Australia (Sydney), May 8, 2009 Review

4.7
 9.3
review (1) user comments vote for this concert:
Australia (Sydney), May 8, 2009 Reviewed by: ahigs, on may 11, 2009

Sound: Gyroscope, to me, is one of those bands I always hear about, but never actually hear. I was happy to find they were my kind of music. Zoran Trivic had some impressive riffs, and Daniel Sanders proved himself a versatile singer, Brad Cambell showed his stuff by playing after slicing his hand open before the show, and Rob Nassif pounded away on the drums with the same energy the entire gig. I didn't catch a great look at the insturment, but it looked to me like Trivic used a Fender Tele, while it looked like Sanders prefered a solidbody Gretsch. As I said, I could be wrong, but thats what I think I saw. I couldnt see Cambell's bass. The sound had a gruff, gravelly tone to it for some songs, but it warmed up for some softer pop-y tunes as well. There were no issues with the guitars, and they swapped rarely, which allowed for a smoother show. Sometimes, however, there was a touch too much thrasing on Sanders part, but there was a lot of composure there. // 9

Perfomance: I think the audience loved them, I know I did. During some of the more well known songs, the pit was jumping, but even during their earlier stuff, there was a hard core of moshers. Setlist was good, I missed a few songs though: 01.Snakeskin: got the crowd going, really fired them up 02.1981: one of their better performances. flawless for the most part. 03.Australia: a calmer song, started a sway within the crowd. fairly well done. 04.Doctor, Doctor: without a doubt their best song of the night. Sanders jumped down into the pit (much to the horror of the security) and couldnt manage to extricate himslef amongst the fans. As a said earlier, Sanders jumped off stage into the pit during Doctor, Doctor. He tried to keep playing, but eventually had to jump back onstage, only to grab his mike and launch himself back into the audience. Overall, a rock solid performance, definitely one band to keep an eye on. // 10

Overall Impression: Playing in Australia at the Sydney Entertainment Centre on May 8, 2009, Gyroscope where the openers (alongside Tame Impala) for The Living End's Raise the Alarm tour. I loved Gyroscope sheer energy that they put into their performances, but at times, their antics appeared a little rehearsed. The tickets were $59.00 and whilst the majority of the crowd were there to see The Living End, it was worth the cash to catch some upcoming bands. Definitely I would consider going to Gyroscope's next show! // 9

More Gyroscope reviews rating latest review
+ Australia (Penrith), August 22, 2008 3.5 12/05/2008