UK (Birmingham), November 30, 2004 Review

Perfomance: 7
 9.2
 8.3
review (1) user comments vote for this concert:
UK (Birmingham), November 30, 2004 Reviewed by: Ben Middleton, on january 14, 2010

Sound: The sound of this concert was fantastic. The big NEC arena in which it was held gave fantastic acoustics. The guitar sound was great, with Tom DeLonge's intricate rack system, incorporating Mesa Boogie and Marshall amplifiers with his custom Gibson ES-333 with the Dirty Fingers pickup absolutely screaming out the catchy melodies. Tom used some great effects in the show as well to set the mood with different songs. The singing was once again, fantastic, considering it was Blink-182 who are known for their tempremental live voices. Mark's bass guitar with the two Ampeg amplifiers was flawless and the same goes for the fantastic drumming of Travis Barker. The whole sound was well rounded and suited the hall very well. More recent concerts (in 2009) have been less good acoustically, with a poor guitar sound. // 9

Perfomance: I enjoyed the concert immensely (as you would if you were such a massive fan as I was at the time). However, I was slightly disappointed with the lack of jokes that you come to expect at a Blink 182 concert. In hindsight, they probably had an argument beforehand but we were nonethewiser at the time so it didn't dampen our spirits. All the songs were played at an increased speed, which is fantastic. It really got the concert moving and allowed for more songs to be played which was great. Around three quarters of the way through the show, Mark requested that we use our mobile phones (in replacement of lighters), to celebrate the modern age. Everybody joined in and it was good fun to see such a vast amount of both lighters and mobile phones. Tom also got the audience to participate when singing "Go" in a specific way he described. That was great fun also. // 7

Overall Impression: The show was held at the Birmingham NEC in the UK on the 30th of November 2004. The support acts were The Kinison and Sugarcult, who were both absolutely fantastic and really got the crowd going. The crowd were a bit unsure of The Kinison at first, but everybody got into it about halfway through their set. As I mentioned, I loved the performance and the sound of the concert but it was a shame that we didn't get a few more jokes and pratting about. That is what we have come to expect from Blink 182 after all and it's why we love them. The ticket cost 30, which was quite expensive at the time, but totally worth it. I will definetely see Blink 182 again, hopefully in 2010. However, I know they won't be as good because the live performances I have seen from 2009 are poor. This, however, won't deter me from the concert. // 9

More Blink 182 reviews rating latest review