UK (Manchester), January 29, 2005 Review

green day: UK (Manchester), January 29, 2005
 Perfomance: 10
reviews (3) user comments vote for this concert:
UK (Manchester), January 29, 2005 Reviewed by: JB2500, on january 31, 2005

Sound: The support act was New Found Glory, their sound wasn't great because the guitars seemed to be fighting each other and the vocals where hard to hear but they got the crowed pumped and got some pits going (full of 6 year olds). After hearing that I was kind of expecting Green Day's sound to be hard to hear but I couldn't have been more wrong. The guitar was loud and crisp the bass and drums were spot on and the vocals were clear as a bell. Definitely the best sound I have heard from any other concert I have been to! // 10

Perfomance: When they came out the audience hit the roof, and they didn't disappoint. They played practically every song off American Idiot with one or two exceptions. They also played some old stuff including Good Riddance which got the whole crowd singing along and a sea of lighters going (which were given out before the gig in the lobby, which if you ask me was asking for trouble but luckily nothing happened). During the show they stopped playing and got 3 people from the crowd to go on stage and play, 1 drummer, 1 bassist and 1 guitarist, they played for a bit while the band mucked about. Then he told the guitarist he could have the guitar and the drummer did a stage dive which everyone applauded! There was also a large Pink rabbit that came out and some other creature at the other side of the stage that I couldn't make out. The effects were great! They had huge fire balls going off and you could feel the heat from them out in the crowd. They also had some cool cannons that fired strips of paper into the crowd with little heart hand grenades and "Green Day" on. The light display was probably the best I have ever seen at a concert. The best song for me was their cover of "We Are The Champions." // 10

Overall Impression: I saw the show at the Manchester MEN Arena Jan 29th 2005. New Found Glory opened and the did a good job, they got me moving even though I don't consider myself a fan and if you asked me to name a song I would have no idea. I loved the whole everything about the show the only thing that I didn't like was the fact he didn't give me a guitar but you can't win 'em all. My ticket cost about 20 and they sure as hell made sure we had a good time. If I had known how good it was I would have had no problem paying more. They best moment was getting people on stage, soaking the crowd with a water gun (which he got someone from the crowd to help with) and the effects. If they ever come to Manchester again I'll be buying my ticket, and I advise you to do the same. // 10

UK (Manchester), January 29, 2005 Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 10, 2005

Sound: Theres only one thing I can say about the overall sound of this gig - orgasmic. Billy Joe's voice is perfect as always, not missing any notes what so ever. The instruments they used was: Billy joe - Gibson black and white Les Paul, the infamous green Stratocaster with stickers on it (the one that can be seen in most Green Day videos) and others but I couldn't see because I was being crushed at the barriers. Mike - I don't know s--t all about bass guitars. Tre' - same with Tre Jason (back-up guitarist for the American Idiot songs) - used mainly Gibson Les Paul gutiars. Like I said before, the overall sound of this gig was orgasmic and the people Who have written reviews saying they sound 1,000 times better live then they do on CD are 100% correct. // 10

Perfomance: The audience ate Green Day's perfomance up like a stoner eats up pringles when he has the munchies. Even though the was a couple of stupid mini-moshers there (anybody Who doesnt know wot a mini-mosher is, its basicly a 12, 13, 14 yaer old Who pose as fans in black hoodies Who have only heard of the American Idiot stuff), but it was still a unforgetable gig no matter whos there. Set list (from wot I remember which isnt a lot): 01. Blitzkreig Bop (by the Ramones) - as a intro tape: this was really cool espically since I love the Ramones. I was pissed off by the lack of people Who didn't know what it was (and this is coming from a 16-year old). 02. American Idiot - a great opener despite the stupid mini-moshers. 03. Jesus Of Surburbria - I was overjoyed when they played this, I thought they wouldn't be able to pull this song off live when I first heard it on CD but they proved me wrong. 04. Holiday - another great song and near enough everyone knew the lyrics which was pretty cool. 05. We Are The Waiting/St. Jimmy - again these 2 songs me and my mate were prayin the would play. Espically because St. Jimmy is one of the best tracks from American Idiot. 06. Longview - one of my favorite Green Day songs just 'cause of the lyrics alone. Makes for a awesome song. 07. Hitchin' A Ride - another great song and yes Billy Joe did play with himself in his pants on stage in between this song. 08. Basket Case - the floor went ape-s--t for this song, and why shouldn't they? It is a classic. 09. She - you thought it couldn't get better then Basket Case but it did. They played she right after it and my god was it orgasmic. 10. King For A Day - not one of my favorites but it was good. 11. Knowledge - a great one from back in the days of slappy hours. 12. We Are The Champions (Queen) - easily the best cover any band on this earth could do of a Queen song. Very moving. 13. Boulevard Of Broken Dreams - well the song all the wannabe's waited for finnaly got played and it was ok. Damn wannabes! 14. Good Riddence (electric) - one of Green Days great ballads done with a disco ball. How could you complain. 15. Minority - a great inspiring song about the outcasts and Misfits. To me it's like the national anthem. A great song to finish on. There was probably more songs but like I said I have a s--t memory. The decoration and visual effects were amasing, I was lost for words. I can't describe how incredible it was but I can say it envolved confetti canoons firing special "American Idiot" confetti and pyros the melted my face (you could espically feel the heat where I was). Plus the had a drunk bunny on stage downing beers like most mature well behaved people would do: we encouraged HIM! And yes they did the fan band thing and man was I pissed off when he didn't choose me espically since I worked my ass off shoving my way to the front. // 10

Overall Impression: It was on 19th of January 2005 in Manchester at the MEN Aren. The openers for this gig was New Found Glory which were ok but my god I was relived when I saw them because all the way up to the gig rumours were flying that it was Good Charlotte and I hate them to death. Oh well. I didn't have to see them ('cause they weren't there) and my glass bottle wasnt thrown at GC so consider themselfs lucky. What did I love about the show? Everything. What did I hate about the show? It had to end sooner or later: the only bad thing I could say about this show was that they didn't play Welcome To Paradise or Nice Guys Finish Last. My (standing) ticket cost me 40 and it was worth every penny. The reason my ticket cost me 40 is because they sold out fast and I had to buy my ticket from a coach company that sells gig tickets. The most unforgettable moment of the show? Longview and We Are The Champions. The latter I will never forget as long as I lived. Will I go to their next gig - hell mutha f--kin yes! If I had the money. // 10

UK (Manchester), January 29, 2005 Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 27, 2005

Sound: It was an awsome gig and I would of done anything to go back and see it all over again if anyone gets the chance to see Green Day live then don't hezertate to go. The sound level was awesome and Billie Joe's voice was brilliant. // 10

Perfomance: At the gig the adiance was great. Billie pulled a moony at the adiance. I was expecting as a big fan they were going to play just the new album which I wasn't to pleased about but they played loads of the oldies such as (Warning, Basket Case, Minority and many more). // 10

Overall Impression: Manchester Evening News Aereana is exelent, it's massive and I met some pretty cool people. New Found Glory supported and so it was well worth 22.50 and I will most certanly be going back at the end of the year to see Slipknot. // 10

More Green Day reviews rating latest review