Canada (Vancouver), October 30, 2007 Review

billy joel: Canada (Vancouver), October 30, 2007
 Perfomance: 9
 4.5
review (1) user comments vote for this concert:
Canada (Vancouver), October 30, 2007 Reviewed by: unregistered, on november 13, 2007

Sound: Oh my god! Billy Joel, possibly one of the greatest songwriters of the last thirty five years put on one of the best shows I've ever seen the other night. The instrumentation was exactly as it is on record, with the band playing a variety of interesting licks and riffs to liven up the standard arrangements. The sound was decent and got better as the show progressed, the kick drum was too loud and the bass was barely noticed at the beginning. // 8

Perfomance: The audience was surprisingly un-lively. It took a good five songs to get this Vancouver crowd up and moving. I can't remember every song they played off the top of my head; but I'll do the best I can. Everybody Loves You Now - a moderately unknown number that I was really happy to hear Live. The drumming was superb. Zanzibar - the highlight of the first section of the set. An extended trumpet solo really livened up the audience and Billy's piano playing was bang on. Innocent Man - I was a bit surprised that they would include this song, but it came out okay. Not one of my favourite though so my opinion might be a bit biased. Big Shot - Billy picked up a guitar for this one, he got the job done on rhythm while the lead player took a very long solo. The guitar solo was a bit boring after awhile but the gestures being made my Billy kept it very fun to watch. It's Still Rock N' Roll To Me - highlight of the non-piano part of the show. Billy made Roger Daltrey and Steven Tyler look like amateurs with his mic stand twirling and throwing. The Longest Time - got the crowd fingersnapping along with this doo-wop fueled song. Bass really came through punchy and strong. We Didn't Start The Fire - brought the house down! There wasn't a body in the arena that wasn't jumping and clapping in time. Scenes From An Italian Restaurant - the first Encore, aside from being my favourite Joel tune, Italian Restaurant came across as a well balanced example of 1970s rock n' roll. All the sax parts were handled beautifully. My favourite part of the concert by far. Piano Man - the final Encore, and fittingly the song that got the entire stadium singing along. He didn't even sing the last chorus, he let us spectators carry the song away. Aside from Billy Joel doing a great job, I have to include the appearance of longtime roadie Chainsaw. A fat, balding, New Yorker Who came out halfway through the show and joined the band for a rip-roaring version of AC/DC's Highway To Hell. He wasn't half bad handling the lead vocal while Billy followed close behind on guitar, it was a nice bit shot of fun to start the second half. The stage itself looked like the same one that the Police used on their last stop in Vancouver but instead of the 'in-the-round' style it had a curtain at the back, closing off the back of the arena. // 9

Overall Impression: The show took place on October, 30, 2007 in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada at General Motors Place. There was no opening act and Billy started right on time at 8:15 and played for a full two hours. I loved almost every minute of the show, except for the inclusion of Innocent Man which as I said earlier isn't my favourite Joel track, I just think it's a bit weak compared to the others on the setlist. Tickets for my section were about $150CDN although I'm not entirely sure, the show was easily worth the money, especially when the performer shows up on time and plays for a full two hours. I'm never going to forget seeing the man that I've been waiting to see my entire life. Great show Billy Joel. // 10

Comments