Australia (Brisbane), November 28, 2005 Review

artist: foo fighters date: 12/06/2005 category: live concerts
foo fighters: Australia (Brisbane), November 28, 2005
Completely amazing. They were outstanding. Dave puts everything into his performance and it really shows.
 Perfomance: 10
 9.7
 9.3
review (1) 1 comment vote for this concert:
Australia (Brisbane), November 28, 2005 Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 06, 2005

Sound: From the get go, you could tell the sound quality was somewhat lower than expected. Dave Grohl's guitar was super loud, and Chris Shiflett's was way too low. Chris started off In Your Honor, and I found myself straining to hear which chord was being played. It wasn't until Dave started singing it that I knew where we were. That being said as soon as Dave's guitar kicked in, the sound problems just got pushed to the back, and I think they turned Chris up too. Taylor Hawkins is unreal on the drums. Completely flawless throughout the entire performance. Dave's vocal ability is just incredible, from smooth soothing vocals in Everlong and Resolve, to balls out screaming in Monkey Wrench, Breakout and Best Of You. Overall it was pretty good sound. // 8

Perfomance: Completely amazing. I have loved the Foo Fighters since the old days of Monkey Wrench, and this is the first time I have experienced them live. They were outstanding. Dave puts everything into his performance and it really shows. As a crowd member I could feel the emotion in the songs. Incredible. Setlist is as follows: 01. In Your Honor - what an opener. I picked it before they started, but it completely blew me away. 02. All My Life - the crowd went insane. Definitely a favorite. 03. My Hero - good effort, although the same jam riffs were used as were done on the DVD. 04. Best Of You - excellent. Green lasers shot around the room. 05. For All The Cows - as has been done before, Chris played the riff repeatedly as Dave introduced the band and made some jokes and told stories. Very good song this one is. 06. DOA - not exactly my favorite off the new album but done well. 07. Times Like These - from DOA immediately into this. I like this song, especially live. 08. Learn To Fly - from TLT immediately into this. This song kicked ass and the crowd loved it. 09. The One - from Learn To Fly immediately into this. A big suprise, I couldn't quite pick it when it began. Very good song and I was extremely happy they played it. 10. Stacked Actors - definitely a highlight of the night. Dave ran through the crowd to a platform at the back of the sound desk and proceeded to have a guitar solo-off with Chris who was still on stage. Amazing. 11. Big Me - boy, were the crowd happy to hear this one. Very good song that everyone enjoyed. Well performed. 12. Have It All - I really enjoyed this song. I think this is one of the lesser known favorites. The crowd really enjoyed it. 13. Breakout - well what can I say? Probably most people's favorite. Especially when Dave gets the crowd singing the first chorus until the entire band breaks into it. Very good. 14. End Over End - probably my favorite off the new album and performed extremely well. The crowd went nuts too. 15. Everlong - no doubt about it, the highlight of the night. Dave came on and played it by himself, and I will admit I was disappointed. But then during the last pre-chorus I could see the band coming out through the shadows and sure enough, they exploded into the final chorus, sending the crowd into a complete craze! It was outstanding! 16. Generator - I was relieved to hear this song. Good opener into the encore. Before this Dave shared a few extremely funny stories, whilst guzzling down beers. Very good entertainment. 17. Resolve - I didn't like this song off the album, but live I have to say they did a good job. 18. Cold Day In The Sun - a complete suprise, I don't think anyone saw it coming. Taylor hopped off the drums and donned an electric guitar whilst Dave sat in the drummers chair. I have to admit it is a beautiful sight seeing Dave back behind the drum kit! Taylor did a really good job, and he is extremely funny. 19. Monkey Wrench - no better word for it. One of the best Foo Fighters songs. Excellent, flawless performance. // 10

Overall Impression: The Foo Fighters played at Brisbane Entertainment Centre, Australia on the 28th of November 2005. I drove 3 hours from Byron Bay to see them, I was on schoolies at the time. I missed The Nation Blue, but apparently the guitarist dislocated his knee on stage. I wasn't impressed by the Kaiser Chiefs, a little too boring for me, but they did perform well. The ticket cost about $85. It was well worth what I paid. The only thing I was disappointed about was the length of show. For a band with 5 albums under their belt they could have played alot more than 19 songs. Having said that, I was still completely satisfied with their performance. The best parts of the night were Dave's incredible stories and jokes. "Hey does anyone want some water?" (throws cup at crowd) "Well sorry thats beer." He is a true entertainer. I will not hesitate to go to the next Foo Fighters gig. // 10

More Foo Fighters reviews rating latest review