UK (Exeter), October 9, 2003 Review

artist: funeral for a friend date: 04/05/2004 category: live concerts
It was a brilliant night out. Funeral For A Friend was full of energy and its skill was blistering.
 Perfomance: 10
 8.9
 7.8
review (1) user comments vote for this concert:
UK (Exeter), October 9, 2003 Reviewed by: kryptonite22, on april 05, 2004

Sound: Every now and then, you get one of those rare bands that can match their quality on CD with their live performance. Funeral For A Friend are one such band. From start to finish, there were no noticable flaws, not only in terms of sound but in every department. Matt's voice was as good as ever, and the guitars were spot on. Simply put, it was CD quality. // 10

Perfomance: I don't remember the exact setlist, obviously, but it went something like this: -She Drove Me To Daytime Television -This Year's Most Open Heartbreak -Bullet Theory -Red Is The New Black -Bend Your Arms To Look Like Wings -The Art of American Football -Storytelling -Rookie of the Year -Escape Artists Never Die -10:45 Amsterdam Conversations -Novella [pointless break] -Juneau Each song was brilliant. The highlights, for me, were "This Year's Most Open Heartbreak" - to this day that is the most violent mosh pit I have ever been in - "Bend Your Arms To Look Like Wings", "The Art of American Football" and "Juneau". As this show happened before the album came out, it was great to hear the new songs, and was a bonus for them to be so good. The show was put on with limited lighting and background, but this had no effect whatsoever on the performance. Simply brilliant. The second best gig I have ever been to. The crowd enjoyed it, and you could tell the guys loved it too. The non-musical highlight of the gig had to be Matt mouthing off at David Blaine, Who at the time was suspended above the Thames in a plastic box (this part coming, unsurprisingly, before Escape Artists Never Die). // 10

Overall Impression: For a gig that cost 8.50, with the tickets arriving 2 days beforehand, and with rumours circulating that day that Ryan had broken his hand, I was pretty pleased. The only reason it remains as my second favourite gig is because I think the first gig is always the best (in this case Feeder, I've never been to a gig with a better atmosphere than that - I didn't know quite what to expect). In terms of performance, however, this matches any gig I have been to in my entire life. Due to this, and the subsequent release of the album, FFAF have become less of a favourite band and more of an obsession. The openers, Hondo Maclean, and support, Further Seems Forever (supposed to be the Movielife, but they split literally days before this show), were also probably very good - I wouldnt know, I was in the pub until FSF's last song, "The Sound". Overall, it was a brilliant night out, and one I rank as one of the best of my life. I urge you to see FFAF live, the energy and skill is blistering, and I will definitely be seeing them again at the next available opportunity. // 10

More Funeral For A Friend reviews rating latest review