USA (Mesa), June 19, 2008 Review

9.7
 9.3
review (1) 1 comment vote for this concert:
USA (Mesa), June 19, 2008 Reviewed by: jasonmetal love, on june 25, 2008

Sound: Death Cab For Cutie has a unique sound. Consequently, when I attended this concert, I expected nothing less. As it turns out, I got more than I bargained for. The sound was phenomenal! The drums were heavily mic'ed and this produced a rich sound that resonated throughout the entire venue. The vocals sounded exactly like they should have. As you should know, Ben has a unique voice and any sort of effects on it at a Live performance might skew it a bit. That's what I thought before I attended this concert anyhow. The sound crew put a bit of an ambient effect on his voice and it came out sounding beautiful. The guitars (both Ben and Chris's) were amazing too. Classic Death Cab For Cutie tones. The bass was also jacked way up but still managed to hide a little so not as to drown anyone out. Also, the piano was marvelous as always. It hit that surreal sound that Death Cab is famous for with ease. // 9

Perfomance: This concert was to promote their new album "Narrow Stairs". I myself had only heard a few songs from this album and was expecting to get a first listen to the rest at this show. Lucky for me, they decided to play every song on their "Narrow Stairs" album. It all sounded great too. Death Cab has emotion and presence on stage that they can achieve without moving around too much. This is one of the things I like about their concerts. Everyone stays in their "box" but still manages to portray a large amount of energy and connection with the audience. Ben will also liven the mood by cracking a joke or two about the environment he's in. Such as telling everyone that he feels like he's playing in a microwave because it's so hot (The venue was in Mesa, Arizona). Also, when he plays "I Will Follow You Into the Dark" the crowd always responds well and holds up lighters or screams his name. // 9

Overall Impression: USA, Mesa, Arizona, Mesa Amphitheater, June 19th 2008. The band Rouge Wave opened up the show. They were pretty good. I looked them up on the internet after the show and found them to be a fairly popular alternative band from Oakland California. They have a really chill sound and were a good choice as an opening band. I love Death Cab music, to death. It's such a great sound with great ambiance and musicianship. Their shows always portray the same exact thing that the album does. This makes their concerts more enjoyable and fun to be at. The only thing I disliked was having to sit on the grass for over two hours (it was an outdoors venue). My rear end was sore by the time it was over. Tickets cost $30 but, I bought them early. In fact, I waited on ticketmaster.com until they came out and was probably one of the first to get them. As the date approached, the tickets increased in price. The show was definitely worth the money. I had the impression that I underpaid to see something so great. All in all, the whole show was unforgettable. I will go see this band again just as soon as I get the chance. There is something surreal about this band that just can't be put into words. Instead, go see for yourself. // 10

More Death Cab For Cutie reviews rating latest review