Austraila (Sydney), March 9, 2005 Review

artist: green day date: 09/28/2005 category: live concerts
green day: Austraila (Sydney), March 9, 2005
This was an excellent concert, the instruments used were more than your known typical line-up of a bass, guitar and drums. The sound quality was excellent and really showed how talented this band really is.
 Perfomance: 9
 8.3
 8.8
 7.8
reviews (4) user comments vote for this concert:
Austraila (Sydney), March 9, 2005 Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 12, 2005

Sound: First of all I must say this was an excellent concert, the instruments used were more than your known typical line up of a bass, guitar and drums. There was a pianist, rhythm guitar (Billie), lead guitar, bass (Mike), trumpet, drums (Tre) and saxophone. The sound quality was excellent and really showed how talented this band really is. There was a bit of a problem some of the time with hearing the bass, at the start of Longview it just didn't sound as great as it does on the record. But with that aside the rest of the sound was great. // 8

Perfomance: This is one of the best concerts I have been to. (And I know what I am talking about having being to many top-of-the-line concerts, eg. Metallica, Blink 182, Velvet Revolver). After Simple Plan had opened for them and after about 20 minutes of waiting, the lights finally went dark and Green Day appeared on stage. They started off predictably with American Idiot and then going straight into Jesus Of Suburbia. They then tore it up with 3 more American Idiot songs, Holiday, Are We The Waiting? and St Jimmy. Then the band got into the good 'ol Dookie stuff bringing it in with Longview and absolutely tearing it up from then on. The band put so much effort into their songs it wasn't even funny. And this concert was actually a grade A concert, you could tell alot went into this concert as there was flame shooters infront of Tre's kit, huge monitor screens behind the stage and massive Green Day banners and Green Day signs on the stage. Let me start off with the first highlight of this show. Firstly, about one-third of the way through the concert, Billie brings out a water pistol and starts spraying the crowd and then pulls up some random kid near the front of the mosh and gets him on stage and hands him a water pistol and they both soak the people in the mosh pit. The second highlight (and my favourite) was about half way through when Billie started a huge chant in the crowd and then said, "OK who here plays an instrument?" "Cause we need somebody to take over for us. So who here plays drums?" Then he walked up to a guy in the mosh and got him on stage and Tre moved off his stool to let him take over. Billie then said, "OK who here plays bass?" Then again he got to the mosh pit and grabbed a girl and she took over Mike's Job. Finally he said, "OK and now who here plays the guitar?" I'm serious abuot 10 thousand people screamed out and then I saw a guy near me writin on a piece of paper 'I play guitar'. Predictably he picked him and got them to play a song only consisting of the chords D C G. Billie then asked the guitarist what his name was and he said "I'm Nick and I'm from Adelaide" (for those of you who don't know Adelaide is a capital city in a different state from Sydney, Green Day were not touring there). This then erupted in a crowd of "Boo's" Billie then said "Well you played good, oh and by the way, you can keep the guitar." I almost fell over with jealousy but I spotted the headstock and it was just a Squier so that toned down my disappointment. He then made the drumming kid stage dive and off he went into the crowd. And finally the third moment was near the end, where they played a version of 'We Are The Champions' and two cannons on each side of the stage exploded with Green Day writing covered confetti which sprayed over the mosh pit. Then Green Day played 'Wake Me Up When September Ends' and then they left the stage. But no longer than 2 minutes later a spotlight appeared in the middle of the stage and Billie was standing there with his guitar and played an excellent version of "Time Of Your Life." The best songs (personally) that I think were played were: Boulevard Of Broken Dreams (one of the encores), When I Come Around, Longview, Minortiy (The crowd went crazy for that one), Time Of Your Life, Brain Stew, Jaded, St. Jimmy. // 10

Overall Impression: This concert was one of the best I have been to, I would pay to see them again anytime. They played at the Sydney Superdome which is a big arena so I was very lucky to get mosh tickets (which sold out in 8 minutes). They are great musicians and I would recommend everybody to see them if they get a chance. // 10

Austraila (Sydney), March 9, 2005 Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 26, 2005

Sound: Billie joe's vocals are absolutely briliant - live and on CD. His vocal control is awesome, and his voice is so unique. Billie used his famous Strat, blue and his Les Paul Jr and another that some guy in the crowd got. The sound quality was spot on and terrifc - loud, crunchy, punky and brilliant. I've never been to a concert, but I'm pretty saw nothing could beat this one. // 10

Perfomance: Simple plan were the support act and started off with Shut Up. After 45 min of Simple Plan, a guy in a pink bunny suit (I'm sure it was Tre) came on and started slamming booze. Ater the bunny departed off the stage, the 3 punk rock veterans took the stage and exploded into American Idiot, and immedietly the crowd went wild. They then followed with the 9 minute Jesus Of Surburbia and Holiday, before Billie Joe barked "this song isnt anti America, it's anti war! Billie also at one stage played the guitar with his teeth and behind his back. Awesome! Billie joes innocent, crued reputation showed at the concert. At one pointed, he put his hands down his pants and made some masterbating sounds (everyone loved that). And there was plenty of butt wiggles. But enough about Billie Joe. Mike dirt, our best punk pop bassist showed great professionalism but still a good sense of fun with his techniques, instrument and personality wise. Andy was suprised at Tre's status too, he was very professional. He is a brilliant drummer. Ther were fireworks, confetti, loads of impressive lights and awesome effects. The stage was designed perfectly. // 10

Overall Impression: Oh my goddness, there are no words to describe how awesome and brilliant that show was. It was amazing. I'm sure no concert could beat that ever because it was perfect. It changed my view of performing and music all together. It really opend my eyes. 10/10 isn't enough for how spectacular the show was, infinity out of 10! // 10

Austraila (Sydney), March 9, 2005 Reviewed by: les_paul_01, on april 25, 2005

Sound: The concert was Green Day and Simple Plan. Simple Plan sounded horrible (it was them, not the sound system), you could only hear Pierre's whining and the drummer. Green Day on the other hand sounded great. They had a support guitarist with a 335 for the American Idiot songs (later another support guitarist with a Les Paul did the encores). They also had a pianist, a trumpeterguy, a trombonist and what appeared do be a DJ (though I was on the other side of the arena so I couldn't tell). Green Day really did sound great. // 10

Perfomance: It was completely unforgettable, they were so unbelievably good. Setlist as follows: 01. American Idiot 02.Jesus Of Suburbia 03. Holiday (Billie Joe announced this as a big "f--k you" to George W.) 04. Longview 05. When I Come Around 06. Basket Case 07. She 08. Brain Stew 09. Hitchin' A Ride 10. We Are The Waiting (everyone was waving their lighters and phones in the air for this one) 11. St. Jimmy 12. Wake Me Up When September Ends (Billie Joe dedicated this to Johnny Ramone) 13. Shout! (cover, originally by Lulu) 14. We Are The Champions (obviously a Queen cover) First Encore: 15. Minority (everyone was jumping up and down for this) 16. Boulevard Of Broken Dreams (everyone sang the words for this 1) Second Encore 17. Good Riddance (just Billie) At some stage Green Day formed a mini band with kids from the audience. Billie Joe was walking up and down the catwalk asking all the kids if they could play guitar, bass or drums. Eventually they managed to find three kids and they quickly taught them a three note song. After about five minutes Billie said to the guitarist "you can have that guitar" which was a Strat or something. Mike let the bassist girl keep the bass and they let the drummer do a stage dive. // 10

Overall Impression: Australia, Sydney, Sydey Superdome, March 9, 2005. Worst thing was Simple Plan, so called punk band who did their crappy hits and managed to completely screw up "I Believe In A Thing Called Love." Ticket $66.80. Unforgettable, and when they release a new album (hopefully) and start touring again I certainly hope I'll be there again. My first concert ever, and a great way to start! // 10

Austraila (Sydney), March 9, 2005 Reviewed by: hendrix1194, on september 28, 2005

Sound: My little brother wanted to go and I was forced to take him, I really don't like Green Day. To start off, they had Simple Plan open fot them, and that really annoyed me, the guy sounds like a chick singing. Then Green Day came on, I hate the music, but the charisma of the guys was great, they played their instrument well no doubt about it. But ill give them a mediocre rating because I don't like them. // 5

Perfomance: Audience (exlduing me) loved them. They played some from the new album a few good tunes from the old school stuff. Time of your life was one I enjoyed. The singer gave his instruments to a few blokes in the crowd, I started to envy the fellow that got his strat 'cause I thought it was his american but it wasn't. // 6

Overall Impression: It was in Asutralia, Sydney Superdome, 9th March (my brithday). Simple Plan opened and they were s--tters. Tickets cost 60 bucks which was decent. I don't think it was worth it but my brother does. The were nor unforgettables and hopefully I will nope be chaperoning their next gig. // 6

More Green Day reviews rating latest review