USA (Houston), October 6, 2010 Review

7.3
 6.5
review (1) 3 comments vote for this concert:
USA (Houston), October 6, 2010 Reviewed by: Amuro Jay, on october 11, 2010

Sound: If you know anything about Conducting From The Grave, you know that their music is fast, technical, heavy, and melodic. The melodic death/metalcore quintet from Sacramento know how to write music that can best be described as instrumental acrobatics. More importantly, they have the skill to be able to perfectly replicate their works live. CFTG recently acquired a new singer, so for many, this tour (Time To Bleed) will be the first time for many to hear the new vocalist perform live. It was my first time seeing them, and they did not disappoint. I personally think that their new vocalist is a better fit for this band (no disrespect to Lou, he's great in his own right). Unfortunately, the quality of the sound was not up to par with some of the other bands (I would later learn that they were experiencing some technical difficulties). It seemed like the guitars weren't high enough in the mix, so you could only really hear them when they hit the high notes, otherwise it was rather muddy. It's a shame though, because I could see how ridiculous some of the riffs they played were, but the non musicians in the crowd probably wouldn't be able to fully appreciate what was going on. On the bright side, though, the sound improved as the set went on, and they played tons of new material. And I'll tell you, that's music I would pay for. // 7

Perfomance: The thing that I love about CFTG's performance is that they kept it metal. I know I'm gonna take a lot of crap for saying that about a tour where Suicide Silence is headlining, but honestly, you should have seen these guys play. I haven't seen that much synchronized headbanging/windmills since I watched old live videos of Scandinavian metal bands on YouTube. As I said, they played a lot of new songs. Surprisingly, there were kids who had already learned the words to these new songs. They also played some classics, like Marching Towards Extinction. The crowds in Houston are very dull. If you're not headlining, chances are there's gonna be a lot of kids standing around with their arms crossed. Nobody wants to be the first to mosh. Like when I saw BTBAM back in January. No love for the opening acts. But it was a little different with CFTG. There were those alongside me at the front of the crowd who were loyal fans excited to see CFTG play, but I was a bit disappointed at first to see no action in the pit. But about halfway through their set Houston woke up and threw down. Mosh pits broke out, and I do believe there was even a circle pit. Pretty rad for an opening band. The crowd warmed up to them pretty well. // 8

Overall Impression: Conducting From The Grave were opening for Suicide Silence's No Time To Bleed tour at the House of Blues in Houston, on October 6, 2010. I'm no big fan of Suicide Silence (or MyChildren MyBride, for that matter) but I figured any tour with Conducting From The Grave, Molotov Solution, and The Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza is definitely worth twenty bucks. Thanks to Molotov Solution (who kicked more ass than ever in Houston that night, I mean, really, you should have seen the crowd), my friend and I were able to gain backstage access for the show and we got to hang out with the bands in the lounge. The three opening bands were all there, and I'll tell you, all these metalheads are pretty chill guys. I got the opportunity to talk to the guys in CFTG a lot, and I think they're one of the most hardworking, humble bands I've ever met. They invited us to drink with them and even signed stuff for us. I don't drink beer so Mikey (CFTG's new vocalist) got the staff to bring me some Red Bull, which was nice of him. We talked for pretty close to a full hour (with Molotov Solution's and Tony Danza's sets in between) about all sorts of things. Music, touring, life, whatever. I know that next time they're in town I'd definitely go to see them again. They're a bunch of chill dudes who write great music and put on an awesome show, missing out on them would be a mistake. Their new album, Revenants, is set to be released on October 25th. I'm set to preorder my copy. If you like metal, do yourself a favor and check these guys out. You might like what you hear. // 9

Comments