UK (Glasgow), November 19, 2011 Review

artist: death cab for cutie date: 12/12/2011 category: live concerts
death cab for cutie: UK (Glasgow), November 19, 2011
The concert took place in Glasgow, United Kingdom at the famous O2 Academy on the 19th of November. To get straight to the point; the concert was fantastic. I was impressed how much better they were live than on CD.
 Perfomance: 9
 4.4
 8.7
review (1) user comments vote for this concert:
UK (Glasgow), November 19, 2011 Reviewed by: thedefrockednun, on december 12, 2011

Sound: I was really looking forward to seeing Death Cab For Cutie live, mainly because they "opened my mind" in a way to new and exciting music. I guess I was the kind of person who listened to the classics and nothing else and after hearing Death Cab, around 4 years ago, I fell in love and set out to discover all the different styles and eras of music that I love today. To get straight to the point; the concert was fantastic. I was impressed how much better they were live than on CD. This may seem obvious to most but it really isn't. Seeing them live gave me an absolutely new image and conception of them, usually when you hear the name Death Cab For Cutie, you think about calm, soothing, sad music with nice melodies and emotional lyrics. Well in concert, there is a certain dynamic that you don't get from hearing the CD. Most songs had nice stretched instrumental parts that really reminded me of Explosions In The Sky or Porcupine Tree. I was very impressed how Ben Gibbard, the singer, switched between guitar and piano. He's definitely at the top of his game. // 8

Perfomance: When I first saw that they were coming to town, I imagined Ben Gibbard sitting on a high stool with is guitar, softly singing "I Will Follow You In To The Dark". I was pleasantly surprised to be proven otherwise; Gibbard jumped around, danced, head-banged and ran all over the stage. Everything was more alive and in a way, heavier. He looked like Joe Cocker on speed, dancing crazily with his guitar and then throwing his guitar on to the floor and running to the keyboards and head-banging while playing the piano part in "I Will Posses Your Heart". The musical highlights must have been "Grapevine Fires" and "Soul Meets Body". The lighting, the music, the performance all fit together wonderfully sending shivers down my spine. The band opened with "I Will Posess Your Heart". They then went through songs from all the big albums including the new release, "Codes And Keys". Another amazing moment was when a rodey came on stage to give Gibbard his acoustic guitar and the other members left the stage. Everyone knew what was coming and Ben Gibbard dedicated the song to the audience. He then after a few seconds of total silence strummed the first chords of "I Will Follow You In To The Dark", in my opinion one of the most beautiful, touching songs of all time. The band left and returned for an encore. The crowd was wild and I wasn't the only one thrilled and surprised by how hardcore Ben Gibbard was. They played my two of my favourites, "A Lack Of Colour" and "We Looked Like Giants". During the latter, a rodey brought a mini drum-set on stage and the singer went crazy on it during a 7 minute prolongation of the bridge. I must say that Gibbard was truly amazing, everything about him was so lively and energetic an he was so different from what I had expected. He even looked different, having lost a ton of weight, he was really skinny and looked a lot like Ashton Kutcher in "Two And A Half Men". All in all the performance was great, one of the best I've experienced in a while. The key thing was the element of surprise and the contrast between the style of music and the show. // 9

Overall Impression: The concert took place in Glasgow, United Kingdom at the famous O2 Academy on the 19th of November. The tickets were around 20 pounds and it was worth every penny. The show was great and it was generally just a brilliant concert. The opening band was a band called Butcher The Bar. They weren't bad, I could see why Death Cab had chosen to tour with them, but they really weren't all too special. They were the kind of band you listen to and think "not bad, he's got a nice voice" but there isn't anything unique, peculiar or striking about them. I will definitely go to see them again if I'm anywhere near a concert of theirs and I would recommend anyone who likes this band, even those who don't, to go and see them. // 9

More Death Cab For Cutie reviews rating latest review