UK (Birmingham), July 26, 2004 Review

artist: G3 date: 08/16/2006 category: live concerts
G3: UK (Birmingham), July 26, 2004
Here the sound quality was alright not great which it should considering they have profesionnal sound engineers, but then again it wasn't bloody.
 Perfomance: 8
 9.3
 8.5
reviews (2) 1 comment vote for this concert:
UK (Birmingham), July 26, 2004 Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 22, 2004

Sound: I saw the three of them at the NIA in Birmingham (well I say three, I really mean two as Fripp was doing an invisible Jim act which is not cool as you have just spent thirty quid to see three great guitarists when infact you can only see two of them.) Here the sound quality was alright not great which it should considering they have profesionnal sound engineers, but then again it wasn't bloody awful like one gig I played when the bloody sound engineer decided to play with the knobs on our amps the eegit. // 8

Perfomance: Robert Fripp's set consisted of one half an hour song called 2006 and I swear it was either done on a keyboard or a serious amount of effects and to qoute the singer of Franz Ferdinand "we don't use effects because they are just used to cover up bad playing". So as you can guess I didn't think much of his set. Now Steve Vai, well want can I say apart from he was simply amazing, the two best bits of his set were Steve sitting at the front of the stage playing his three neck jem with a fan at the front of the stage, now that's what u call showmanship (or maybe vanity). The second moment was Steve Vai and the band just standing playing at the front of the stage playing each others guitars it was great. Before this gig I wasn't a big fan of Steve Vai as I had only heard the elusive light and sound album but now I'm hooked. Joe Satriani, he was good but he seemed, well average compared to Vai, I dont know what it was probably because he played alot of stuff off his new album which I havent heard yet dammit. I would give this an excellant if it wasn't for Fripp. // 8

Overall Impression: They did a good gig here in Birmingham, England on the 26th july at the NIA but the tickets cost too much just to see the two out of three guitarists on the bill, and yes I will be going to the next G3 gig. // 8

UK (Birmingham), July 26, 2004 Reviewed by: SRV16, on august 16, 2006

Sound: Joe Satriani has a really cool voice, he has great pitch and sound. Steve Vai plays a triple guitar, and the others use electric guitars. Billy Sheehan on bass produces amazing bass riffs. The quality of the sound was amazing, it's an outstanding concert full of awesome guitar. Really impressive solos and well played songs. // 10

Perfomance: We all loved them, the music blows you away, one of the best concerts I've ever seen. Each guitarist came on and did a 30 minute set Frip was dissapointing however, although good at the end. Steve Vai and Joe Satrianin were breath taking but Satriani didn't play for aslong as the others. Steve Vai's songs included: 01. Answers - was amazing some really fast sweeping guitar. 02. Juice - was insane, it's was great. 03. Boston Rain Melody - was execptional. 04. For The Love Of God - one of my personal favourites played sweetly. Joe Satriani played: 01. Gnahh - a cool piece with some great playing. 02. Up In Flames - Satriani shows his skill. 03. Is There Love In Space? - was awesome and got the croud mesmerised. 04. I Like The Rain - Satriani sung and played, really well. 05. Always With Me, Always With You - a beautiful song a Satriani classic. 06. War - an emotional piece that rocked the croud. 07. Satch Boogie - one of the coolest songs I've ever heard riduculous speed and technique, his best song of the night. Then all 3 guitarists got on stage to play together: 01. Ice Nine - great solos and snazzy riff. 02. Red - King Crimson's Red was played but with loads more guitar parts, was cool. 03. Murder - rocked. 04. Rocking In The Free World - was an amazing finale and was excellent. Fripp really let the side down it has to be said. // 8

Overall Impression: The thing I love about the show was how they play so superbly and quickly but make it look so easy, I also love how cool Joe Satriani is. I hated the boredom of Fripp's playing. I got my ticket as a present so I don't know but I would have made anything to see that show. There was lots of topless girls trying to get attention from them which was great and a fat person tried to croud surf and it ended comically. I'll definately go see their next gig. // 9

More G3 reviews rating latest review