Australia (Brisbane), August 14, 2007
sattelitecity, on january 21, 2008 0 of 0 people found this review helpful
Sound: As he only toured Australia recently, in 2007, Dylan had already aged considerably and his voice had detiriorated accordingly to a gritty rasp, yet he still managed to entertain with his unique singing style. He mainly played his strat, but later in the night switched to his keyboard. The sound quality was extremely good, every nuance and note could be heard, though the same can not be said for his music. // 4
Perfomance: Living up to his reputation, Dylan once again managed to deliver a terrible performance. Never speaking a word besides the introduction of his band, he played an extremely short set list, his face hidden by a wide brimmed hat the entire time, and he then performed a boring encore. There were few visual effects, besides red and blue washes over the stage and backdrop, both of which were entirely undecorated, making for an eye sore, and as Dylan didn't say anything, it was hard for him to create anything fun or special.
01. Cat's In The Well - blues/slighty country influence, relatively good performance considesering the rest of the night.
02. It Ain't Me, Babe - country influence, extremely unclear vocals.
03. Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues - country influence.
04. Lay, Lady, Lay - slow, country version, Dylan now seemed to settle into a mood where he ignored the wants and even presence of the audience.
05. Rollin' And Tumblin'
06. When The Deal Goes Down - Dylan's voice now seemed to settle down to a barely tollerable standard.
07. High Water
08. The Lonesome Death Of Hattie Carroll
09. Honest With Me
10. Spirit On The Water
11. Highway 61 Revisited - great rendition of this dylan classic.
12. Tangled Up In Blue - reinvented the lyrics a great deal, mainly to poor effect.
13. Nettie Moore
14. Summer Days
15. Ballad Of A Thin Man - best performance of the night, didn't try to coutry-it-up, as he did with nearly every other song.
16. Thunder On The Mountain - extremely tired performance by Dylan.
17. All Along The Watchtower - exhilerating, fast-paced version which saw the crowd get fired up for the first time that night, albeit too late. // 4
Overall Impression: Australia, Brisbane, Boondal, Brisbane Entertainment Centre, August 14th 2007. And Irish rock group, The Frames, opened for Dylan, and created a highly entertaining performance, both through their showmanship and music, I would almost say their performance topped Dylan's. There was little to love about this show, and I loathed Dylan's interpretation of the music, he ruined songs such as 'Lay Lady Lay' for me. The ticket cost about $120 and although the performance was not worth the money, I'd still pay the same amount and go again, because it was worth it to see one of my idols and earliest loves, one of my greatest influences, on stage. No matter how he performed, it was still the legendary Bob Dylan. // 3