USA (Providence), October 22, 2005 Review

9.7
 7.3
review (1) user comments vote for this concert:
USA (Providence), October 22, 2005 Reviewed by: CapRFFC, on october 24, 2005

Sound: This was my first time seeing Death Cab live and I must say that they completely floored every single person in the audience. Chris's guitar playing was spot on and Ben's vocals didn't miss a beat. The only complaint I have is that the instruments were turned up louder than the mics, so the vocals were drowned out on a song or two. The drums and bass were surprisingly powerful (they really come across and hit you in person). There wasn't a single missed note that I noticed. // 9

Perfomance: I have never seen a band more into mellow (some of the songs at least) music before. There was so much energy coming from the stage and the audience was feeding off it the entire night. The band interacted with the crowd throughout and told a funny anecdote about an incident at their Boston show. I don't remember the entire set list, but here were some highlights: 01. Marching Bands Of Manhattan - opened the set. A beautiful song that got the crowd going for the rest of the night. 02. The New Year - second song and the crowd really came unglued after this. 03. Title And Registration - the one song everyone knows the first line to, but not the rest. The crowd didn't know the words, so just screamed instead. 04. Soul Meets Body - performed to absolute perfection. Sounds like it does on the album. Just better. 05. Expo '86 - my personal highlight. This was one of the heavier portions of the night and when it's played live, it almost reminds me of Radiohead meets Modest Mouse. 06. Sound Of Settling - naturally everyone went insane for this. Closed out the set. 07. I Will Follow You Into The Dark - first encore song featured Ben solo acoustic. Consider this concert number four that has brought me to tears. I have never heard anything more beautiful in my entire life. Everyone knew every word and sang perfectly alongside Ben. 08. Tiny Vessels - dual bass players. First time I've ever seen that, but it worked absolutely perfectly. And it was a perfect segway into the grand finale. 09. Transatlanticism - great jam session. There wasn't a single person quiet during this. Perfect way to end the show. The band was completely into each song and although the bass player looked as if he was about to kill someone (he had this really intense look on his face, but he is a really nice guy), it fit each song perfectly. // 10

Overall Impression: Providence, RI, USA, Lupos Heartbreak Hotel, 10/22/05. The opening band was the Montreal-based group Stars, who were like a cross between Portishead and The Doves. For the most part, they were very good. The crowd was surprisingly really into them. The female in the group was acting very provocatively and made many sexual innuendos and sounds, which were all humorous. She's a great guitarist, as well. Death Cab are genuine rock stars. They are greatly appreciative of their fans, insanely friendly, and willing to give every last bit of energy they have to make sure each person goes home happy. It was well worth the $20 I spent and much more. There was one really high girl who pushed her way through the crowd right up to the front of the stage where I was and she wouldn't shut up during the show, which caused me to be pressed really hard against the stage, thus hurting my back. But the pain was worth it. I actually met two really awesome people from Washington, DC who drove all the way up just to see this band. I am proud to say that I would do the exact same thing if I were in their position. Death Cab matches the Foo Fighters and Weezer show I saw last week and I would go see them in a heartbeat. // 10

More Death Cab For Cutie reviews rating latest review