Canada (Toronto), July 20, 2010 Review

9.3
 9.5
review (1) 1 comment vote for this concert:
Canada (Toronto), July 20, 2010 Reviewed by: cocunut200, on july 27, 2010

Sound: As I found out at this show, over 20 years after their first album, Jon, Richie and the rest of the boys have still got it. After a surprisngly good opening set from Kid Rock, Bon Jovi came out swinging, performing about half of "Blood On Blood" before moving into the biggest single of their latest album, "We Weren't Born To Follow". Throughout the whole show, everything sounded perfect. Jon has a powerful voice that can still power through songs like "You Give Love A Bad Name", but can also go into a low, raspy whisper that made the girls next to me nearly fall over. Richie was exceptional, especially in his solos, and throughout the night used no less than 15 different guitars. The rest of the band sounded great as well, and I was surprised by how far Tico has progressed as a drummer from the band's early days. Overall, they sounded as great as they always have, and showed every ounce of their enormous talent. One of the best-sounding shows I've ever been too. // 10

Perfomance: Of course, it's well known by now that Jon Bon Jovi is one of the most entertaining frontmen in the world. Despite not having the energy he once had, he was still great, getting the crowd going with his contagious enthusiasm that made everyone smile. Another highlight for me was when, during a break in "Bad Medicine", they invited Kid Rock back on stage and performed a cover of "Old Time Rock 'N' Roll" before launching back into the original song. There was a huge screen behind the band, and the video effects shown on it were absolutely mind-blasting. However, I was a little disappointed in the lack of originality. Jon sang every song the same way as always, it felt a bit like watching a live DVD. Richie made up for this a little bit, showing just how much of a rockstar he is with soaring solos all while posing with his guitar, making it feel as though you were looking at a true legend. A lack of any pyrotechnics, fireworks, props or anything along those lines was also a let down. It was still a very good performance, but I think Bon Jovi is capable of more. // 8

Overall Impression: As mentioned, I saw Bon Jovi at the Rogers Centre in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, on July 20, 2010. Kid Rock opened, and although he didn't play for long, he was exceptional, a self-proclaimed "badass" that didn't stop moving for his whole set. When Bon Jovi took the stage, the arena absolutely erupted, which you'd expect for a band this size. I was had floor seats, and was surrounded by gorgeous girls who were dancing all night, which was definitely a bonus. There were more than enough slow songs to keep those ladies entertained, but there was also lots of up-tempo hard rock that made me jump around. I danced, I sang, I stole a slice of pizza, and I had the best time I could've asked for considering I paid $120 for my ticket. It was worth every penny. // 9

More Bon Jovi reviews rating latest review