Japan (Tokyo), April 23, 2004 Review

artist: dream theater date: 06/26/2006 category: live concerts
dream theater: Japan (Tokyo), April 23, 2004
High quality sound and the song choice was fantastic. The Japanese audience was loving it.
 Perfomance: 7
 8.7
 7.3
review (1) 1 comment vote for this concert:
Japan (Tokyo), April 23, 2004 Reviewed by: Anealator, on june 26, 2006

Sound: I, myself, think that James LaBrie has done a great job in regards to vocals. I agree that he sings a lot better on the album but he doesn't sound like a 15-year-old Who's voice is breaking! Mike Portnoy's drum kit is bloody massive, I think that there were about 40 cymbols. He had 3 bass drums, 2 snare drums and hi-hats, chimes, differently tuned wooden blocks and a variety of tom-toms. John Myung uses a six-string bass, John Petrucci uses a six-string electric and a double neck at one point. Jordan's keyboard is just cool, I can't remember what make it was but it was on this stand that could turn through a full 360. High quality sound and the song choice was fantastic, except that "Honor Thy Father" wasn't on it. // 10

Perfomance: The Japanese audience was loving it. What made me laugh was the Japanese head-bangers and there was a clump of about 30 businessmen all wearing suits there and some of them were head-bangers as well. As I am was a great start to the show. This Dying Soul, to me, was still the intro and that was good. Beyond This Life was the longest song played and the last 10 mins was an instrumental. Hollow Years was great, Dream Theater's slow songs are a great change. War Inside My Head was closely followed by The Test That Stumped Them All which was ok I wasn't really impressed by it. Endless Sacrifice is a great song and it was glorified by it's live version. Instrumedly was a mixture of a load of there albums and it was awesome. One of the highlights of the show. Trial Of Tears and New Millenium were ok, again I wasn't really impressed. Jordan Rudess's Keyboard Solo was incredible. Only A Matter Of Time and Goodnight Kiss were alright I guess. Solitary Shell was amazing. This was when Petrucci played his double-neck. Stream Of Consciousness is now my 2nd favourite song by Dream Theater thanks to this concert! Disappear and Pull Me Under were average in my opinion. Their finalle was In The Name Of God and what a breath-taking end to an amazing concert! // 7

Overall Impression: My overall impression of it was good. It was a great concert from a great band. It was at the Budokan in Tokyo, Japan on the (I think that it was on the) 23rd of April 2004. In The Name Of God was the unforgettable moment. The only critisism: it was WAY too long! // 9

More Dream Theater reviews rating latest review