UK (Newcastle), January 24, 2006 Review

7.8
 6.6
reviews (2) user comments vote for this concert:
UK (Newcastle), January 24, 2006 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 25, 2006

Sound: The singers were okay, at first it was hard to make out what they were saying (Especially Still Remains). The stage looked pretty cramped up for the first 3 bands and did look abit restricted. The vibrations were amazing could be felt all over the building, even in the bar! All in all it the sound was good enough but could of been better. // 8

Perfomance: Aiden were very good, interacted with the crowd alot and the songs were done to a good quality. He dedicated "Die Romantic" to a friend who died in the bay area. At the end of their part the got everyone in the audience to link and made a speech out every should look out for everyone n stuff like that. 9/10. Still Remains - were okay, too much screamo couldnt pull it off very well. They didnt interact to much, it was just like "We're here listen to us scream and enjoy it" but some of the songs were okay! 6/10. Hawthorne Heights - were pretty good, let the crowd sing along to "Niki FM" but during the break of each song they did ask the crowd to buy there new album which got annoying. But they were pretty okay. Bullet For My Valentine - what can I say, they were amazing! The crowd chanted "Bullet" for a straight 10minutes before they came on stage. Opened with "Four Words (To Choke Upon)" a few songs later they aknowledged "Cries In Vain" was the most popular song, so they let the crowd sing as much as they could (most of the song) so basically most of "Cries In Vain" was the crowd. Eventually after about 40minutes they left. So we thought, as the crowd started to leave they came back on and blasted into "Hand of Blood" which was the last song. 10/10. // 10

Overall Impression: This gig was pretty amazing! I feel sorry for the people who couldnt get in they missed out on something truly great. The most unforgetable moments were "Cries In Vain" and Bullet told the crowd to circle the middle so they did and there was a huge rumble which security had to split up. Venue: Carling Academy, Newcastle, UK. Ticket cost: 14 well worth it. // 10

UK (Newcastle), January 24, 2006 Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 30, 2006

Sound: Well this was my first time at Newcastle Carling Academy. Previously gigs have been held at the University nearby, which is a brilliant venue for live music. And to be honest my first impressions of this new venue were mixed. I arrived as early as I could (around 6: 45) and managed to walk literally all the way round the building to the back of the queue, by the time I got there we could see the front of the queue round the corner. The fact it's the UK in January didn't help much either as it was absolutly freezing out there. To be fair to the staff though it only took me 20minutes to get inside after the doors opened, although I did feel that opening the doors ten minutes early would've helped releive the pressure, but maybe thats just because I was at the back and all that. So yeah the sound.. horrible! It didn't seem so bad during aidens set but I really started to dislike it once still remains had taken to the stage. It seemed to simply bounce around the room, not really that loud for a gig. With all the hype I had heard surrounding the venue this was a big dissappointment. Aiden definatly had the best sound all night, as during all three other bands I find it nearly impossible to hear the vocals. Infact for most of bullets set I was telling which songs were being played by the crowd singing along. // 4

Perfomance: Aiden - I came in in the middle of one of their songs and basically ran onto the floor. I'd been worrying about weather I'd get inside in time to see these guys so I was very releived that their set went on for a while after I got in. Highlight of their set was possibly the 'Bravery Game', which was basically a wall of death. The crowds are always good in Newcastle so this worked very well. Frontman Will was brilliant, far more entertaining than any of the other bands. At one point he was held standing up in the crowd singing for a while and was always putting alot of effort into the performance. Still Remains - were the only band all night that I wasn't really there to see, and as I touched upon earlier the sound from now on was pretty bad. I did however recognise one of their songs, 'the worst is yet to come' which was their last song all night and got a great crowd reaction. I wasn't too sure about the whole keyboard thing when they were setting up but I thought it worked really well, and they keyboardist was energeting jumping around stage when he wasn't playing. Hawthorne Heights - I really was looking forward to this tonight. So I'm being nice when I say this ranged from good to utter balls. It all seemed so slow and weak, never really grabbing your attention or giving you any urge to dance along. The highlight song was definatly 'Ohio Is For Lovers' even though this was a bit half assed. Infact this band were more of a calm before the storm, a good chance to get back some energy before the headliners took to the stage. Shame. Bullet For My Valentine - I think the crowd might have been here mostly for this, the constant chanting of Bullet before they took to the stage gave that impression. I think they opened with 'Her voice resides' from their album 'The Poison', then again the crowd were louder than the vocals by now so I couldn't really tell. They were up to their usual high standards tonight though, getting the pit moving throughout. I think the only critisim I can give of this band is that the vocals were too quiet and the sound was a bit horrible, but I think thats more of a technician/venue problem. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall Impression - a good night, apart from the things i've already mentioned above. // 7

More Kerrang XXV Tour reviews rating latest review