UK (Wembley), October 19, 2003 Review

artist: deftones date: 10/21/2004 category: live concerts
deftones: UK (Wembley), October 19, 2003
The band sounded like a horrible mess of noisy guitars with a faint drum beat in the back ground. But there was alot good band movement on stage which kept your attention even if you couldn't hear a great deal of the music.
 Perfomance: 8
 6.6
 4.7
 8.4
review (1) user comments vote for this concert:
UK (Wembley), October 19, 2003 Reviewed by: magicam, on october 21, 2004

Sound: This was on Deftones' tour of their latest self - titled album. In my opinion they are one of the most artisticly creative bands around today and 'Deftones' was the best album of 2003 in my opinion. Judging by the persistant quality of their albums I expected their live performance to be something spectacular. This probably being one of their biggest headlining shows to date in the infamous Wembley Arena I thought it would be interesting how they performed to such a huge audience. I was horriby disappointed by the experience. The sound quality was, put simply, awful. I don't think the band themselves can be blamed for this though, it is the fault of the people at the sound desk. When their opening track 'Minerva' began it sounded near perfect. For some reason the idiots at the sound desk thought it would be a great idea to crank up the volume to a stupid level so u literally couldn't hear anything but constant distortion and feedback. I go to a lot of gigs, this has to be the worst sound quality I have ever heard at any gig. // 2

Perfomance: The way Chino Moreno moves around onstage engages the audience and he initiates a lot of musician-audience interaction. For example, during 'My Own Summer' (of which the sound quality was better than most of the others) he climbed down off the stage and went to the front of the audience encouraging us to sing the chorus 'Shove it! Shove it! Shove it!'. He also made some funny jokes and played up to his 'constantly drunk' act by knocking back a beer and a Jack Daniels and Coke. There was alot good band movement on stage which kept your attention even if you couldn't hear a great deal of the music. // 8

Overall Impression: United Kindom, Wembley Arena, 19th of October 2003. A Perfect Circle were the support but I arrived to late to see their performance because of traffic problems in central London, although I heard when I got there that they were nothing special live. If the volume had been turned down, then I'm sure I would have enjoyed the show a lot more. As it was, it sounded like a horrible mess of noisy guitars with a faint drum beat in the back ground. The only redeeming feature of the show was the last song 'Change' for which they managed to get the sound pretty perfect. It sounded incredible and is definitely one of the bands strongest songs. Saddly however, this was not enough to excuse the fact that the rest of it sounded awful despite the bands best efforts to please the crowd. // 4

More Deftones reviews rating latest review
+ USA (Detroit), June 12, 2007 8.4 10/03/2011