that started it off were The Briggs, an up-and-coming band that promises to have some success in the future. Next up was Tiger Army, a more skilled and more experienced band (although I personally most likely enjoy The Briggs more). Their bassist uses an old fashioned bass, which I though very unusual and cool. Finally, out came Bad Religion. Greg Graffin announced that they would play the songs in chronological order, which they never do. The overall sound was fairly distorted, but what do you expect from a punk band. It was very loud, but still enjoyable, and I think everybody loved it. Overall, the music turned out very well, with Brian, Brett, and (Greg) Hetson's guitars pumping out energetic riffs, Greg Graffin using his excellent lyrics and voice (good for a punk singer: no freaking screaming), Jay playing bass like mad as usual, and Brooks being one of the greatest drummers of all time, the band's instrument's complement each other. // 10

Perfomance: The audience definitely seemed like they enjoyed the show. The show sold out within three minutes, so expectations were pretty high. They exceeded these expectations in many ways. First of all, I'll list off the songs and give a brief explanation of each. 01. Politics - I do not completely remember, but I am 90% sure that this is right. An excellent early song, typical music coming from the more hardcore side of Bad Religion. 02. We're Only Gonna Die - one of my favorite songs off of Bad Religion's first album released so many years ago. The guitar riff and meaningful lyrics Drive the song. 03. F--k Armageddon... This Is Hell - a very interesting song. The lyrics are not as heavy as the title suggests them to be, although the chorus definitely is. Another one of my favorite early songs. 04. Along The Way - probably my favorite song of Bad Religion's first five years. One of the more melodic songs of early Bad Religion. That little guitar solo just can't be any better. 05. Do What You Want - if this song were just 7 seconds shorter, I would name the greatest under one minute song ever. However, it isn't, but it still qualifies as one of the greatest punk songs ever. 06. Suffer - the title track off "Suffer". One of my favorite lyrical songs from Bad Religion, mainly for the chorus, "Door leading to the gift of hope renewed, eternity for you. The masses of humanity have always had to suffer." 07. You - ranked as one of the greatest punk songs ever, it definitely qualifies as a fan favorite. This was once my favorite, and I still love it. 08. No Control - also once my favorite. It still qualifies for the top ten. 09. 21st Century Digital Boy ("Against The Grain" version) - one of Bad Religion's best known songs. It shows a slower tune than most Bad Religion. This recently became one of my favorites. 10. Modern Man - at the beggining, that little guitar riff is one of my favorites. A great quickie song, perfect to listen to if you want to listen to music, but are pinched for time. 11. Generator - my very favorite song by Bad Religion, tied with a couple that will be mentioned here. They played the festival version, which is the type where they play it very slowly at first, and then speed up to normal speed. 12. Atomic Garden - one of their best songs. The only song on "Generator" that challenges the title track for that album. 13. Recipe For Hate - once my favorite, a very meaningful song. A great opening riff accompanies the lyrics. 14. American Jesus - this song was voted the greatest song ever by Bad Religion fans. This was one of the best Live songs. 15. Infected - undeniably Bad Religion's most famous song. I have loved this song for a long time, and I think I always will. 16. Stranger Than Fiction - I hate to admit, this was once my favorite song, and I still like it alot. Most Bad Religion fans consider it the worst title track, but I don't. 17. Come Join Us - ties "Generator" for my favorite song by Bad Religion. One of Greg Hetson's only solos, and I think it is amazing. 18. Supersonic - one of my favorite riffs by Bad Religion is at the beggining of this song. This is a very energetic song, that I like a lot. 19. Prove It - a lesser known song by Bad Religion. it's lyrics are very meaningful, and this is one of the best songs of Brett's return album. 20. Can't Stop It - a very fun song to listen to. It's also one of the ones that the crowd participates in. 21. Let Them Eat War - one of my favorite songs by BR. I love that riff, and the rapping part, although I hate rap. 22. Los Angeles Is Burning - possibly ties "Infected" for most well known song. It is a very simple song that shows Bad Religion's perfect mix of punk/melodic music Encore: 23. Heroes And Martyrs (off "New Maps Of Hell") - the crowd was losing hope for an Encore, considering Graffin wanted to go in chronological order. But he came out and said that they weren't going to,, but "Then I thought, we do have a new album coming out soon. I was thinking it was to powerful for youg guys, and you're not ready yet, but you've convinced me. But do me a favor, guys in the first five rows, watch out." It turned out to be a very powerful song. And I have ot get this out. I was one of the first three-thousand people to hear this song. 24. Sorrow - Greg Graffin hated to break the chronological order, but wanted "A good old fashioned Bad Religion sing-a-long." "Sorrow" being one of their most popular songs, and definitely softest, it was perfect. Every song had the quality of the album, but so much more powerful. // 10

Overall Impression: This concert was held in Santa Monica, California, U.S.A. on April 6, 2007. The openers were The Briggs and Tiger Army, two very good opening bands. I loved almost everything about the show, most of all the facts that they played all of their greatest songs, and played "Heroes and Martyrs", the new song. The only thing I could complain about is how Tiger Army played for an excessively long time, and also got their own one song Encore. The tickets cost me $60 each off eBay, double the original price. It was despite high prices, a great show. It was General Admission seating, and I sat in the closest row without going in the pit (there's a reason why I couldn't, but I won't get into that).The most unforgettable moment of the show was the time they played "Heroes and Martyrs", but every moment was unforgettable. I would love to see them Live again the next time they drop by Los Angeles. I just hope Greg Hetson finds his awesome guitar that was stolen! // 10

More Bad Religion reviews rating latest review