Live at the Emirates, London, UK, June 1, 2013 Review

artist: green day date: 02/18/2014 category: live concerts
green day: Live at the Emirates, London, UK, June 1, 2013
The concert took place at the Emirates in North London which allowed an audience of monumental proportions to fill it. Tickets were expensive but for the musical assortment I received, it was worth every penny.
 Perfomance: 9
 8.4
 8.3
 8.5
review (1) 1 comment vote for this concert:
Live at the Emirates, London, UK, June 1, 2013 Reviewed by: mclovin4, on february 18, 2014

Sound: Green Day have been around since 1989 and continue to impress on the world stage with the sheer stamina of lead vocalist Billie Joe Armstrong a feat in itself. The set, lasting well over three hours featured old classics played alongside the latest singles from the recent triple album release ("Uno!", "Dos!", and "Tré!"). The so named "pint sized front man" Armstrong roamed around the stage, never still for a moment, blasting out punk-rock anthems with extraordinary energy. He did however struggle with the more delicate songs such as "Good Riddance" and backing vocal harmonies from bassist Mike Dirnt and guitarist Jason White at times were not entirely on point. Instrumental-wise, Armstrong and White both shared responsibility and delivered excellently, offering inventive inversions and extensions to the solos of "Holiday" and "Oh Love" prompting the usual cringe-inducing air guitars from the people that surrounded me.

Therefore, the sound quality overall was fantastic and well suited to the stadium gig in which they played, even in the more intimate songs at times to the detriment of vocal quality. If anything, this was almost expected considering the straining of Armstrong's voice in the louder songs from which, all pretenses aside, Green Day gain their fame. // 7

Perfomance: I'm not really what you'd call a punk. I don't own a wardrobe full of black, my clothes are rarely adorned with chains and my hair is neither black nor completely shaved save a three-foot Mohawk which could easily be considered a safety hazard. Not for me or indeed anyone for around twenty years. Punk as a lifestyle as well as a musical genre is misunderstood to say the least and to make a Green Day concert at a stadium venue my debut when it comes to live music so I did not know what to expect.

Opening with "99 Revolutions" from latest album "Tre!", the audience erupted with excitement, yelling along despite an almost total lack of lyrical knowledge of the song but the tune was enough. All except me. I have a strange ability of picking up words after very few plays of a song leaving me hoarse by the end of the night. To list every song would be impossible since the set featured so many songs from the iconic punk-trio.

More recent releases like "Oh Love," "Brutal Love" and "21st Century Breakdown" were met with less enthusiasm than classics including "Christie Road," "Basket Case" and "When I Come Around" from the mainly old-school crowd. Yet the stand out performances for me were of "Holiday" and "Boulevard of Broken Dreams" sacrificing the safety of my rib cage as I belted out the words while being slammed around in a mosh pit.

Also featuring were a selection of covers including "Shout" by the Isley Brothers and "Satisfaction" by the Stones. Entertainment was assured as Armstrong and the untamed Tre Cool wore novelty, British themed hats and fired t-shirt cannons into the clawing mass of hands hands from desperate fans. Finally, Armstrong invited various audience members (whether they were planted I have no idea) on to the flashing lit stage to play the guitar in "Know Your Enemy" and to sing in "Basket Case" followed by a crowd dive to complete a memory rich night. // 9

Overall Impression: The concert took place at the Emirates in North London home to my beloved Arsenal FC which allowed an audience of monumental proportions to fill it. Tickets were expensive at around £60 for general access but for the musical assortment I received, it was worth every penny.

It would be unfair to assess the concert as a whole without mentioning the opening acts: All Time Low and Kaiser Chiefs. All Time Low were up first, opening energetically but unfortunately failed to engage the mostly old-school Green Day fan base. Musically, they were sound and lead singer Alex Gaskarth sounded very impressive but unfortunately they may just have been that little bit too indie for the specific crowd; I really enjoyed their set but no real atmosphere was created. Following them were the British Kaiser Chiefs who certainly fulfilled where All Time Low had lacked and, to use the cliche, got the crowd off their feet. Their set contained a few more anthems including "I Predict a Riot" and "Modern Way" to warm everyone up for the main event.

The most unforgettable moments for me would be leaping around like a lunatic to "Holiday" regretting my lack of cardio training by the end as I panted for breath or watching a shirtless bloke adorned with Chelsea tattoos dancing with a stereotypical punk complete with 4 inch red mohawk. Unity and intimacy. That's what was created by Green Day which is vital for a stadium tour and they certainly set the bar high for me (at 16 years old) in terms of the acts I see in the future. I would go to every tour date if I could. // 9

More Green Day reviews rating latest review