USA (Iowa City), October 20, 2007 Review

8.8
 9.3
 8.2
review (1) 3 comments vote for this concert:
USA (Iowa City), October 20, 2007 Reviewed by: Patricircadia, on october 24, 2007

Sound: When BTBAM took the stage, I could tell they were slightly annoyed with the time restriction that comes with an all ages show being hosted by a bar. After all, they were the headliner that night, and had just released their 64 minute opus "Colors." Being limited to a 45 minute set is a bit of an insult. To add to their frustration, the house PA was exceptionally trebly. During sound check guitarist Dustie Waring commented "The level is fine, but it sounds like a Metal Zone." I couldn't help but grin, myself being a former user of the aforementioned stomp box, but currently an addict of tube amp distortion. Despite these setbacks, BTBAM sounded phenomenal. I didn't think it was possible to make that much treble sound so heavy, yet they found a way. Every note was crystal clear, from the piano and synth laden opener "Foam Born: (a) The Backtrack" to the climactic sweeping solo of the epic closer "White Walls." // 8

Perfomance: BTBAM certainly did not let time restriction or sub par PA hinder their playing in any way. I'm sure that playing an album from start to finish without stopping is no easy task (especially one as dynamic and technically demanding as Colors). BTBAM appeared to be right at home doing just that. Singer Tommy Rogers easily shifted back and forth from tranquilizing melody to frantic scream. He even pulled off the album's banjo and accordion parts on his synth. Although guitarists Paul Wagonner and Dustie Waring don't move around much on stage, they somehow find a way to exude energy and confidence. The rhythm section, bassist Dan Briggs and drummer Blake Richardson, play exceptionally well together and add an element that is uncommon in the sometimes stale world of metal. // 10

Overall Impression: This was not my first BTBAM show and I certainly hope it will not be my last. This band never ceases to impress me. They play flawlessly as a group, and if you analyzed them each individually you would find that they all possess extraordinary ability in their respective positions. They have every right to be cocky, yet are far from it. Tommy confirmed this by posing for pictures with my wife and I. Going to this show was a great way to spend a Saturday night, and hopefully BTBAM will roll through Iowa again in support of Colors. This show was at the Picador in Iowa City, IA on 10/20/07. // 10

More Between The Buried And Me reviews rating latest review
+ Live at Revolution Live, Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA, March 21, 2014 7.2 03/28/2014
Comments