USA (Boston), May 20, 2008 Review

artist: dream theater date: 06/06/2008 category: live concerts
dream theater: USA (Boston), May 20, 2008
The most crazy part of the show was a keytar/guitar battle between Jordan Rudess and John Petrucci, followed by Rudess playing the keytar and keyboard at the same time.
 Perfomance: 10
 8.1
 9.7
 6.5
reviews (2) 7 comments vote for this concert:
USA (Boston), May 20, 2008 Reviewed by: Ronofthedead07, on june 06, 2008

Sound: James LaBrie is a decent singer. I've heard better and I've heard worse, but he does have a remarkable vocal range. I've seen videos of John Petrucci using several different 6- and 7-string guitars. I got to see many of them used at Progressive Nation '08. My roommate owns a MusicMan John Petrucci 6-string guitar, and I know first-hand that they are very high-quality instruments. Jordan Rudess uses a pretty beefed up keyboard, a cool fingerboard, and a keytar, with which he duels in solo with John Petrucci. If you've never seen Mike Portnoy's drum set, you haven't lived. It is massive, and he finds a way to use everything that's thrown into it. John Myung plays some sweet 6-string Yamahas, from his own line of basses, I believe. Amazing sound all around, nothing less than I expected from a supergroup like Dream Theater. // 10

Perfomance: I loved watching them. It was a real treat. I don't remember every song they played, but I'll list the few I do remember: In The Presence Of Enemies: Part 1 - they opened the set with this one. One of my favorite Dream Theater tunes, this is probably the best choice they could have made for an opening. Forsaken - this is another one of my favorite Dream Theater tunes. It combines a good variety of chill music with intense metal-like riffs as well. As I Am - this song kicks ass. I wasn't too familiar with it before I went to the show, but I was blown away by its intensity and how the entire audience got so into the song. The Ministry Of Lost Souls - this is another one that illustrates Dream Theater's ability to do different genres all in one song. A few beautiful solos and crazy stuff in the middle of the song make for one incredible experience. The most crazy part of the show was a keytar/guitar battle between Jordan Rudess and John Petrucci, followed by Rudess playing the keytar and keyboard at the same time, it's nuts. // 10

Overall Impression: The show took place at the Orpheum Theater in Boston, MA, on May, 20, 2008. There were 3 openers to the big show: two lesser known bands called 3 and BTBAM. The third was Opeth, an up-and-coming death metal band. I'm not crazy about death metal, so hearing 2 hours of it before the big show wasn't the greatest thing in the world. Listening to Dream Theater Live more than made up for it, though. Tickets were $51 each, and the show was more than worth it. If I get the chance, I would see DT again in a heartbeat. // 9

More Dream Theater reviews rating latest review