USA (Chicago), October 1, 2005 Review

artist: coheed and cambria date: 10/03/2005 category: live concerts
coheed and cambria: USA (Chicago), October 1, 2005
The performance was, in a word, stellar. They had pictures of some of the characters of the graphic novel on display inside of frames that changed colors from time to time.
 Perfomance: 10
 9.7
 9.3
review (1) user comments vote for this concert:
USA (Chicago), October 1, 2005 Reviewed by: rjc_15, on october 03, 2005

Sound: Claudio was very on tonight. I have heard them do live shows before, and a lot of the time his voice would cut out in the middle of the song. Tonight, however, he managed to keep up with the music perfectly. The sound was pretty clear, although the bass seemed to overpower the sound of the guitars at times. Either way, it sounded simply fantastic. // 10

Perfomance: The performance was, in a word, stellar. Let me go into the specifics about the songs and stage. The song list was as follow, however a few may be out of order: 01. Intro: Keeping The Blade - awesome addition to the performance and a great way to start the show. 02. Always And Never - a beautifully sung acoustic song, which Claudio played on the 12 string neck on his double-neck Gibson. 03. Welcome Home - was simply powerful and the solos at the end were pulled off marvelously. 04. Ten Speed (Of God's Blood And Burial) - at first, it sounded like they slowed this down a bit, but it sounded very good anyway. 05. Delirium Trigger - what could I say? A Coheed classic and a crowd favorite. Very well done. 06. A Favor House Atlantic - another widely known crowd favorite, I enjoyed the amount of crowd participation that was involved in this song. 07. Wake Up - this is a slower song, played on a Taylor acoustic-electric. It was a nice little filler in between songs, but I think they could have made a better choice. 08. Blood Red Summer - another song with a lot of crowd participation. Everyone in the theatre was going "Whoa-oh, whoa-oh-o-whoa-oh" along with Claudio. 09. Apollo I: The Writing Writer - I didn't really expect them to play this song live, but I'm glad they did. It had a great energy about it. 10. Everything Evil - this shocked me the most, since the keyboard player (Dave Parker) started playing the interlude to Willing Well I: Fuel For the Feeding End. Then they jumped into this song, which was a nice surprise. Encore: 11. In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth: 3 - I was really greatful they played this song, I was hoping that they would. Just like I knew they would, they pulled it off without a hitch. Truly the highlight of the evening. 12. Willing Well Iv: The Final Cut - the best way to close the show in my opinion. After the quick verse and chorus section, Claudio and Travis went head-to-head on guitar solos, which I thought was very rewarding. The set was something a bit new to me. They had pictures of some of the characters of the graphic novel on display inside of frames that changed colors from time to time. However, the greatest thing about the stage setup was the massive guillotine, complete with wings, that stood ominously over the stage. Then at the end of Final Cut, they pulled the rope, bringing down the blade. Definitely an impressive setup. // 10

Overall Impression: This took place at the Riviera Theatre in Chicago, October 1st 2005. Opening for Coheed And Cambria was MeWithoutYou, Dredg, and The Blood Brothers. I loved Dredg and Coheed And Cambria, but MeWithoutYou didn't really surprise me at all. I couldn't get into that at all. The Blood Brothers, while they had a powerful performance, didn't excite me in the least. Everything sounded the same, and by the end of the second song, I wanted them off the stage. Tickets were 20 dollars, and in my opinion, it was worth every penny. The one thing that will stick in my mind about this show was definitely In Keeping Secrets Of Silent Earth: 3. When I first got into this band, a friend showed me the Live At The Starland Ballroom DVD, and played that song. So it was a way of telling me I have pretty much come full circle. If I had the cash, sure, I would go to their next gig. So long as I didn't have to drive for 6 hours again, that was the worst part of the entire ordeal. // 10

More Coheed And Cambria reviews rating latest review