UK (London), June 19, 2005 Review

8.3
 9.5
reviews (3) user comments vote for this concert:
UK (London), June 19, 2005 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 27, 2005

Sound: Singer and lead guitarist Billie Joe Armstrong was amazing, he really knows how to get a crowd going and involving them in the whole experience. Bassist Mike Dirnt handled back-up singing well and drummer Tre' Cool had class drumming skills! Billie Joe's singing skills were excellent and the quality of sound was good, to be honest I thought it could have been/should have been louder! I recall Billie Joe using a Les Paul and Mike using a Fender bass. They played a good selection of their old and new songs, they played about 20 or so in total. // 10

Perfomance: The audience went mad and loved them - all 65,000 of us! Billie Joe was very entertaining talking to the crowd and letting them join in singing and giving us praise. The songs they played were American Idiot (excellent booming entrance), Jesus Of Suburbia, Holiday (crowd very much involved in this song), Are We The Waiting, St. Jimmy (Billie Joe went a bit crazy on stage), Longview (a classic favourite), Hitchin' A Ride (Billie Joe started masturbating in this and faked an orgasm), Brainstew, Jaded, Knowledge (the 'fan band' 3 members of the audience were pulled up to play this on electric, bass and drums), Basket Case, She, King For A Day (Billie Joe dressed up as a king for this), Shout (cover by Lulu, cheery happy song, Billie Joe was humping the stage during this), Wake Me Up When September Ends. Encore: Minority (jolly bouncing song), Boulevard Of Broken Dreams, Homecoming and Good Riddance (a beautiful ending to a beautiful evening). There were many visual effects great lighting, lots of fire and many fireworks. // 10

Overall Impression: The gig was in the UK at the Milton Keynes National Bowl north of London on 19th June 2005. The opener was Hard-Fi - nothing special, the kid in front of me held up a sign saying 'You suck' whilst they performed! Taking Back Sunday were good quite energetic and they played some fun songs, Jimmy Eat World were ok, a bit boring I thought I felt a bit fed up by the time they arrived as I had been standing around for hours in the boiling sun and I was only there for Green Day. I loved Green Day's energy, they on form the whole time, it was honestly the best night of my life and I touched Billie Joe's hand! It was so worth waiting over 10 hours standing! I didn't like the fact they had the other bands (I know they do at every concert) but it was just tedious most people were only there for one reason - Green Day however we had to put up with these other bands. My ticket cost 28.50, worth every penny, would have paid about 3 times that amount if I needed to! Most unforgetable moment was Billie Joe masturbating! I was right in front of him and screaming my head off! The whole concert was so memorable though, I would recommend it to everyone, unless you get clastrophobic or something however as everyone is so squashed together for hours and it's like an oven, there were people behind me fainting. Spectacular gig though great work boys. I will definitely be at their next concert over here! // 10

UK (London), June 19, 2005 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 21, 2005

Sound: The concert was unbelievable. It's hard to describe how good its was without swearing. It was held in the Milton Keynes Bowl and was held over two days. I only went ot the Sunday concert (19th June). They opened with American Idiot and continued to play all of there hits. Billie Joe was completely amazing and his voice was f--king super. The preformance was full of energy. Billie, mike and tre were full of energy and you could tell they were siked to play. The stage presence felt like people on the other side of the world knew they were they. The vocals weren't loud enough in my opinon. I payed to hear Green Day, not 65,00 people. But still everythng was clearly heard. // 8

Perfomance: The really enjoyed them. I went with my dad from Manchester to see them and we weren't disappointed. The interaction with the crowd was full of chants, sing alongs, and audience members being invited on stage. The show was full of fire, fireworks, confety, and waterguns shot during St. Jimmy. A very amazing moment for me and I guess the whole crowd was when it's just the bass on The Tales From Another Broken Home. When mike started playing those three notes with the drums and guitar the whole audience erupted into mania like they had dynomite up their asses. Another special moment was when they started playing Basket Case and everyone just sang along like they had just won a million quid (for you americans, quid means pounds/dollars whatever). The whole arena has Green Day flags, lights pyrotechnics, the full job lot. Simply amazing preformance! // 10

Overall Impression: The gig was held in Milton Keyens Bowl, England on the 18th and 19th of June. I only went to the second date. The concert was like a miny festival. The openers included Hard-Fi (who), Taking Back Sunday, Jimmy Eat World, and of course Green Day. The show was like having a thousand birthdays all at once. They played every song I wanted to hear but didn't play when I come around which shocked me. Instead they played Homecoming which went down just as well because Billie, Mike, and Tre all sang which was good because they all, Mike in particular, has an unbelievable voice. I forgot to mention Mike sang Tales From Another Broken Home, I think, I didn't see Billie's lips move and he was away from the microphone. The tickets cost about 26. The staff didn't let you take anything in. So you had to buy drinks and food inside. They were about 4 times the normal cost. We ended up spending about 100 in 5 hours on food and drinks. I don't think a particular poiont was unforgettable because I'll hold that night in my memory until I die. There's no feeling like seeing your favourite band play live. I'd go to every gig if I could afford it. If you guys, Billie, Mike, Tre ever read this I'd just like you to know, you have left a mark on me I can never, ever forget. // 10

UK (London), June 19, 2005 Reviewed by: MarcW10, on june 22, 2005

Sound: Overall sound was decent, the problems with speakers cutting out during the support bands were thankfully resolved by the time GD appeared. Loud enough to be heard at the back of this huge field! // 8

Perfomance: Well, Green Day sure knows how to put on a show, pyro, audience participation, live masturbation, this one had it all! // 10

Overall Impression: Openers Hard Fi had a fairly original yet forgettable sound. Taking Back Sunday were not the best band in the world, the singer got into a little too much of the mic swinging moronitude for my liking. Jimmy Eat World were simply awesome. However, as Jim himself said, "No matter how good we are, Green Day are going to come out here and hand us our asses!" And he was right. As soon as the bunny appeared (in an old style policemans hat)and started chugging, we knew this was going to be a special one. Then came the rest of the band to the biggest cheer you will ever hear. Billie Joe actually looked a little intimidated by the sheer size and noise of the crowd. This lasted all of five seconds until he started playing at which point everything just went nuts. I think the pyro may have been turned up a little high, I was about 30 feet back and I felt it! 14 year old kid got dragged up to play guitar during Knowledge (lucky SOB) and got to keep the guitar, bass player (female, showing a little too much belly fat) got to stagedive. Billie Joe was completely hyper throughout, mooning the crowd during King For A Day, pretending to masturbate during Hitching A Ride and generally running around like the mad bastard we all know and love. Hope this one gets the DVD treatment as this was possibly the best live show ever! // 10

More Green Day reviews rating latest review