USA (Orlando), March 30, 2007 Review

artist: G3 date: 04/03/2007 category: live concerts
G3: USA (Orlando), March 30, 2007
The audience was just wild, the show was just spectacular. All knew that this was a one of a kind thing, watching Gilbert, Satriani Petrucci shredding together.
 Perfomance: 10
 9.2
 9.7
 8.6
review (1) 3 comments vote for this concert:
USA (Orlando), March 30, 2007 Reviewed by: Drdez, on april 03, 2007

Sound: This year's G3 had Joe Satriani, Paul Gilbert, and John Petrucci. This particular show was at the House of Blues in Orlando, and it was loud. It lasted from 8 until 12, so each player had about an hour each for individual music, and then there was a jam at the end. I was in the second row center, and it couldn't get any better. Paul was probably my favorite, since I've seen Joe hundreds of times, and I hadn't heard much of John Petrucci's music before. The sound was just great, you heard every note, on every instrument. Paul even had his wife there on keyboards, and she's great! The only problem I had with the sound was that you couldn't hear Joe's rhythm guitarist Galen Henson, it was all Joe. // 9

Perfomance: The audience was just wild, the show was just spectacular. We all knew that this was a one of a kind thing, watching Paul Gilbert, Joe Satriani, and John Petrucci shredding together. Paul kicked off the show with "Get Out of My Yard," blowing everyone away with his incredible speed. He had Bruce Bouillet there from Racer X, and he's superb! Paul's set was mostly from my favorite of his albums, his latest, "Get Out of My Yard," with songs like "Hurry Up," "Rusty Old Boat," "Radiator," and the killer "Curse of Castle Dragon." But he let us feast on older stuff like "Space Ship One," which I had never seen Live, and was a hell of a treat. John Petrucci was next, and although I never completely got into his music, he was fantastic! His drummer, Mike Portnoy was a show on his own. My favorite bassist, Dave Larue, was there and played with both Petrucci and Satch. John's set was mostly, if not all (Sorry for not knowing) from his solo album "Suspended Animation." Joe was up last, and did not disappoint. He went right into "War" which is a rocking song and had the audience right into it. He kept on with songs like "Super Colossal," "The Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing," "One Big Rush," and the fun part was when he snuck in pieces of his debut "Not of This Earth," like on the Satriani Live DVD. But, being the 20th anniversary of "Surfing With the Alien," he played songs from that album, like "Satch Boogie," "Surfing With the Alien," "Circles," and "Always With Me, Always With You." After Joe was done with "Always With Me" he went into a jam-out when Petrucci surprises the audience by hitting the stage and joining in! Later comes Paul with a Flying V, and on starts the jam! The Jam was by far the best part of the show, and was worth the money on it's own. They played "Foxey Lady" and "Purple Haze" by Hendrix, "Going Down," and "Jumping Jack Flash" by The Rolling Stones." Paul's corny stage personality was hilarious, hearing him play incredible licks, and then top it off with a sense of humor is what makes him such a one-of-a-kind guitarist. You have to check him out. // 10

Overall Impression: This concert was in Orlando, Florida, USA at the House Of Blues on March 30, 2007. There wasn't an opener for the show. I loved the entire show, every second. You had to stand around waiting for 15 minutes after each solo act for them to set up to stage for the next performer, but it was all worth it. I payed $325 for the ticket to see Joe backstage and get a few things signed, let's just say I would have payed double. This show is a must see for all guitarists! The most unforgettable moments were in the Jam, if I could ever go back in time, it would be just to see the jam again. I'll definitely go see Joe or Paul again, they were fantastic. // 10

More G3 reviews rating latest review