USA (San Francisco), February 14, 2008 Review

Perfomance: 10
 9.7
 9.3
review (1) 14 comments vote for this concert:
USA (San Francisco), February 14, 2008 Reviewed by: petrucci_owns86, on february 16, 2008

Sound: Buckethead came on at 10:13 PM, wearing a black trench coat, and his trademark mask and a plain white bucket. He was handed his custom all-white Gibson Les Paul, and almost immediately jumped into "Night of the Slunk". He had no drummer or bassist with HIM; instead, he used a program that had backing tracks for all of the songs he was planning on playing, which ran through an on-stage amp. Overall, the sound quality was awesome for a very small venue, but my only complaint was that there was too much bass frequency. // 9

Perfomance: Buckethead's performance was incredible. The audience was really getting into the show. There was a mosh pit on some of his heavier songs, and many people were dancing. I really enjoyed his performance, because he was totally on his game and made virtually no mistakes, and also pulled out all the stops technique-wise. I was able to identify the majority of the songs he played. The highlights of the show were: "Night of the Slunk", which he opened the show with; "Jordan", which came very early in his set, and included a modified version of the solo from Guitar Hero II; "Soothsayer", my favorite song of the show, it included an even longer guitar solo than the original, and the "Park Theme" Encore, which also had a solo extended to about three times it's original length. I also really enjoyed some of the songs I hadn't heard before. Buckethead also played two tracks from his new album, Decoding the Tomb of Bansheebot; those tracks were "Ghost Host" and "Asylum of Glass". About five songs into the show, Buckethead put his guitar away and did the robot and twirled his nunchaku for about two minutes. He then launched into "Arc of the Pendulum". Towards the end of the show, he got out his Home Depot bucket and threw toys to the audience members. After that, HIM and his opening act, beatboxer Kid Beyond, had about a fifteen minute jam session, which was very intriguing. There weren't many visual effects, and the only stage decorations were Buckethead's amps. // 10

Overall Impression: This show was played at the Great American Music Hall, in San Francisco, CA, on February 14th, 2008. Buckethead's opener was a local beatboxer named Kid Beyond. Buckethead played a jam with HIM late in the show. There was really nothing to hate about the actual show, but I got annoyed at how small the venue was, and the fact that my dad and I had to stand for over three hours because we didn't reserve seats. The ticket was only 25 dollars, and it was totally worth it. I was actually very surprised that I was paying so little to see my favorite artist. The most unforgettable moment in the show was when Buckethead played an extended version of Soothsayer, which almost brought me to tears. Next time Buckethead plays a show around my area, I will definately go to it. // 9

Comments