USA (Hershey), June 15, 2005 Review

artist: judas priest date: 08/10/2006 category: live concerts
judas priest: USA (Hershey), June 15, 2005
The audience for the show was crazy metalhead teenagers and a lot of middle-aged people, reminiscing the old daysa and going crazy as much as the teenagers.
 Perfomance: 9.5
 9.7
 9.4
reviews (2) user comments vote for this concert:
USA (Hershey), June 15, 2005 Reviewed by: morelloman19, on may 05, 2006

Sound: Rob Halford is amazing live. As amazing as any recording you will ever hear of him. He's posture on the stage gives you the impression of a metal god in your presence, because that is what is happening. Glenn Tipton and K.K. Downing both endorse Hamer guitars, so both ripped it up on one, Glenn on a Hamer Stratocaster, K.K. on his usual red Hamer Vector. Scott Travis and Ian Hill provided the rhythym section with Tama drums and Zidjian cymbals, and Spector NS2 4 and 5-string basses. The sound was just the right combinations of volumes. Some bands have trouble with their live sound, especially the guitar-vocal and guitar-drum combinations, making sure each sound perfect together. // 10

Perfomance: The audience for the show I attended was crazy metalhead teenagers and a lot of middle-aged people, reminiscing the old daysa and going crazy as much as the teenagers. Priest opened with "The Hellion/Electric Eye" and went on to play new songs from the Angel of Retribution such as "Hellrider", "Judas Rising", "Deal With The Devil", and "Revolution". They then did hits from each of their albums, and the new acoustic version of the Joan Baez folk song "Diamonds And Rust" cover. The Encore included "Living After Midnight" "Hell Bent For Leather" and "You've Got Another Thing Comin'." My favorite part of the show was the elevators that shot Halford up all over the stage, moving from place to place within 3 seconds, leaving everyone marveling how they could do something like that so quick. // 10

Overall Impression: The show was at Giant Center in Hershey, PA, USA on June 15, 2005. Fellow metal icon Queensryche opened for Priest the whole tour (except a select few concerts in which Anthrax opened). What I loved about this show (and going to any rock show) included: Glenn Tipton and K.K. Downing playing to the crowd on either stage wing, Rob Halford's punishing presence on stage, and the ring in my ears the whole next day. If there is anything to hate about a Judas Priest concert, please tell me. My ticket cost $65.00 for 1st row seats on the side of the arena, and I would not have expected to pay a penny less for that great of a show. What I will always remember about the show is how united Priest fans are. Everywhere I turned there was an excited fan to sing along and bang my head with. That tells me that Priest will never die, at least not in the hearts of true fans. As soon as Priest releases their new album, which I have been hearing details of, I will be looking for a tour schedule and plan on going to see them. // 10

USA (Hershey), June 15, 2005 Reviewed by: AllFunkedUp92, on august 10, 2006

Sound: Rob's voice sounded amazing as usual. He was hitting all the high notes and screams like it was 1982. The mix was pretty lame but eh it's always that way nowadays. They were loud, I needed earplugs to protect my hearing! The double bass drums during songs like "Painkiller" literally vibrated our seats, that's how heavy and loud it was. // 8

Perfomance: There were about, by my estimation, 6000-7000 people there and everyone seemed to be lovin it. There wasn't much in terms of a stage show, some cheesy little fake flames during "Judas Rising". Good light show, the Eye was present during "Electric Eye" and a little elevator took Rob all over the stage. There were 3 backdrops I think, one before Judas Rising and one at the Encore break. Queensryche really didn't have a stage show. I thought there set was OK, but it was all obscure songs, only one spng from Empire and none from Operation Mindcrime. The crowd didn't really get into them but eh they were ok. Priest played about 2 hours and Queensryche playeed about an hour. Judas Priest set list: 01. The Hellion- classic intro guitar piece had everyone screaming. 02. Electric Eye - great opener, really kicked it off incredibly. 03. Metal Gods - classic Priest, great 1-2 punch with Electric Eye. 04. Riding On The Wind - nice obscure one here, sounded killer. 05. Touch Of Evil - one of the highlights of the show. 06. Judas Rising - first backdrop change, cheesy flames that were obviously fake were used. Still sounded great. 07. Revolution - another highlight, best new song. Sounded awesome live. 08. Breakin The Law - classic Priest; it got everyone up and screaming. 09. I'm A Rocker - very obscure tune, never heard it before, was pretty cool live. 10. Diamonds & Rust - Rob sang it great, gave me chills. 11. deal With The Devil - another new one, sounded good. 12. Beyond The Realms Of Death - I have never been huge on this one so it didn't really impress me. 13. Turbo Lover - hell yeah, classic Priest here. Sounded awesome. 14. Hellrider - the last of the new songs, I didn't think much of it. 15. Victim Of Changes - another tune I have never really been huge on, didn't excite me. 16. Exciter - not familiar with this one but damn it was awesome. 17. Painkiller - he is the painkiller! Incredible. Best song of the evening. Encore: 18. Hell Bent For Leather - when Rob came out on the Harley the crowd went f--kin nuts. It was crazy. Sounded awesome. 19. Living After Midnight - I thought this would have been a better closer than Another Thing Coming. was amazing. everyone was screaming and singing. 20. You Got Another Thing Coming - I'm really tired of this song so we just left to beat the traffic in the middle of it but what we heard was epic. // 9

Overall Impression: USA, Hershey, Giant Center, 6/15/05. Queensryche opened the show. I loved Judas Priest's set. I hated the fact Queensryche played literally no songs I was familiar with. I also hated that a good 3000 people were drunk off their asses. It was kind of uncomfortable at times. Tickets were about $50, I don't remember the exact cost but it was definitley worth it. I would see them again any day. // 9

More Judas Priest reviews rating latest review