UK (Leicester), February 7, 2008 Review

artist: biffy clyro date: 02/18/2008 category: live concerts
biffy clyro: UK (Leicester), February 7, 2008
Despite the mainly Puzzle setlist, the band were fantastic as ever.
 Perfomance: 9
 6.6
 8.7
 4.5
review (1) 1 comment vote for this concert:
UK (Leicester), February 7, 2008 Reviewed by: Thom Yorke, on february 18, 2008

Sound: The venue for this, the fourth of five small concerts on this, Biffy's first 2008 tour was Leicester University which is a small intimate venue and the sort that Biffy Clyro are best in the sound. Unlike at many of the larger venues that the band have experienced, when supporting bands from Linkin Park to The Rolling Stones, the sound here tonight is excellent. The quality of the sound is top notch as soon as the band come onstage, something that seems to have become an increasing rarity at gigs these days. Singer Simon Neil is an excellent Live singer just as he is in the studio although he does occasionally tend to scream a bit more Live. Tonight however his vocals are perfect all the way through (I missed the screaming though a bit to be honest). I'm always amazed by Neil's guitar playing when I see them live, the band play very complex music and for him to sing and play these guitar parts at the same time shows talent: he mostly uses a red Fender '60s Telecaster (at least that's what it always looks like), ocasionally using a different Fender and an acoustic later in the show. James Johnston's bass parts are perfectly attuned and he uses mostly a Fender Precision Bass. I have no idea what drummer Ben was playing because I know nothing about drums. // 8

Perfomance: Biffy have one of the most die hard fanbases of any band in the world and all of them here tonight enjoyed themselves, however many of the fans at the show had obviously only heard the most recent of the band's albums and therefore were not familiar with the band's best work. I think this also caused the band to play a setlist that had few of their Stranger tracks in it. I think this is a shame but I am confident they will play some of these fantastic songs (e.g. Bodies In Flight, Toys Toys Toys Choke Toys Toys Toys) again soon. The setlist is roughly in the right order. 01. Saturday Superhouse - not the best opener to a gig really but a good performance none the less. 02. Who's Gotta Match? - the new single, not one of Biffy's best but decent enough live. 03. Justboy - the crowd, or at least those Who knew the song, sang the first verse with Simon, as always which is always a special moment. 04. A Whole Child Ago - one of the new tracks, not exactly classic Biffy but not bad. 05. The Conversation Is... - I don't particularly like the studio version of this track but I enjoyed it more live. 06. Joy Discovery Invention - one of the band's earliest songs and delivered with it's usual flourish of brilliance. 07. All The Way Down (Prologue & Chapter 1) - the only song they played from their best album - is always a highlight with it's anthemic chorus. 08. Living Is A Problem Because Everything Dies - I don't know how they play this song live every night, incredible feat of musicianship if you ask me. 09. Get F--ked Stud - again not one of their best but I like it better live. 10. Love Has A Diameter - probably the weakest Biffy track on record, the worst song of the gig. 11. Christopher's River - I can't believe they played this! I was in such shock I could barely sing along. 12. Wave Upon Wave Upon Wave - they edited the screaming bits out which was a shame but a good Live track which has a good kick to it. 13. There's No Such Thing As A Jaggy Snake - the best song of the evening, the Puzzle only era fans looked like Aphex Twin had just beamed into the building with the screamo introduction, loved it as ever. 14. Now I'm Everyone - one of the more complex new songs and is usually pretty good live but tonight lacked a little punch. 15. 9/15ths - this might have been before Now I'm Everyone but I'm not sure, this song doesn't work without strings and elaborate choirs and stuff so they shouldn't really play it live. Encore: 16. Machines - simon just came on and did this acoustically, very well, and walked off again. 17. Glitter And Trauma - using the electronic intro the band came on with Ben starting his drum part first and then Simon and James joining him. 18. As Dust Dances - similar to All The Way Down but not as good. 19. 57 - possibly the best song ever written but tonight wasn't its best performance, still a highlight. Overall, despite the mainly Puzzle setlist, the band were fantastic as ever and I'm still dedicated to the Biffy cause. // 9

Overall Impression: The gig took place at Leicester University, Leicester, UK. The gig was opened by Twin Atlantic Who are a really great young band from Glasgow, if you like Biffy Clyro and Sucioperro, try downloading their EP 'A Guidance From Colour', it's worth it. The second support band I later found out were called Lovvers and were truly abysmal, the singer couldn't sing and I could barely hear him over the dreadful guitar playing, they got booed off. The ticket was only 15 and I would happily pay twice that to see Biffy Clyro. I go to their gigs whenever I can. // 9

More Biffy Clyro reviews rating latest review