UK (Manchester), March 3, 2006 Review

6.2
 3.3
review (1) user comments vote for this concert:
UK (Manchester), March 3, 2006 Reviewed by: Cheesy Wotsit, on march 06, 2006

Sound: DCFC at the Manchester Academy is definitly one of teh best gigs I have ever been to, just simply because of the sheer energy and passion coming from the band, and how it came across perfectly to me and I'm sure everyone else in the place. Ben's singing was awesome throughout the entire gig, some songs being entirely faithful to the tracks, and other with subtle differences to connotation and timing that only improved the overall sound. Guitar and bass were also perfectly performed in every song, Chris Walla producing some largely different solos from the albums that were great to listen to. The sound quality at the gig was pretty good, and the setup was great; not once did I see any of the band slyly waving to the sound people to have something turned up or down. Overall, I's have to say that the way the songs were performed and the quality of the playing lived up to all the albums and more! // 9

Perfomance: Personally I enjoyed the gig a lot because the audience was not too hardcore. I wasn't expecting circle pits and the like for a death cab gig, but there was a great atmosphere in the audience that just went to show that everyone was there to listen to the music, and enjoy it. I wasn't oversquashed, the crowd basically just gave a great atmosphere. Suprisingly, the set consisted of songs from all of the albums, not just Plans with some old singles thrown in. Can't remember the whole set list but it went something like this: Marching Bands Of Manhattan We Laugh Indoors The New Year Title And Registration Soul Meets Body Lightness Crooked Teeth Photobooth Company Calls (and epilogue after) What Sarah Said We Looked Like Giants Sound Of Settling Encore: I Will Follow You Into The Dark Transatlanticism The only thing I thought missing, and my only very small problem with the set was that it was really missing A Lack Of Colour for a great encore. Somehow Ben thought I will Follow You... would make up for this, and while it did get everyone singing, A Lack Of Colour would have been so much better! I even saved space on my camera for it only to not hear it. This was a very small problem with a fantastic show however. Highlights of the show included an extra drum kit being brought on stage for Ben for an awesome ear shattering drum solo in We Looked Like Giants, this got everyones attention and was a great extra set piece, that I think isn't on the track but I'm not sure. The lighting was reasonable, for a medium sized venue. There were some bright exploding lights at the top that worked well with the louder drum crashes, and I nice effect that had the members sillouetted against a purple backdrop. // 10

Overall Impression: The show was at the Manchester Academy, Manchester, England, 03/05/2006. Barsuk buddy John Vanderslice was supporting, who actually looked nothing like how I expected him to. I had only heard a few songs of his, A Pale Horse and Up Above The Sea being the only ones he played that I knew, these were perfromed well though. I thought that he was a great introduction, with a style of music that fitted well with Death Cab. Tickets were 11.00, which was well worth it in my opinion, and I'm looking forward to whenever they tour the UK again! Probably in about 10 years or something. // 8

More Death Cab For Cutie reviews rating latest review