UK (Norwich), February 19, 2005 Review

9.2
 8.3
review (1) 1 comment vote for this concert:
UK (Norwich), February 19, 2005 Reviewed by: Biggs, on february 23, 2005

Sound: Biffy Clyro were headlining with Ghostride and Hell Is For Heroes as support at the UEA. I turned up a quarter of the way through Ghostride's set. From what I heard, the guitars sounded pretty poor, but, overall, they weren't too bad except a bit samey. "Heard one song, heard 'em all." Hell Is For Heroes were very impressive. A band I'm not really into, but on the night were very good. The sound was very impressive showed the intensity that, at times, I don't believe their actual records do. It was strange how their guitars sounded fine after Ghostride maybe Ghostride messed up on settings etc. Biffy Clyro came on and started playing Glitter And Trauma - perfect intro song. The sound was amazing. Loud but amazing. Seriously sounded better than the actual record. Vocals were spot on from every member of the group. Guitars used were mainly Fenders I think (nice Telecaster), but they must have modified the pick ups and everything. Sounded brilliant. // 10

Perfomance: The performances from every group were good, Biffy were amazing. As soon as the stage art appeared, bit by bit, the crowd started chanting 'Biffy! Biffy!' And as soon as Glitter And Trauma started, you just knew it was gonna be special. The mosh was amazing, some crowdsurfing too (although it meant some people got kicked out). I stayed out the mosh and just watched the band, everybody around me was singing along. It was superb. During the set, Simon Neil (guitar/vocals) stagedived really got the crowd going. He also later said, "we love playing in Norwich. You guys never dissapoint." And neither do they. If anything, Biffy actually look alot like Nirvana when perofrming live, and, although this is a strange thing to say, if Simon had blond hair he would look exactly like Kurt Cobain. The passion and energy in their songs are also reminiscent of the passion that Nirvana would put in. Every song was played perfectly, and there was also a nice encore, with a very nice solo acoustic version of 'The Atrocity.' The set list overall was (possibly not in precise order): 01. Glitter And Trauma 02. The Go-Slow 03. Some Kind Of Wizard 04. Justboy 05. Liberate The Illiterate 06. Pause It And Turn It Up 07. Joy. Discovery. Invention 08. Eradicate The Doubt 09. My Recovery Injection 10. The Ideal Height 11. Wave Upon Wave Upon Wave 12. Only One Word Comes To Mind 13. Questions And Answers 14. Kids From The Kibble 15. No Such Crasp/Jaggy 16. The Atrocity (acoustic) 17. Toys, Toys, Toys 18. 57 My favourites had to be the links between 'Only One Word...' and 'Questions And Answers', and also the 'Eradicate The Doubt' and 'My Recovery Injection.' 'Some Kind Of Wizard' was also great as was the whole gig. // 10

Overall Impression: Biffy Clyro played at the UEA, Norwich, UK on Saturday 19th February, 2005, with Ghostride and Hell Is For Heroes as support. Ghostride, from what I saw, seemd OK. It would be unfair for me to judge them, though seeing as I missed some of their set. Speaking to some of my friends that were there to see all of their set saw mixed reception. Some thought they were very good, others thought they were awful. Hell Is For Heroes were very impressive. I don't normally like their stuff, but I thouroughly enjoyed their set. Biffy Clyro were amazing. The set was quite long as well, which was good. They played every song perfectly, spoke to the crowd, stage dived, they were truly brilliant. For 10, I really cannot complain. For 20 I couldn't have complained either more than their worth are Biffy. The UEA (LCR bit) is quite a small venue, which isn't unexpected as it's a uni, but the more intimate feel made the gig that little bit more special. Even where I was, which was just beind the moshing, on the steps, it was as if I could touch the band. Very nice place to go see a very good band. When they come back to Norwich, be it at the UEA or Waterfront, I will be booking tickets straight away, and I recommend to anyone reading this that wherever you live, if Biffy play there, go. You will not be dissapointed. After this truly great gig, me and my friend left the venue, where the snow had settled. It was a nice end to a truly great night. // 10

More Biffy Clyro reviews rating latest review