Canada (Winnipeg), May 17, 2005 Review

artist: green day date: 05/18/2005 category: live concerts
green day: Canada (Winnipeg), May 17, 2005
They have great control of the stage. They know how to put on a show.
 Perfomance: 10
review (1) user comments vote for this concert:
Canada (Winnipeg), May 17, 2005 Reviewed by: «ÃFireÏnside», on may 18, 2005

Sound: May 17 in Winnipeg, the first time Green Day visited in 8 years. This was my first time seeing them, and put on a great f--king show. Billie Joe was on top of his game as far as I'm concerned, he was in tune all night. The sound was great for Green Day, but for the opening band (My Chemical Romance) the bass drowned out a lot of the guitar, and it was tough to hear vocals, and if you did you can't understand the guy. // 10

Perfomance: Setlist was as follows: 01. American Idiot - great opener, got everyone into it quick. 02. Jesus Of Suburbia - played flawlessly, amazing. 03. Holiday - good song, played well. 04. Are We The Waiting - I liked this one a lot. 05. St. Jimmy - played great. 06. Longview - the first old material played, everyone went nuts. 07. Hitchin' A Ride - always been one of my favourites, played well. 08. Brain Stew - crowd went nuts for this one and followed it with 09. Jaded - also went well. Good fan reaction on this one, I was surprised as it's not one of thier major known songs. 10. She - I always liked this song, I'm glad they played it. 11. Basketcase - fans went nuts for this one. 12. King For A Day - this one was interesting, but good. Billie Joe got the crown and robe out for this one. 13. Knowledge - fan band, I was too far back to be chosen, but it was pretty good, the guy got to keep the guitar. 14. Shout - cover, played great. 15. Minority - probably my favourite Green Day song, they played this decent, wasn't the best. Encore: 16. Maria - always liked this song, the did this good. 17. Boulevard Of Broken Dreams - overplayed, yes. Good, yes. 18. We Are The Champions - hightlight of the night. Confetti everywhere, played spectacularly. Billie Joe is no Freddie Mercury, but this was a very good cover. 19. Good Riddance - lighters out again, played beautifully, great way to end the show. BJ did all the normal things for his shows. In a lot of songs the he'd stop for a bit and get the crowd in it, going "hey, oh" and getting the whole crowd to chant it with him. At one part he got the crowd going "ah, ah, ah" and slowly stuck his hand down his pants before starting playing agian. They have great control of the stage, I was in the back and felt like I was on the floor. They know how to put on a show. I would've liked to see When I Come Around played, but I'm happy with the show. // 10

Overall Impression: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada on May 17 at the new MTS Centre, Green Day brought down the house. My Chemical Romance was an ok starting band, they got the crowd going. Ticket cost was about $40 bucks, I'd definately pay that again to see them, they put on a great great show. Best part of the show was We Are The Champions, followed by Billie Joe closing it out with Good Riddance. Next time they come around, I'm getting floor seats. // 10

More Green Day reviews rating latest review